one day I might retire to a Rolls Royce....

I am only 43, but I think later in life I might sell up some vehicles and retire to a pre 1935 Rolls Royce with a closed body. Have some weather protection in comfort in my old age!

Choices for me would be a 1920's Ghost or early 1930's 20/25.... I think I might prefer the 20/25... it's easier to handle drive and park, and cheaper to buy and run... it would be easier to find a "self drive sedan" or light limo without divider window in a 20/25 as the majority of closed Ghosts would be limos with dividers I expect.

Who knows, it might never happen. :)

But it is nice to dream.

Regards

Gavin

Educate yourself on Rolls Royce in the meantime. They're extremely complicated cars, not in the sense that they have more technology than other cars of the time, but that they're put together differently than other cars.

More bolts (they call it "sewing" together), more complicated mechanisms to do a simple task, and so forth.

I once read that, at the school that Rolls put on for chauffeurs, they taught them to brake by gently pressing the pedal, and then, at the last instant before the stop, easing pressure, so that there's no "bump stop" so to speak, but rather a smooth, easy, stop.

Good luck in your dream and search!

Yes I agree with that. They are built in a way only Rolls Royce cars are... to me they seem often use a very complicated mecahinism to do a simple job.

I would not want to get one that had lots of bits missing or was in parts or needed major mechaincal overhall, but body/coach work and painting/cosmetics present no fear for me.

In the past two weeks I have looked over in detail a 1922 Ghost fully closed limo, a 07 Ghost tourer and a 1911 Ghost open driver Limo. So the education has begun! :)

Regards

Gavin

Hi Gavin

What an excellent plan!!

I used to own a 25/30 with Hooper Limo body and rebuilt the engine a number of years ago. The cars are complex, but beautifully engineered. Once you get into the mindset of them it is hard to accept anything else.

I would suggest that a 20/25 with saloon body would be a great choice. Straightforward to maintain (relatively) and easy to drive. Once sorted you could drive anywhere in one.

I would try to find one with a light body if possible because they are not massively powerful.

Hope this helps

Adam..