1933 dodge 4dr sedan

Guest Ian Wight

Guest Ian Wight

Can anyone tell me if this car had a luggage rack that mounted on the back? I would like to add one to my car. If you have photos, that would be great.

Can anyone tell me if this car had a luggage rack that mounted on the back? I would like to add one to my car. If you have photos, that would be great.

The luggage rack was an accessory for 1933.

Guest Ian Wight

Any idea where I could find photos? I have tried Dodge Brothers. Would same part be from Plymouth of that year?

Guest stephen48

Here is an original one I photographed at the side of the road North of Auckland NZ about 20 years ago. Luggage rack is clearly visible.

(Can you post a picture of your Dodge ? )

post-76051-143138931915_thumb.jpg

Edited by stephen48
typo (see edit history)

Guest johnhorace

If your '33 had a rack when it left the factory, there will be a four bolt mounting through the rear tin (with two rubber flanges for appearance and to cover the slots in the tin), and a substantial mounting base under the tin to support the weight of a trunk. It will be difficult to add a trunk rack properly if not so equipped. From rear of car as shown in photo above, bottom of rack moves backward to become rear of horizontal deck, and top moves down to become front of horizontal deck. My car had the mountings, but not the actual rack; I fabricated the rack braces above the tin (my own, very basic, design), and used a generic old rack deck to hold a trunk. Not original, but very functional. Two of the shots in the Google reference above are of my sedan. If you can access the photos on my AACA forum profile, there is a good rear shot of my car showing the trunk.

Edited by johnhorace
clarity (see edit history)

Guest johnhorace

If you could show a photo of the rear of your car, I might be able to tell if a trunk rack was part of the original car.

Guest johnhorace

The rack brackets in STEPHEN48's photo above do not look the same as the ones on U.S. models of the '33 Dodge.

Guest johnhorace

In addition to the trunk rack photo shown above, and the one of the trunk shown on my car, there were also a couple of options for a "formed" trunk on the 1933 Dodge. For examples, Google "Dodge 1933 car pics", and look at "33 Dodge 4 dr sedan" photos 6, 14 and 16. The formed trunk uses a different type of mounting scheme than a rack (I've never seen one in real life, only photos).

Have you come up with a photo of the rear of your car yet? I'd like to see it.

Edited by johnhorace
grammar correction (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
Guest Bob1933

Ian - If you are still there, yes to the1933 Dodge that my grandfather had for many years. Your can find pics at google images with 1933 Dodge sedan. The pull-down shade in the rear window and rear foot rest like a Mercedes also impressed me. His had side fender mounted spares. - Bob Malcom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest 62chevpu

1933 Dodge had a luggage rack if the car had side mount dual spares or spare  in the front fender. If your car has a tire mounted in the rear it would not have a luggage rack. If you don't have a picture of a luggage rack, I can provide one if you email me at wallyc@hotmail.com. I can't get my comupter to load pictures on this forum.