Collecting Antique Televisions and Radios

MarkV

So, completely off cars! (kind of!) I have recently gotten into collecting Antique televisions! I just picked up a 1960 Zenith Space Command 300, and it still works! It was the first television to come with a built in remote control! So, is there anyone else out there in AACA who collects this stuff?

On my do list this year is a visit to the Antique radio museum in Windsor (I think, will confirm it since this topic came up) CT, likely in conjunciton with their annual car show. The stuff from the 50s - 60s is fairly easy to find, old enough to people are likely to keep rather than throw away and common enough to be inexpensive. I am looking for just the right vintage radio for my den right now...

I do tube radios and phonographs, once in a while an early solid state if it's in pristine condition but it has to be pristine. I generally go for RCA Victor, Zenith and Philco equipment.

Current treasures are a 1915 Zenith (they were still Chicago Radio Labs then) and a 1927 Metrodyne Super Seven "Egyptian Front", http://www.indianaradios.com/Metrodyne%20Single%20Dial%20Super%207%20Radio.htm both battery powered table sets. I was given a 1942 Philco console battery operated farm set a while back- rough, but rare.

Also have a bunch of mid-century monaural and stereo phonographs. Current project is getting a 1961 Zenith Stereophonic portable working again, just trying to decide whether to stick with the OE cartridge or to upgrade to one that tracks a little lighter.

Did I mention there are stacks of 50s-60s vinyl LPs around to play on these? RCA Victor Red Seal and "Living Stereo" pressings are very fine quality as are Columbia Six-Eye and Masterworks labels, and some Capitols. The Victor analog recordings can easily compare with (and sometimes put to shame) most modern digitally recorded music.

Edited by rocketraider
add link to pic of Super Seven (see edit history)

Well you would be surprised out here in California stuff that is over 10 years old is not common! I bought the 1960 Zenith Space Command for $30 from a guy who was going to toss it! It works (I am ordering a couple of new tubes). The wood is beautiful! Most of this stuff goes out to the 'green' scrap drives. I saw several 1970's cabinet TVs out in the scrap pile for one of the 'green' things. Also out here many people chucked their old sets when they went to digital. Because people were dumb and thought that their tv would not work. I remember at the time I bought a Sony Trinitron 20 inch (for the garage) for 4 bucks! The thrift stores were deluged with TVs and no one was buying them!

If the Space Command tuner works, it is worth more than $40.

My dad had an early TV remote control too. It was a Glenn. Changing the channels wasn't as bad as adjusting the antenna, because no matter how clear the picture was he wanted to tweak it just a bit more.

After I moved out he went and bought a TV with a remote.

On my do list this year is a visit to the Antique radio museum in Windsor (I think, will confirm it since this topic came up) CT, likely in conjunciton with their annual car show. The stuff from the 50s - 60s is fairly easy to find, old enough to people are likely to keep rather than throw away and common enough to be inexpensive. I am looking for just the right vintage radio for my den right now...

I drove up for their "annual car show" last summer, and in keeping with what my mom used to say about "if you can't say anything good, then just keep quiet," I will refrain from comments about THAT.

The museum itself, however, looks to be pretty cool, from the quick browse I did while I was there.

Continental- consider a Magnavox or Curtis Mathes console, which will usually have a TV, AM-FM tuner and phonograph all in one. The Maggie (or an RCA or Zenith if you can find one) will also have nice fine-furniture cabinetry.

The Curtis Mathes, while without peer electronically, tend toward near cheesy on their cabinetry. When it comes to fit and finish, they're kinda like 50s-60s Chrysler products compared to their GM contemporaries, though they can often outperform them.

Who was it who said "I never throw aqnything away, I've been married _____ years. (You fill in the blanks).

Well, up for grabs is my mahogany 12" table model Philco from 1950. We bought it as newlyweds in 1953, when having any tv was a big deal. It's FREE. With it you get a spare picture tube and a Sams schematic. The knobs got lost. U pick up here. Anyone??

As a side to Crosley cars, I collect everything Crosley. Particularly radios. Since that was Crosley's biggest (arguably) business, it is realtively easy to find them. Televisions with the Crosley name came after Powel sold the company, but I look for them also. Crosley made so many things before cars, that it is fun to look no matter where you go. I have a Crosley Icyball refrigerator unit, and the vaccuum pump to a Crosley Xervac (a hair growing machine). What I'd really like to find is a Go-Bi-Bi which was an early baby walker made by Crosley. If anyone has one, I'd love to talk to you (read as negotiate for) about it. One of the early Ameriolas made by Crosley would be nice to find also.

