SeanR

What did you do to your Reatta today? <ongoing thread>

10 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Well I wasn't quite done with the leaks. Turned out the little "squeeze" clamp on the overflow tube at the radiator didn't hold tight enough so I had yet another leak. So I go out a hose clamp and put that on. Now I don't have any leaks...

You might want to check the overflow hose to make sure it isn't clogged. That hose shouldn't have any pressure on it normally.  You should be able to blow through the hose with your mouth and hear the air bubble out inside the overflow tank.  I had that problem on my '99 Blazer and found that the hose and the fitting coming out of the radiator was caked up with something that looked like brown coffee grounds.  Maybe it was the Bar's Leaks that I had put in the radiator years ago.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

59 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Me too. I don't have the full set that goes down to the console.  I just have the panels that go across the top.  You may have sent them to me.

I can get that for you as well as the switch covers on the doors....

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I can get that for you as well as the switch covers on the doors....

Thanks for the offer Dave.  I'm happy with what I have and adding more wood-grain panels would just be more reasons for my daughter to poke fun at me. :)

• Haha 1

Well I did it because I had both time and inclination. I was out to Gibson's doing some "window shopping" when I spotted a just in 1991 Riv. Typical situation where the owner starts replacing parts and then decides "That's enough" and then junks the car. So I grabbed a great looking Headlight switch, Instrument cluster, and Temperature Control. As long as I was there I saw that the serpentine belt was new and grabbed that. Then as I always wanted to update my aftermarket transmission cooler to a stock one, I eye balled that and saw that there were new tranny lines connected to a very nice stock cooler. Also had a new radiator but I left that. That was yesterday, so today I installed it. Took way more time then I thought it would as the Riv lines are a larger diameter as well as larger diameter fittings. So another trip back to Gibson's to get what I didn't think I would need and then a trip to two different Advance Auto's to get adapters for the lines connecting to the radiator.

By the time I was done I was down about a quart of tranny fluid so I put in a pint of Seafoam trans conditioner and the balance transmission fluid.

After I started the car I saw that the top fitting at the radiator was a bit loose and leaked some trans fluid but a quick twist of the wrench fixed that and now everything is good to go.

• Like 1

Well it's not what I did to my Reatta but what a guy on a riding lawnmower did to it. I was driving down a city street and come up on a guy cutting his lawn. He was cutting away from the road [chute not pointing to me] when he kicked up a rock which came like a bullet and hit the passenger side front fender. Hole in the paint about 1/2" in diameter with residual paint damage about 1" diameter. 

Contacted my insurance company and they will pay over my deductible for repairs and then paint. Already have an appointment for Thursday of next week.

• Sad 1

On 7/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, DAVES89 said:

Well it's not what I did to my Reatta but what a guy on a riding lawnmower did to it. I was driving down a city street and come up on a guy cutting his lawn. He was cutting away from the road [chute not pointing to me] when he kicked up a rock which came like a bullet and hit the passenger side front fender. Hole in the paint about 1/2" in diameter with residual paint damage about 1" diameter. 

Contacted my insurance company and they will pay over my deductible for repairs and then paint. Already have an appointment for Thursday of next week.

Shouldn't the homeowner/mower driver be responsible?

The insurance company wanted to know who the home owner was, but I just told them that there was no shoulder to the road and there were cars behind me and oncoming.

Truth be told I wanted to redo the hood anyway and this was my reason to get it in the shop with blessings from my wife...

On 6/19/2019 at 9:13 PM, Cargirl said:

Just an update on my 1991 Vert. I have had trouble free service and the car is running great. I needed to add some freon this spring but it is holding a charge. Not sure how that happens. Summer in Arizona means a car cover and monthly warm-up around the neighborhood. I am looking forward to the fall!

Awesome! I second being ready for fall - this 110-115 is too hot for the Reatta!

On 7/14/2019 at 8:30 PM, DAVES89 said:

The insurance company wanted to know who the home owner was, but I just told them that there was no shoulder to the road and there were cars behind me and oncoming.

