Sign in to follow this  
Snake

new member with 65 rivi

Hey all, been looking at this forum for while now, about a year and a half I obtained a 425 single 4 all matching , almost every option. Getting ready to send her to paint this week, stripped all the trim and chrome, door handles too, shaving it. Pulled the engine and tranny last week due to a vibration at about 3000 rpm, and yes the guy that sold me the car said it was rebuilt motor and tranny but couldn't produce paperwork, so I took it for as is , he put a new flywheel but installed it wrong, with that ruled out I still am sending the motor out to get balenced and .20 over with new forged TRW pistons. Got all the nice stuff for it 66 qjet intake mani that I port matched and did the doc duel plane, 7042240 qjet, Mooneyes valley, fenton valve covers, obrian breathers eelco plug covers, allum star wars air cleaner isky 1101 cam, getting the heads ported , I ported the exhaust manis , getting them cermachrome coated intake too. She will be painted two tone PPG black on top and gunmetal grey on bottom , leather wrapped interior blah, blah , blah you guys get the picture. I want her to go as much as show so any advice is welcome. I named her the "Highway Star":cool:

Sounds like a sweet ride, but without pics, this thread is useless. JK. But, please do post pics, and welcome to the forum. Good to hear about another 65 saved from the scrap yard.

I most certainly will , I'm uploading photos from my phone, not sure how to do this I.I know my daughter is 10 she could figure this out.

I most certainly will , I'm uploading photos from my phone, not sure how to do this I.I know my daughter is 10 she could figure this out.

love it ! :cool:

How do you like the fenton valve covers, I saw that obrien's is doing reproductions, is that what you bought or do you have originals? I like the style of them just curious about the quality, I've been told that pml (yourcovers.com) makes awesome ones for the rivs.

I bought the repops from O'Bian truckers, my father was the head metal polisher for Fenton back in 1961 to 67 and said these valve covers look real nice quality, and he did remember polishing those valve covers along with lots of other products, the owner of Fenton was Harvey Fienklestien my fathers boss was Bud Armstrong, Buds son had a show 1958 Impala that he would let the company use while he was away in the service, they used to install products and take to shows, they would tell my Father " put a jewelry finish on it Jack"!

Snake, this thread is driving me crazy because I would like to see some pictures

of your Riviera! Pics please!

Sorry Seafoam65 I only have an IPad and trying to upload these pics, not sure how to do, can I get some help! The moment I start you'll have to tell me to stop.

When you're in the reply box, the third icon from the right in the tool bar (tree in a window?) is your image upload link. I figured it so it should be a piece of cake for you.

Sorry Seafoam65 I only have an IPad and trying to upload these pics, not sure how to do, can I get some help! The moment I start you'll have to tell me to stop.

When you're in the reply box, the third icon from the right in the tool bar (tree in a window?) is your image upload link. I figured it so it should be a piece of cake for you.

There are a lot of different methods of getting the pictures downsized enough that the Riviera Forum

will accept them. I can tell you how I do it, but there are many other ways to accomplish the same thing. I take pictures with my digital camera and then load them into my computer into my

"1965 Buick Riviera file". The pictures will load into my computer just fine directly from my camera,

but the Riviera Forum will reject them as being too large so I downsize the images by half before

posting them. I have a program I've downloaded into my computer called "Infanview" What I do is,

after I have the full size pictures in my computer file, one picture at a time I click on a picture that is too large and bring it up full size on my computer screen. I then right click on the picture and slide

the cursor across the "open file with" line and onto Infanview. This brings the picture up on the screen with Infanview. Then on my keyboard I hit control R, and infanview brings up a chart with boxes indicating the desired size of the picture. I click on the box that is half the original size then

hit save. Next I hit Control S and I hit save on that screen and it replaces the original size picture in my computer with one that is half as large. Now I am ready to post up my pics. I go to the thread and hit "reply", type in "here are some pics" then below the box I typed in I click on "Go Advanced" That will bring up a box below the posted thread where I click on "manage attachments"

That will bring up a box where it asks me to "select file". I click on "select file" I then bring up the desired picture file on the screen and click on the picture I want to post and in the box I click on

"download the file" and it will be attached to my post. If I have another picture to post, I just click on the "select file" at the top of the box and click on another picture the same way, then hit "download the file". When I am finished loading all my pics, there is a box that says "done" . I click on that and the pictures are then attached to my post, then I just submit the post. I know this all sounds complicated, but it is very easy once

you learn how to do it......only takes a couple of minutes to do a picture post.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Was able to post this, not sure how I did it. This is a repop of the star wars aircleaner in aluminum, polished to go with Fenton valve covers and GT breathers all accents are painted POR-15 ford red, not pictured is moon eye valley cover Eelco spark plug covers with ceramic chromed exhaust manifolds and q-jet manifold

post-84635-143142959799_thumb.jpg

2011 in stock form, getting it running, taking off door handles and installing remote poppers, electric moonroof ( factory bend) shaved all emblems except trunk tri shield, pointing out all corrections for body shop and stripping all fenders & chrome.

post-84635-143142967529_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967443_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967461_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967477_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967494_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967513_thumb.jpg

Had a vibration issue at about 2500 rpm, since I was going to paint entire car custom and engine bay too, I pulled the engine and tranny to take a look see. investigating the vibration issue took me too check the off set flywheel, and yes it was installed wrong.

post-84635-143142967595_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967548_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967564_thumb.jpg

post-84635-14314296758_thumb.jpg

After further inspection of checking pistons cylinder cross hatch and pistons were .030 over, it ensures that it was a fresh rebuild but the person doing the rebuild work was not familiar with buicks. The tranny was taken to a shop to get checked out and was also a fresh rebuild. as for the tranny I had a trans go shift kit installed and new socket connection on the switch pitch detent. I pulled the heads and did my homework on porting and started the porting and polishing business myself. Also under the blue paint on the heads was red original paint, I checkec the head numbers and they are from a 1966 but the block is original.

post-84635-143142967629_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Snake (see edit history)

Here is just a bit of the porting work I started, found out the hot set up was a 1966 Q-jet manifold, that I ported ala Gesseler style and port matched and ported the exhaust manifolds also.

post-84635-143142967729_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967647_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967662_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967677_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967693_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142967713_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics....looks like a nice project....keep the pics coming and we'll watch

your progress.

Hey Snake,

You may want to read up on some recent threads on this forum about using Sharpies to mark things on the body. Some members say that there could be a bleed-thru issue with new paint. I'm sure that if you enter 'Sharpies' in the search window you can read up on it. IMO worth looking into as you enter the paint (read expensive) phase.

I'll check it out, but I will post the progress it's been painted but body was stripped to bare metal with 80 grit and sanded with 500 before epoxy priming.

Hey Snake,

You may want to read up on some recent threads on this forum about using Sharpies to mark things on the body. Some members say that there could be a bleed-thru issue with new paint. I'm sure that if you enter 'Sharpies' in the search window you can read up on it. IMO worth looking into as you enter the paint (read expensive) phase.

meanwhile back at the body shop car was stripped to bare metal using 80 grit then hand sanded with 500, now time to look at all the repairs.

post-84635-143142968726_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142968694_thumb.jpg

post-84635-143142968711_thumb.jpg