1951 Buick

Guest New Kid

Guest New Kid

I need a little help, I purchased my first car 1951 buick special and i'm trying to figure out the body trim and voltage of car.

1951 MOD 51-410

Style No 51 - 43690

Body No G26584

Trim No 41 K

Paint 1ABD

New Kid,

I suggest you might redo this post on the Buick section, and rephrase your questions.

Do you mean to "translate" the Trim Code 41 K, or do you have a particular question on the extterior code. The trim Code usually refers to the interior trim, and someone that knows 50s cars should be able to explain that number and letter.

As to voltage, do you mean is it 6V or 12v? Or is their a question as to the overall electrical system?

And - welcome to the forum. Might I suggest that you join the BCA and local chapter, as you will find much help face-to-face time about Buicks.

John

John

Guest shadetree77

Hi New Kid. Welcome to the forum and to the Buick community. John is right about re-posting these questions in the Buick section. You will get many more responses there. I will help you what little I can. I believe you are mistaking a D for a 0 on the trim tag. I believe the first two lines should read like this:

1951 MOD 51-41D

Style No 51 - 4369D

That would mean that your car is a 1951 Special Deluxe Tourback Sedan as shown in the picture I included. From what I can tell, your original paint color was Carlsbad Black but I'm not sure what the "ABD" means. If no one has messed with your car, it should be 6 volt. If the generator is still on it, that means it's 6 volt. If someone put an alternator on there, that means they changed it to 12. Make sure you re-post this on the Buick section here: Buick - Post War - AACA Forums. You'll get way more help there.

post-75106-143138924858_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Trim number 41 is described as "light grey pattern cloth with dark grey plain cloth bolster", put the book doesn't indicate what the K means. The paint color 01 is "Carlsbad black", but again, the book doesn't show what the ABD means. Maybe the experts on the Buick forum can add to this.

new, good luck with this car. it is a good one. i owned the same one . bought it in calif. in 1971, rebuilt the motor and drove it back to ny when i got out of the navy. kept it until 1995. it is a 6 volt negative ground car, with the long thin battery that goes on the passenger side in the engine compartment. that long stroke straight eight loves the open road and will cruise all day at 65 mph. goes up mountains with ease, but will get a little hot sometimes doing that. easy to work on the engine as you can open both sides of the hood and take it right off. you picked a nice car for your first and one that is simple to work on. best of luck. skyler:eek: