1955 Roadmaster Wheels & Tires

Paul Falabella

Hello,

Just got a 55 Roadmaster in Black. Would like to change wheel color to Cherokee Red. Was the wheel red both front and rear or just front ? Also what is the closest available whitewall width to original? Tires on car now have a 3 1/4" WW only see 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 from Firestone or Goodrich.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

The red was on all 5 wheels as an option (that is including the spare!) For the original WWW width, the 2 1/2 is the correct number on bias ply tires. 7.60 x 15 would be the basic tires for your Roadmaster, with an option to have 8.00 x 15, if you wanted those. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Here is how 8.20s look like on a 1957 Roadmaster. I think that reproduced 8.00 or even 7.60s would look better.

Thanks Jim,

Were wheels painted red both sides? And closest size to 8.00x15 is a 8.20x15 BF Goodrich, choice of 2 1/2 or 3 1/2" ww. 3 1/2 too big?

Thanks again

post-54279-143138932924_thumb.jpg

The General Dual 90 was a somewhat premium tire when it was new. The "dual" part is that rather than about 5 different tread ribs, it had what could be said to be two treads (like two thin tires placed together). I don't recall General tires being OEM production tires, though, just "replacement". General was a respected brand, as U.S. Royal, but not quite the same as (from what I remember) B. F. Goodrich Silvertown, Firestone Deluxe Champion, or Goodyears. Usually not too many dealers outside of the larger metro areas, back then, either.

You really need to have all FIVE tires to be the same size, even the spare. The 8.20x15 is somewhat taller in dimension, too, which makes it fill the wheel wells a little too much (height AND width). Not just the spare tire well. It can also make the speedometer read "slow" in speed and miles, too!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Appreciate the comments and understand the slightly larger size of the 8.20. The problem is that I don't see an original size(8.00x15) offered in a name brand with close to original width white wall. I see only Lester in that size. The General seems to be closest in size and WW width(2.75"). Everything else(Firestone, Goodyear) are all 8.20's or have a 3.5" WW, which I think is too big.

Just noticed US Royal 8.20x15 at Universal with a 2.75" WW. Closer to a OE tire maybe.

Thanks for that info. I'm thinking 2 1/2 a little narrow for 55 though. Looked in the BCA judging manual and all it says is to take a deduction for a 1/2" or more in width of WW from factory original. Can't find anywhere that says what original was.

Universal tire guy says 3 1/2 is right, several fellows here say 2 1/2 is . Got old Allstate 3" now and think they look pretty good(tires are tired). May just go with US Royal 2 3/4" 8.20-15's.

So you are saying, HIS WW'S ARE PORTA WALLS? I would be very surprised if he had FAKE WHITE WALLS. With his clout, tire makers would make real white walls for him. He has driven that car at speeds that PORTA WALLS would fly apart, IMO.

Like you said, HE CAN AFFORD IT.

Dale in Indy

P.S. If U google, JAY LENO'S 55 BUICK ROADMASTER there is a video and he discusses in length the wheels, 17" and special made hub caps. He also mentions that the white walls make it look original, I'm sure they are the real thing. HE CAN AFFORD IT, good for him, huh?

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Sheesh! It is amazing how many people think that Jay Leno's CUSTOM CAR is the standard for all 55 Buicks. Like the guy that had his very nice Century convertible painted like the Leno car and complained because there was a mandatory deduction for non-authentic color of paint when judged.

Willie

He built it like he wanted it, NOTHING WRONG with building to your own needs/desires.

Dale,

You seem to be arguing for arguing sake. I agree (as I know Old-Tank does) with your statement above 100% .

However, when the OP asked what the correct size whitewall was you said this:

I went to GOOGLE, typed in PICTURES OF 1955 BUICK ROADMASTER, and lots of pictures are shown. It's hard to tell, lots of them appear to be very WIDE WW's., I noticed Jay Leno's car has what appears to be 2-1/2"

The implication is that you are answering his question on correct whitewall width.

Mr. Leno's car is a beautiful example of a 55 Roadmaster, and arguably the most famous 55 street rod on the planet. I would love to have one just like it in my garage sitting next to my two other stock 55's and my altered driver 1955 (minus the Oakland Raider colors)

The question was about correct width. The correct width is 2 1/2". That is how they came from the factory.....

And the whitewall faced into the center of the trunk Right Lamar?

:);)

That's the problem with putting something in writing, those reading such don't get hear the TONE of voice, or see body movements of the writer. My comment that Google pictures MIGHT give him some info was just giving him more info so as he could decide what width was original. . I guess I didn't do a good job of explaining such, and for that I AM SORRY. I didn't meant to appear to be arguing.

My comment on the video was JUST A PERSONAL THING, NOT DIRECTED AT A SOLE.

No hard feelings here, I still LOVE YOU ALL,

Dale in Indy

Hi Guys

I am not sure if the 2.5" is correct in 55, my green Roadmaster with 11,000 original miles had the US Royal tires on it and they are closer to 3". 1956 for sure was 2.5" and in 1957 they went to the 2.25" whitewall width. I believe that the 54 55 would be closer to 3" whitewall width and the 53 would be even wider closer to 3.5".

See the attached pictures. I put on Firestone 8.20x15 on the Roadmaster with the 3.5" whitewall and it gives about a 50% ratio of white and black and looks fairly close to the spare tire.

Steve

post-30926-143138940667_thumb.jpg

post-30926-143138940677_thumb.jpg

post-30926-143138940686_thumb.jpg

post-30926-143138940695_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Oh I almost forgot, take a look at these pictures of a new 1955 Roadmaster in 1955 on Topanga Canyon Boulevard in Los Angeles. Look at the ratio of the whitewall and blackwall, just around 50%.

Steve

Glad to see these cars had a puckered door card and a dent in the body seam on the rocker panel when new! I was worried about that on my car, Im not now!