Motor vehicles are the exception as antiques at 25 years. In the ANTIQUE WORLD, an item must be 100 years old to be considered an antique. Until then the item is considered as vintage. There are no known antique TVs but some very very nice vintage TVs. I am lucky enough to have several nice vintage items that I hope will be antiques in my lifetime.

Guest RainierHooker

I don't really collect them specifically, but in my circa 1962 den I have this RCA-Victor Deluxe...

smDSC_3412.jpg

And in my Empire/Deco styled living room I have this Brunswick that gets used almost every day...

smDSC_3418.jpg

smDSC_3423.jpg

I'm always trying to find a market for new (old) items I run across at house cleanouts or tag sales. Just what does one look for in an old TV? Case condition or do they have to work as well? I've got boxes of LP's that aren't worth hauling to the dump, what are TV's selling for? Bob

Guest RainierHooker

I'd say most Pre-'65 TV's are somewhere in the $50-150 range working or other wise unless they are something really special. At least that's what I was seeing when I was shopping for one for the afore-mentioned circa-1960 room. There were some more expensive ones at a few antique malls, but years later, I'll bet that they're still there...

Guest Skyking

I recently had a 1949/50 Admiral refrigerator given to me. It still runs. I plan on restoring it to sell. You would be surprised who collects these for 50's rooms................

Guest bofusmosby

Now you guys are talking about one of my hobbies. My profession is TV repair, and I collect and restore the early sets from the 40's. You asked what to look for in an old TV. Here goes. Always try to buy a set that is complete. Make sure that all the knobs are there, as well as the back if possible. Try to get the best set (cosmetically) as you can. When you get an old TV, NEVER plug it in! This is a big mistake that many people make. By these sets sitting for many years, the capacitors go bad. Before ever plugging it in, I always pull the chassis and replace a ton of capacitors. All of the electrolytics, as well as all the wax type. Only after these parts have been changed should the set be plugged in. Of course, before doing anything, take the set to a local TV repair shop and have the picture tube tested. Make sure this is good first. If it is bad, many picture tubes (CRTs) can be had very cheaply, but others can be expensive. Of course, find someone with a tube tester and have all the tubes tested.

It can be a lot of work restoring one of these, but the satisfaction of getting it going is priceless. Just remember, the only shows that these old sets will play are the old black and white shows.:D:D

Linc., i used to collect the old wooden stand up radios. they took up too much space. i now have my grandmothers 1939 philco which is restored and working and played frequently, and a 1938 philco table model that belonged to a favorite neighbor years ago. both were free as they used to be considered trash. i gave up collecting all things as it gets too compulsive, but a couple of nice ones won't hurt. i also have about 6 old singers in the wood cases, 4 are big ones and two are in carry cases. i assume they still work, but they have little value. i also have about 5 polaroids,but you cannot get film anymore. they look nice all folded out. skyler

Many folks are very passionate about these things, but I hate to say, your collecting 60s stuff is like your collecting chevy berettas....kind of ahead of our time..but...here is the place to learn and meet some folks...very serious like many of these guys here...

Antique Radio Forums • Index page

The same prewar era of autos and automobilia also has many collectors of mechanical and electrical stuff...with the same passion for detail...the radio swap meets even have competitions and judge authenticity..grill cloth, tiniting of wood cabinets..stripping guts from wax capacitors and restuffing new guts, pouring wax back in..etc...

60's / 70's stuff is free or cheap and mostly parted out...

I have a very good friend who collects band organs, coin op musical instruments along with vintage fiberglass boats and circus memorobilia. His collection is truely a wonder filled with one of a kind historical items. Once you hear one of these play, you just can't believe the engineering involved to make all these actual instruments play or the AMAZING sound they produced. They are all real (and drums, violins, harp, etc played mechanically. He plays them regularly. When I stayed at his home where he keeps many, he went to work and left a note telling us to play anything we wanted. He and his wife are truely friends and great people.

Many are last of a kind and a true piece of history. He has coin op piano, harp, banjo, violins, music boxes and several others. Once I figure out how to rotate the videos to the appropriate orientation, I'll post them to youTube and here. Recorded on my iPhone in proper orientation, but once transfered to my PC they are upside down.

I forgot to add that he also has an Invicta that woks perfectly. If you know old TVs then I don't need to explain what an Invicta is! The coolest (tube) TV ever!

post-31565-14313893003_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

Many folks are very passionate about these things, but I hate to say, your collecting 60s stuff is like your collecting chevy berettas....kind of ahead of our time..but...here is the place to learn and meet some folks...very serious like many of these guys here...

