1985 Riveria help

Guest tazbob43

Guest tazbob43

Hi all new here but have a question what engine will interchange in my 5 riveria i was told only an 85 riveria would being its fwd its has a 5.0 ready to haul to junk yard lol thanks Bob

post-84510-143138921673_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tazbob43

I got it hot and either blew the head gasket or cracked the block started to replace the gasket and notice that the water jackets were full of rust so now I'm in process of changing the engine

The Olds Toronado and Buick Riviera were "sisters", on the same fwd platform. When fuel economy and emissions regulations tightened, the Olds 307 became the default V-8 and the Buick 3.8L V-6 was the V-6 version.

The Olds 403 was a factory option in the Olds Toronados, along about 1979 or so. I'm not sure what might be different in the way of engine mounting lugs on the side of the block between the rwd version and the fwd version. Given the current (and very possibly future) realities, I think that if Olds offered a 350 in the Toronados, as they did the 403, then I'd opt for the 350. It's a very durable engine with the power the 307 was strangled out of AND good highway fuel economy.

With ANY engine change, you'll need a new "chip" for the computer (IF it's computerized) and possibly a little different jetting for the carb.

One contributing factor to the overheat issue was probably the rust in the water jackets, which restricted coolant flow. The "fix" might be easier than you might suspect, but then again . . .

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467