Sign in to follow this  
Sargon12

1929 Stude President advice

I'm a new member to AACA and my father and I are beginning to restore his 1929 Studebaker. I'm simply looking for advice on how to go about this project. Don't want to go into something this big completely blind.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks :)

Benefits of AACA Membership.

29presrdstrheinsohnforum.jpg?t=1334474389http:

To start you need to join the Antique Studebaker Club The Antique Studebaker Club. The best way to get advice is to network with people who have similar cars. I can think of maybe 10-15 owners of '29 Presidents off the top of my head. One guy has 4 of them and another has had his under restoration for nearly 30 years! It would also be wise to acquire as much documentation as possible i.e. owners manual, Service information etc. I have reprints of all of that stuff. It is out there you just need to start networking DIRECTLY with owners I would also recommend you narrow the scope of your question, i.e. be specific.

My brother, and I, both have owned 1929 Studebaker Presidents for well over 20 years. What model President do you have, FE or FH, and body style. What kind of information are you looking for? There are some very knowledge people on this forum who can help you with whatever questions you have.

Attached is a picture of my 1929 President FE Brougham.

post-30688-143138928121_thumb.jpg

There is a tag located on the firewall that says FHC 654 if that helps. Also it is a 2 door, with steel spoke wheels.

The firewall information is broken down as follows:

FH – Indicates that this is the 125 inch wheelbase President

C – Indicates the body style, State Victoria (4 passenger)

654 – Identifies this as the 654th State Victoria body built

The chassis serial number starts for with 7,013,601 for the State Victoria, and is stamped into a metal plate that is riveted to the left front frame rail just behind the left front wheel.

I'd love to see photos. I also have a 29 vicky I hope to restore some day. It's an early 29. It's the 93rd vicky to roll off the line. :)

I have some specific pictures of this one, ie: tag on firewall, number cast into engine, spare wheel on driver side, and view of interior from passenger door. I'll try to get a few wide shots this weekend when the weather clears a bit.

Thanks for the help Mark.

Sargon12: I would say this is your first rodeo.....or is it just the era of car that is making you feel uneasy. Is your father doing any of the work or is it just you ? Any one near by who has done an older car you can talk to?The restoration work is all about the same it is just finding those hard to find parts. You have a rare car that is worthy of the money....... but how much do you want to bury in the car? You can spend to much. So what are you planning on doing with the car after you spend all that time and money on it?.....Does it have some family history ? I thought maybe to ask these questions of you , then maybe you will know which direction you should go in.......

post-71352-143138934796_thumb.jpg

post-71352-1431389348_thumb.jpg

post-71352-143138934804_thumb.jpg

Attached is a photo of a 1930 Studebaker President FH State Victoria I owned a long time ago. Just in case it has any details you might want to see when working on your victoria.

Stude8

post-31139-143138934906_thumb.jpg

Every rule listed can and are successfully broken by different re-builders.

This will increase the time to dismantle the car but well be worth it.

Get shelving to put the parts on & off the floor.

Use an area the size of a 3 car garage or about 600 SQ FT. ( 2 car in a squeeze)

Take lots & lots of photos before you start.

You will need the photos when you reassemble the car 1 to 4 years later.

Label each part and assign a "number" to the part.

Write up a description of part "number" and where it is located & what is next to.

Take multiple photos of each part just before you remove it and assign the part "number" to the photo.

Put small parts in a zip lock baggie with the part "number".

Put different sizes of nuts, bolts, & washers in separate baggies & identify what part "number" it is used.

When you send a part out for work by a vender, take multiple photos with part for tracking lost items.

This is not a perfect list but it can help you.