Sign in to follow this  
Dave Mellor NJ

Crosley pix

West,

That is a Crosley "Gasporter". Used at small airports and such.

Thanks for posting some interesting photos. The beach shot I have seen, there are a couple of versions. I think they rented the Hotshots to run on the beach and had several publicity photos or postcards available.

West, what part of the country did you see the Gasporter. A fair number have survived. I have heard of half dozen or so. Two have shown up to our Crosley Nationals over the years. There is one at an air museum in NY and a couple out West, etc.

Jim

The one I photographed is in "the vault" (basement) at the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville. The vault is not open to the public.

Thanks, didn't know they had one. Never heard how many were made but I think they are to cute to scrape, so survival rate is probably high.

First of all, Dave, thanks for posting the Crosley Pictures. I had seen both of the first 2 before, but the third is a new one for me. Interestingly, I spoke to a guy at Charlotte this past weekend who claimed to have rented a Hotshot on the beach at Daytona in his younger days. West , thanks for the pictures from Jeff's basement. He has a real unique collection. I really was hoping to talk to you at Charlotte, sorry I missed you. Jim, do you know what happened to Henry Stetler's Gasporter after the auction last year?? Don, I think that Jeff Lane traded a Farm O Road he had for that pickup. I seem to remember him using it for a Christmas toy drive a few years ago.

Here are a couple of pictures of a 1948 Crosley that I saw for sale at the January 2012 Turlock, CA swap meet. Somehow, they shoved a SBC 350 under the hood, a 350 trans 4 bolt with a 56 Oldsmobile rear end. An improvement?

post-30688-143138940822_thumb.jpg

post-30688-143138940833_thumb.jpg