16 Valve Smog test advise

Guest pnsurfin

Guest pnsurfin

I have a 1990 16 valve in excellent running condition with 81,000 miles that failed the California smog test. 2 years ago I failed the co test the first time, ran a bottle of Techron through the gas tank and pased the second time. This time I failed co the first time, ran a bottle of techron through the tank and passed the low speed test but failed the upper speed test by .75 once again on the co. I have newer NGK plugs, wires, distributor, cap/rotor and K&N air filter.. Car runs like a dream. Any sugestions?

Patrick

Part of the CA smog test is a visual verification of timing. If it is not right then the car can run clean and still not pass. My 91 Grand Marquis did that to me, making me decide to replace it rather than spend money on it, too bad I don't have time to find something close to me that I like and can afford.

do an oil change if one hasnt been done very recently, pcv valve, best 93 u can get, we used to have 94 available here and drive it balls to the wall and get that cat hot so its actually burning off everything. had to do it what my 350 chevy pickup this year, passed the 2nd time through. wouldnt pass standing idle, but fine at driving speeds