Anybody need a '51 76c parts car?

retirednow

Dave

Thank you for posting. It's just one of those very interesting auctions. How does an uber-rare 51 top of the line Buick convertible end up in the alpine region of Wisconsin, there so long it's going back to nature (drivers side)?

Not sure what production was but outside of the Roadmaster Estate Wagon there had to be scant few 51 Roadmaster convertibles made and most probably went to warmer climes then north central Wisky.

I am trying to get a hint of the color and the lower dash appears to be that "mint" green so popular in the early 50's.

Not sure if that translates to body color as I am no 1951 Buick expert. But thank you for posting. When it was deposited, it was straight and appears to be complete. There it has sat for decades. (Look at that moss "pile" on the right rear fender)

And why do they always take the radios out of these old cars???!!!

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

You're welcome! My '52 56c has the same color combo on the dash. Exterior color is verde green. Radio is out of my car also lol, but it came with one out of a '53 special-Dave BCA#46470 1952 56c

Dave

Thank you for posting. It's just one of those very interesting auctions. How does an uber-rare 51 top of the line Buick convertible end up in the alpine region of Wisconsin, there so long it's going back to nature (drivers side)?

Not sure what production was but outside of the Roadmaster Estate Wagon there had to be scant few 51 Roadmaster convertibles made and most probably went to warmer climes then north central Wisky.

I am trying to get a hint of the color and the lower dash appears to be that "mint" green so popular in the early 50's.

Not sure if that translates to body color as I am no 1951 Buick expert. But thank you for posting. When it was deposited, it was straight and appears to be complete. There it has sat for decades. (Look at that moss "pile" on the right rear fender)

And why do they always take the radios out of these old cars???!!!

Something weird has happened with the Dynaflow - look at the transmission hump, or maybe the transmission has been removed and that's how they got to the top bolts.

Some good pickings for either 51 76C or a 51 56C ( seats, top bows/mechanism ).

Stuart,

One of the photos is of a 47-54 era Chevy pickup so I believe they are putting some of these relics on ebay and not altogether sure of what they have.

I agree with the photo of the trans. At 1st I thought maybe early 50's Buicks had the hump bolted down for access to the top of the transmissions. Like I said, I'm no 50's Buick expert.

I have bid on it. I think it's admirable for the seller to list it at less then American crusher prices, which could yield $450 for the car. That said, if someone wins, then they have to dig this one out and it saves the seller some time. Maybe the crusher noticed the amount of work involved in this yard and made their offers accordingly.

Earlier this year I ran across one of these (1951 76-C) in a salvage yard about 50 miles from here. The guy wanted $1100 for it, and it was in much worse condition than this one on e-bay. I think I still have a photo. The only useable parts were the rusty top bows and the beltline mouldings. The floor was gone, frame rusted, and doors would not close because the body has buckled inward. Sad ending to a once proud and rare car.

post-32059-143138938514_thumb.jpg

Stuart,

One of the photos is of a 47-54 era Chevy pickup so I believe they are putting some of these relics on ebay and not altogether sure of what they have.

I agree with the photo of the trans. At 1st I thought maybe early 50's Buicks had the hump bolted down for access to the top of the transmissions. Like I said, I'm no 50's Buick expert.

I have bid on it. I think it's admirable for the seller to list it at less then American crusher prices, which could yield $450 for the car. That said, if someone wins, then they have to dig this one out and it saves the seller some time. Maybe the crusher noticed the amount of work involved in this yard and made their offers accordingly.

1950 Models had a removable transmission hump/cover but I seem to recall the 1951 and later models didn't.

Looking closer at the pics it certainly looks like the Dynaflow transmission has been removed and this is how the top bolts have been accessed. Can't see any rear springs either so the rear end may have been pulled back to get it out as well.

As previously said - still good pickings for those with the same model so good luck Bryan.

On my system you can clearly see the TEETH of the flywheel/flex plate....... I'm not saying the tranny has been removed, it could be under it all, but I doubt it.

Jack each corner up, put on some rims/tires, and give it a tug. It might not be as suck as it appears.

Dale in Indy

Email to seller came back that the engine is there and they are not a salvage yard. These are "Grandpas cars", so the next generation is selling them.

I have been outbid, barely. I think the rear end is under there. This is a case where I think if the car would have been put up on blocks years ago, it would be a decent restorable car. As such, it was put on the ground and slowly sunk.

I don't think I want to chase it (bidding on ebay) I thought for $300 it was worth the $1000 to get it and bring it back to Iowa, but not much higher.

Amazing. It was at $305 with 2 hours to go. People were watchingh it with the intent of grabbing it. Was in communication with the seller. He said he noticed these cars at a relatives house and wanted to know if it was OK to try and sell them instead of crushing. Grandma said sure and there you go.

It always amazes me that these cars are out there - still out there in the woods we probably pass every day. This was one of those cars.

• 4 months later...

I received a response from the seller and he says it is the exact same car. Looks like he is getting more for it. But there was a lot of work and time involved in it's extraction. He has done a service in bringing it out and assessing it. Same car though.

I remember seeing a car that met the reserve once on Ebay, really, I did.

I remember a few years ago when Barnum & Ebayley announced they sold their millionth car. I think they had to list 10 million to do it. Maybe more.

Bernie, reserved and seldom met.

I remember seeing a car that met the reserve once on Ebay, really, I did.

I remember a few years ago when Barnum & Ebayley announced they sold their millionth car. I think they had to list 10 million to do it. Maybe more.

Bernie, reserved and seldom met.

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good" - Gordan Gecko (from the movie Wall Street)

Not my sentiments. I do not begrudge a person for making a little profit but according to this thread the car sold for a little over $1300 last time. Take into account the work involved in removal, even though I communicated with the seller and he said he would help with a machine - even if you double this you are only around $2500-$2600 (includes transport/trouble)

So, maybe I would have put a $3000 reserve on it and it would have sold for double that? I would have been happy as heck with that. Just because a vehicle is a rare 50's Buick convertible, does not make it a gold mine-in this condition.

Think about it. IF you are Jay Leno, you have the funds to buy this car, but you don't need to. If you are a "normal" guy that likes these, then you think twice because it's going to take $80,000 or more to restore it "right", so the actual marketplaces (buyers) is pretty slim. If I have $80,000, I'm certainly not buying that car.

Just my thoughts.

the pictures are gone now, but I seem to recall seeing a lot of the lower edges of the doors and floors and fenders missing due to rust away.

The whole underside is essentially gone. Maybe its still worth 6000+ even in parts, ... so at least you get an assembled collection of parts, now that they are out of the woods so to speak.

I'm all for some profit, even beyond a little. I still remember the day my High School business teacher told us about tangible and intangible goods. I knew what I wanted to sell that day. I just get tired of seeing the same Reserve Not Met time after time on Ebay. I will take my que from Star Trek and "Boldly ask the price no man has asked before." At least you know it. Believe me I don't begrudge anyone profit. Its the whole reserve thing. If someone spent time and effort to get me to look at a car; then told me the price was a secret, they will be having their next conversation with the guy who said "Make me an offer." I'm gone.

I wasn't born cynical and opinionated, experts made me this way.

Bernie