Truth be told I wanted to redo the hood anyway and this was my reason to get it in the shop with blessings from my wife...

Received a very generous check from the insurance company and the car is already in the shop getting painted. Should have it tomorrow. Repaired fender and hood... can't wait!

• Like 1

This previous weekend was the first extended trip, about 400 miles round trip, for my '90 with the original engine installed after installing Dave's donated and ported heads. This engine is also turbocharged which is a mixed blessing in this case. The temperatures were in the mid90's with a dew point of 80*, so it was also a good test of the refurbished R12 a/c system, new compressor, receiver and condenser which performed flawlessly. Fuel mileage was actually pretty good at about 24mpg, considering the terrain which is rolling hills for about 1/3 of the miles. I mention this because the rolling terrain requires increased throttle for extended periods to maintain speed, but the sluggish old style mechanical transaxle wants to maintain high gear/lockup, which coupled with the turbocharger, tries to maintain low rpm with high load. A turbocharger is load based, not rpm, so it was easy to get into knock conditions, which requires additional tuning to compensate. In those cases it was best just to pull out of overdrive to get the rpms up and it liked that. Not a complaint exactly since I created the situation :))  When I returned home after a text from my neighbor I found the power was out in much of the city, my street had police tape blocking it off due to a power line laying in the street in front of my house, so I had no power and two trees had lost large limbs, one on my house and the other on my garage. Oh joy.

2 hours ago, 2seater said:

This previous weekend was the first extended trip, about 400 miles round trip, for my '90 with the original engine installed

It sounds to me like overall you had a good trip. I'm sure you are happy with the way the AC worked. That is one thing on a car that I hate working on.

As for your problem with the engine lugging on the hills... that is something I am familiar with.  Here in East Tennessee we are usually going up a hill or down a hill. On the Interstate it's not too bad because you can maintain enough speed that the transmission stays in 4th and the converter stays locked. On two lane roads and four lanes where speed is less than 60, the engine RPMs are so low that either your lugging the engine or downshifting and/or unlocking the converter on the long hills. You can forget setting the cruise on roads with rolling hills like we have where you can't get up a lot of speed.  The converter and transmission are constantly shifting and unlocking.  I find the whole thing to be very annoying. The tall 16" wheels I have only make things worse. 

The best solution I've found is to install a switch that can be flipped to cut out the lockup on the converter on the backroads and turn it back on when driving on the interstate.  I'll bet you would enjoy your turbo car much more if you had a switch to cut out the converter lockup when driving on hills. I think it would be easier on your turbo setup too. You can test it by just unplugging the electrical connector at the transmission and drive it on hills for a while to see if you and the turbo like it..... 

I talked to a guy at the shop that I've used to rebuild several transmissions for me and he tells me that driving with the converter unlocked for extended periods won't hurt the transmission in a Reatta.  He said it might cause the transmission to generate more heat so he recommended a trans cooler to take some of the load off the radiator. I already had one on my car.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Appreciate the suggestion, and I'll bet you know all about that. Ordinarily it's just annoying but the ability to make more torque at low rpm is hard on the engine, some of which can be addressed in the programming but not cured. Overall it works well. It sure points up just how far the technology has advanced: transmission that are continuously variable or twice the number of gears, variable cam timing to vary engine output to suit the need, drive by wire etc. Cruise the same hills in a vehicle with about the same n/a hp but way less rated torque, about the same weight but worse aerodynamics, drive by wire and vvt and the hills just flatten out.

Yep, I have a friend that just bought a new Honda Civic with a turbo (water cooled) and constantly variable, computer controlled, transmission and he loves it on hills here in TN. He says it feels like it's always in the right gear. It has smaller displacement engine than the normally aspirated but puts out more power. Gets about 38++ MPG in the process. He's a high tech type of guy and he just loves it.

Bought some new tires today. Was very supprised that Goodyear still makes the same tires as back then. Managed to get the exact type that was on the window sticker on my car. Now I’m as close as I’ll probably get to 100% factory looks for my car. Tomorrow I’m planning on going to a fairly large show if it doesn’t rain. 

