1958 Chevy Del Ray Clutch Linkage

Guest wbonebrake

Guest wbonebrake

I have a 1958 Chevy Del Ray, and I pulled the old 235 L6 out of it because it was locked up, and replaced it with a rebuilt 1969 Chevy 307 out of a '69 El Camino. I am having a hard time understanding how to put the clutch linkage back together. I have to change the bell housing on the transmission. I should also note that I am using the original 3 speed manual transmission that was in the car. The question I have, is will the original clutch linkage work in this application? Any help would be appreciated!

Perhaps an easier swap would have been to use a '57 to late '50's 283. Without seeing any pictures, I'm guessing that the bellcrank or I heard it called the "Z" bar location is differrent with the 235 and the V-8 powered models. Or it was changed some time between '58 and '69. Try to find a 1958 and 1969 Chevrolet passenger car factory manuals and see how the clutch linkage works with a V-8. Maybe it needs to be moved. In a project of mine in reverse I put a 250 L-6 in a '68 Chevrolet 1/2 ton that originally had a 307 in it. The bellcrank was further back for the V-8 and the L-6 was forward of the V-8's location. So I found a bracket from a V-8 that the bellcrank connects to and bolted the front of it to L-6's U shaped bracket and rear to the engine. I hope this helps.