Dick Clark

Dave Mellor NJ

No more Bandstand man. My mother always thought he was the ginchiest. The last few years it was a sin that they kept trotting him out at Times Square and he looked like he had already expired. May he "rust" in peace. Here he is with Conway Twitty and Chubby Checker.

explorepahistory-a0h3c4-a_349.jpg

Too bad he ratted others out to save his own skin during the late '50s payola scandals. Don Cornelius, on the other hand, who also died recently, was a class act through and through.

Now back to the cars. Anyone know what Yehudi Menuhin drove?

As I remember around 1956-57 (7th grade) we would sometimes take the bus in the afternoon from Haddonfield N.J. into Phily for the American Bandstand show. My memory is sketchy now but I think the show was on locally every day after school. Dick Clark made Rock & Roll respectable.

Yes it was on every afternoon after school on the old channel 6 WFIL, now it's WPVI 6 in Phila. It was on I believe from 1956-1963 in Phila. Than moved to L. A. in 1964 and went national at that time. Great show to look at as a preteen. LOL

My mmemory is a bit foggy, but I think Dick Clark started in 1956, but American Bandstand started on WFIL a few years earlier, I think it was Alan Fried (?). So, while Dick Clark did not originate AB, he certainly made it what it was. Kids in my town occcasionally skipped school to make the hour trip to Phila for AB, and a Cheese Steak. Give that beat a "9". While Dave was a "pre"teen, I was already a teen, so his memory is probably a bit better.

John

In 1977 I started working at a Ralph's Grocery store as a box boy (clerk's helper if you want to be p.c.). It was a popular spot situated between Beverly Hills and the Sunset Strip. Night shifts were best to see stars like Carol Burnett, Lucille Ball, Red Skelton, Shirley Jones, Bob Barker, James Garner, etc. come in and shop. Once in awhile rock n' rollers/musicians like George Harrison, Barry Manillow, Johnny Cash, Ray Manzerick, Joan Baez, Mick Jaggar - and many who would headline at the Whiskey on the Sunset Strip would come in just before 2AM for beer. All would get some extra 'love and attention' from the employees as celebs often did at the time (and still do).

After 16 months working as a box boy, I got promoted to cashier (clerk if you want to be p.c.). Two weeks of training and my first shift was an 11p - 7:30a Saturday night shift.

My first customer was Andy Williams accompanied with Donny Osmond and Marie Osmond. My woman manager was awe struck with Williams (she asked for his autograph at the checkstand) and the box boys were salivating over Marie (nowadays, many of those same box boys might also salivate over Donny). Back then it was customary in this location to announce over the PA (public address) a celebrity message when a celebrity had checked out his/her groceries.

As they were leaving, the manager says over the PA:

"Ralphs would like to extend a warm welcome and a good evening to Donny and Marie Osmond and to the greatest singer, entertainer and humanitarian around, Andy Williams". All three couldn't get out the door as shoppers went to get an autograph.

Meanwhile, my third customer happened to be Dick Clark who was with Smokey Robinson and Dionne Warwick (she wasn't nutso back then). As I was checking the groceries, he turned around to the cashier behind him, took the PA (one was at each check stand) and said:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is Dick Clark. The great singer, entertainer and humanitarian Andy Williams would like to treat all of you to Fatburgers across the street for a burger and fries".

The market froze in time for about 15 minutes as all six stuck around to answer questions and sign autographs.

Dave, I am not a Mustang person but your Boss in this color look great.

Eric

Yes it was on every afternoon after school on the old channel 6 WFIL, now it's WPVI 6 in Phila. It was on I believe from 1956-1963 in Phila. Than moved to L. A. in 1964 and went national at that time. Great show to look at as a preteen. LOL

Dick Clark took over the already existing "Bandstand" from Bob Horn who was fired after being caught driving drunk. The show didn't become AMERICAN Bandstand till they moved to LA. The "Rockin' New Year's Eve" Has been hosted by Ryan Seacrest for a few years.

Dick Clark took over the already existing "Bandstand" from Bob Horn who was fired after being caught driving drunk. The show didn't become AMERICAN Bandstand till they moved to LA. The "Rockin' New Year's Eve" Has been hosted by Ryan Seacrest for a few years.

It must have gone national before 1964 because we were watching in 1956 in L.A.

Another nice guy takes the big adventure.

SD.

It must have gone national before 1964 because we were watching in 1956 in L.A.

Another nice guy takes the big adventure.

SD.

I read that it didn't add "American" to the title until they moved to LA. They probably broadcasted it around the country while they were still in Philly and just"Bandstand".

I hesitated to post this as it wasn't Antique auto related per se but most of us gray heads harken back to the carefree days of the Bandstand scene and the number of responses bear it out.

Dick Clark's father was a good friend of the General Manager of WFIL and asked if he had a summer job for his son who was a sophomore at Syracuse U. Clark did the 7UP Commercials while Bob Horn did the show. Mrs. Annenberg saw him and thought he would look great with the children considering Bob Horn was 36 at the time, the rest is history.

Archived