Antique Radio Forums • Index page

The same prewar era of autos and automobilia also has many collectors of mechanical and electrical stuff...with the same passion for detail...the radio swap meets even have competitions and judge authenticity..grill cloth, tiniting of wood cabinets..stripping guts from wax capacitors and restuffing new guts, pouring wax back in..etc...

60's / 70's stuff is free or cheap and mostly parted out...

Well I have a 1938 Wards Airline cabinet radio in perfect condition that I purchased from a thrift store last year! I also have an old tabletop from around 1940 or so. The tvs are a tough one, because most people trashed them, at least here in CA to find what I found the other day, a 1960 Zenith Space Command in such perfect working order is unheard of here in CA. I know that the TV collecting crowd stops at about 1964/65 when color became more common. I know that the mid 60's and up are worthless, and are more or less junk.

Now you guys are talking about one of my hobbies. My profession is TV repair, and I collect and restore the early sets from the 40's. You asked what to look for in an old TV. Here goes. Always try to buy a set that is complete. Make sure that all the knobs are there, as well as the back if possible. Try to get the best set (cosmetically) as you can. When you get an old TV, NEVER plug it in! This is a big mistake that many people make. By these sets sitting for many years, the capacitors go bad. Before ever plugging it in, I always pull the chassis and replace a ton of capacitors. All of the electrolytics, as well as all the wax type. Only after these parts have been changed should the set be plugged in. Of course, before doing anything, take the set to a local TV repair shop and have the picture tube tested. Make sure this is good first. If it is bad, many picture tubes (CRTs) can be had very cheaply, but others can be expensive. Of course, find someone with a tube tester and have all the tubes tested.

It can be a lot of work restoring one of these, but the satisfaction of getting it going is priceless. Just remember, the only shows that these old sets will play are the old black and white shows.:D:D

Hey PM me! I have a few questions for you about my model!

Rainier, that Brunswick is gorgeous. You can see the excellent cabinetwork the pre-solid-state stuff had.

Last June, a local auction house sold the Brady Jefcoat estate out of Raleigh, NC. Mr. Jefcoat was a lifetime collector of the stuff John has mentioned and there was literally tons of it. Auction spread out over two days, there was so much of it. Radios, phonographs, music and band boxes, nickelodeons, all grades of self-player machines.

I went with intention of bringing home a horn Victrola and when I saw the van from WI with The Victor Victrola Page on the side, I knew I was out of my league.

I did not bring home a horn Victrola. The Columbia Graphophones and Grafonolas were even worse. Edisons were cheap but I don't really like them.

I did manage to get a 1954 RCA Victor Strato-World radio- RCA equivalent to the Zenith TransOceanic. Which, BTW, I am in the market for a cosmetically good working example. My uncle had one and when he downsized it went to Goodwill before I knew what my cousin was doing with his stuff. I could have kicked her...

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

I have a vintage radio that requires three batterys of different voltages. I asked my friend who repairs radios how could I get it to play again.

He told me to stick a small portabale radio inside and enjoy better misic then it ever had.

This is a common problem. Easy to solve with a battery eliminator. Or, by getting some batteries.

The 90 volt battery can be made by getting 10 9 volt batteries and connecting them in series by plugging them together.

Here is an article on making a cheap battery eliminator. There are others if you look around the net.

Powering Your Antique Battery Radio

As to better music, this I doubt. Your old AM radio will outperform any AM radio made today if it is in top shape. And battery radios seldom wore out, they were not used much because the batteries were expensive. If it does not work it is most likely capacitors died of old age. They can be replaced with new ones.

Guest bofusmosby

I forgot to add that he also has an Invicta that woks perfectly. If you know old TVs then I don't need to explain what an Invicta is! The coolest (tube) TV ever!

I think you are referring to the Philco Pridicta TV's that came out in the late 50's to the early 60's. Yes, they were neat sets, and today are quite sought after.

post-66697-143138930623_thumb.jpg

post-66697-143138930626_thumb.jpg

I think you are referring to the Philco Pridicta TV's that came out in the late 50's to the early 60's. Yes, they were neat sets, and today are quite sought after.

Yup, that's it! I guess I had Buick on my brain! :rolleyes::)

His is the 2nd one pictured. Updated to use a digital converter hidden inside.