CE7B9EE8-7C77-48DE-B6C4-F3EC3EF52D55.jpeg

Went to a fairly large show by me. About 3-400 cars. And today is also my one year anniversary of buying my reatta. 

8 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

Went to a fairly large show by me. About 3-400 cars. And today is also my one year anniversary of buying my reatta. 

Wow! That's a lot of cars for a Wednesday show.  I'll bet you had a great time. Did you see any other Reattas?

Only reatta but I went with my friend who has an 89. He brought his 90 olds touring sedan he’s trying to sell. So far I’ve only been to one show where there has been another reatta. And that was the Buick club of Long Islands show back in May 

EC113DE2-7E57-4954-B385-5BDF81B69A97.jpeg

Edited by Kevin M (see edit history)

Had a complete and quick failure of my Ignition Control Module last night. Problem was is that I was 70 miles from home where my parts are. So another tow truck ride home. Swapped it out in about 30 minutes and took it for a quick drive. All appears good again. I will know better today as I have appointments to run.

I have another extra one in the trunk...

Wednesday I go to Vincentvega's house to pick up his 1988 Black/Tan Reatta he had advertised. From the pictures I saw it is a very nice car, some parts of which are nicer then on my Red. Any parts nicer on this car will be swapped onto the Red, but this car will not be a parts car, it will be driven as I drive all my cars. It will one day [when the current Black dies] be my winter Reatta. As nurdish as this sounds I did check with Vincent to be sure he was okay with it being driven in winter. His thoughts [and mine] were that if no one else wanted the car it is mine to use as I wish. It will remain bone stock with original wheels, dash bezels, and steering wheel and no spoiler. 

My next door neighbor's son really wants a Reatta, and maybe he will end up with it. Until then [if that happens] or the Black dies it will be in storage. This is Reatta number 5 and I am out of free parking. The Red I bought in Minnesota will be parted out bringing me down to 4. 

If I buy another one I will be the first to commit myself, I won't even wait for family or friends to do it...

I am so glad you took that car Dave. I thought about it long and hard but while I like the looks of a black car, I don't want to own one. I am sure you will treat it well. I did the rear manifold restriction modification several years ago for VV not sure if it got on the car 🤔

Thanks for the endorsement Hal. I have the car dolly rental all lined up and am using Kendall's mini van. Leaving about 6:30 as I have to be home and done with this by 12:30 as my wife has plans for me.

On 7/29/2019 at 7:05 AM, DAVES89 said:

Had a complete and quick failure of my Ignition Control Module last night. Problem was is that I was 70 miles from home where my parts are. So another tow truck ride home. Swapped it out in about 30 minutes and took it for a quick drive. All appears good again. I will know better today as I have appointments to run.

I have another extra one in the trunk...

Check arrived today and the extra parts are in the trunk which only ensures that the extra parts will not replace the next thing that breaks.

And it was the module as I have had no issues for better then a week and over 1000 miles.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:24 PM, DAVES89 said:

Thanks for the endorsement Hal. I have the car dolly rental all lined up and am using Kendall's mini van. Leaving about 6:30 as I have to be home and done with this by 12:30 as my wife has plans for me.

Left at about 6:00 am this morning and picked up Vincent's Reatta. It is a very nice car and Vincent was very straightforward on what needs to be done. Nothing real big, a couple of relays, "A" arm cover on the passenger side, Idler wheel for the serpentine tensioner. All items I have in the parts bin. I'm sure I will see more as I go along, [maybe ABS lead] but pretty good car and bought at a great price.

Plus a whole bunch more parts [thrown in]! 

Then off to storage for the winter and will drive [or sell] next spring.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Good for you Dave. You have enough Reattas that you can have your own Reatta car show in your front yard without anyone else attending. :) You should get a photo of them all parked together.

• Like 2

The "new" Black is now in temporary storage for 2 months. On or about October 15 it will be taken out of storage and taken home to sit in my garage for the winter. The Red will be cross ways along the back, my wife's Buick Enclave one one side and the "new" Black on the the other. The 'old" Black will be left outdoors. The end is in sight for the Black.