Sign in to follow this  
John

Garage Find: 76 Riv F/S in NE PA

Went to pick up some parts I bought off craigslist today, and while I was there the seller showed me some of his cars, including a 76 Riviera he inherited from his grandmother. It has 40,800 miles and has been sitting in a garage for about 20 years. It is silver with red vinyl top and red interior, and the engine is a 455. Owner is a car guy, specializes in Pontiacs, and is planning to downsize by selling off everything else. He offered to sell the Riviera for $2500 as it sits, and include some NOS plastic filler panels to replace the cracked originals. At this point he hasn't done anything to prep it to sell and said he priced it accordingly.

Car is located in NE PA, about 1/2 hour west of Allentown. If anyone is interested you can PM me for the owner's contact info.

John

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Is this car by any chance an S/R model. One year only in '76. Some of the S/R's had the centers of the rally wheels are painted red.

Ed

Well, it doesn't have rally wheels, just full wheel covers, and the owner didn't mention S/R.

John

I know the S/R had fender badges on it, maybe a grill badge and something on the glove box. A couple of things are mentioned in the ROA's evolution of the Riviera series for 1976, but I don't know how complete that is.

Ed

I looked in a 76 showroom brochure and there is very little info on the S/R, which is an option, not a model. There is a picture of the S/R interior showing 40/40 front seat and console floor shift. No pictures of the badging and no summary of what is included with S/R. I'm guessing there might be a separate brochure for the Riviera that goes into more detail.

John

This is what is written about the S/R in the ROA's evolution article. Not much.

Also, the S/R trim package appeared for this year only. It consisted of 40/40 seats, power windows, and the S/R emblems on the front fenders. Only 1,619 S/R packages were sold. Only two interior colors were available, red, which was the most popular, and buckskin.

Found one today ......and its a garage find.......and its for sale! I have never seen one before today and didnt even know what it was. This one has been sitting (at least according to the inspection stickers)in the garage since 1989. It is cream with a beautiful red interior, stainless steel band on the roof and what appears to be a white landau top. The body is clean but its kind of hard to tell cause the car is behind 23 years of accumulated junk. It looks like it has the original tires. I wasnt prepared for this (actually I was working)so I dont have any pics. But I am thinking about buying it if the price is right. If it is as appears, a solid rust free car thats been sitting....any idea what its worth ?

Oh I guess I should specify.....its an S/R. Weird that I should find one (especially when I didnt even know they existed)and heres a post talking about one on the other side of the state that sounds very very similar to this one.

Dan

Edited by Dans 77 Limited (see edit history)

Dont really know just yet . I spoke with the owners wife today and he is supposed to call me tonight. I know he wants it out of his garage so he can put his early 90s Vette in the space.It does need some work , theres some rust on the front bumper and the plastic around the right taillight is busted, plus all the issues of sitting almost 30 years, but the rest of it is just dusty, but Im really hoping to score this thing cheap!!!! Getting the Electra for the steal that I did has made me notoriously cheap.

Dan

Found one today ......and its a garage find.......and its for sale! any idea what its worth ?

Dan

Interesting find. Really hard to say without more detail on condition, mileage, options , etc. Considering it may not have moved since 89 and the kucky (to me) color I'd say between $2000-$2500 but thats just what I would pay. If it was someones dream car its worth double that. The buyer will have several hundred bucks in getting it road ready and reliable. I'm not sure the S/R option would ad much to the value. It didn't really amount to much but does give it slightly more personality.