Interesting thread. I was jokingly discussing my collection of collections with a friend this past weekend and we decided that a future hot collectible might be television rabbit ears. There is an amazing variety of them around and you can probably fill the back of your truck with them right now from all the thrift stores. Don't know if anyone uses or even makes them anymore. Get em while you can! Remember what happened with old typewriters? A few years ago they were not worth saving but now some are selling for big bucks. I guess there have always been really rare ones but as soon as someone publishes a value guide, lids off the pot! Is there a price guide yet for old TV sets?

Terry

Guest bofusmosby
Is there a price guide yet for old TV sets?

Terry

Yes there is. They have been around for a good many years. The prices can be a bit deceiving though. What might be a common brand/model in one area of the country is very difficult to find in other places. What's really bringing the big bucks now are the pre-war sets. Even though television had been around since the 20's in one fashion or another, it was in the later 30's when things really started going. I remember my mother told me she saw her first television at the 1939 World's Fair. Of course, when WWII broke out, television was put on hold, just as it was with the auto industry, to devote all efforts to the war. Also of increasing value are the first post war sets that came out in 1946. RCA was the first mass produced sets after the war with a 7" picture tube (model 621TS) which shortly after came out with the 10" screen model 630TS.

Here is a link to a site you might enjoy. Home Page

Also, here is a photo of RCA's first post War TV which came out in 1946

post-66697-143138930801_thumb.jpg

Fascinating! I can recall as a young boy visiting my grandparents in Arkansas. While my folks had them out for a nice Sunday breakfast after church, the rest of us were home watching some guys install their anniversary present - a TV set - one of the first in the area. I'll never forget the look on their faces when they got out of the car upon arriving back home and they saw that antenna strapped to their chimney. Those were the happiest tears I've ever seen!

Terry

My uncle used to fix TVs and radios when TV first came out. He had quite a few old sets in his basement. His son (my cousin) still has a few. One struck me as unusual. It had a round, or nearly round, picture tube 7 or 8" across. The set was more or less square with a metal case. The unusual part was the depth. It must be nearly 2 feet deep. Did some early sets have a very long picture tube? Would such a set have any collector value?

Guest bofusmosby
Not exactly radios but i did have well over 100 old electro-mechanical pinball machines before I came back to sanity..............Bob

Those things are now highly collectible now. Do you still have them, or any of them?

Guest bofusmosby
My uncle used to fix TVs and radios when TV first came out. He had quite a few old sets in his basement. His son (my cousin) still has a few. One struck me as unusual. It had a round, or nearly round, picture tube 7 or 8" across. The set was more or less square with a metal case. The unusual part was the depth. It must be nearly 2 feet deep. Did some early sets have a very long picture tube? Would such a set have any collector value?

Rusty, what you are describing are the 7" "electrostatic" deflection sets. Many of the early sets from the 40's used this type of deflection. The picture tubes were small screened, and very long. To answer your question, yes, they can be very collectible now. Of course just as cars, some are more collectible than others.

Guest prs519

Was Space Commander the one that literally used audio vibrations (Like when Ella Fitzgerald breaks a wine glass with resonance from her voice)? I recall seeing one of the transponders seems

like it plucked a string which caused another string on the tv to resonate, and somehow used that to change the channel? Is that the space commander?

Perry

Those things are now highly collectible now. Do you still have them, or any of them?

I only have a couple. I used to restore/trade/buy/collect. Had a bunch of parts machines and parts. Finally did it till I made myself sick and sold off most everything. My best buy was a Gottlieb wood rail named 4 Belles. I was almost out of it and was talked into buying it for $35. Turned out there were only 7 known survivors, mine made number 8. I restored it and it went to a collector in San Fran..............Bob

Interesting topic, at least I find it so. I picked up a wood cabinet B&W TV with doors from an estate sale some years back. I've no idea what year it's from and no idea how to find out, If anyone can assist that would be great. The TV is a Motorola and the model number on the back shows 20K2 with a serial number of 585696, under the serial is an ink stamped showing 3M51 and TS-119-B.

Now I know it has already been said not to plug it in but there was no one saying that when I did after getting it home. I does work and probably could have some kind of work done but I'm still very happy with it. The cabinet is in really great overall shape for the age. I'll have to find someone local that can have a look at it as it would be great to watch some old TCM movies on it. Scott...

So, completely off cars! (kind of!) I have recently gotten into collecting Antique televisions! I just picked up a 1960 Zenith Space Command 300, and it still works! It was the first television to come with a built in remote control! So, is there anyone else out there in AACA who collects this stuff?

Not quite as "off topic" as the History Channel is today but a close second. Possibly some of the entertainment toys in mini-vans, etc., will qualify down the road. Now this thread is somewhat relative to "Vehicles" 25 years old or older.