1930 Chevrolet, engine starting

Guest Fairlaneman66

Guest Fairlaneman66

FIRST OFF, I get better info here than anywhere else.

I have only turned the engine over a few times to lubricate and ck the rebuilt starter. I removed the thermostat housing (appeared to be) and it was 15 coated with black/brown crystalline. The connection location appears the same.

First question:It looks like where the thermostat housing connects may actually be part of the head. Is that correct?

2. I think I have decided to go thru the cooling system PRIOR to running the engine. In this way I can wait for the new water pump to be manufactured.

Do people think this is the best thing to do?

After all, the engine has not been run for 30 years. I can also then solve the radiator leaking.

3. Did this engine have a thermostat?

Thanks,

Reed

Guest 36chev

1. Yes, the housing where a thermostat could go is part of the head.

2. Probably. You might take out the freeze plug on the manifold side of the block (I think there is one there on the 1930) for cleaning. Also, there may be a freeze plug on the back side of block right up next to the firewall. There is one on the 36. The only way to get to this plug is to pull the engine. But on the 36, that is where a bunch of rust and gunk had accumulated--it was just about completely blocked.

3). I don't think so, but post on the VCCA to get a definite answer.