SeanR

What did you do to your Reatta today? <ongoing thread>

After many years of a non working fuel gauge, I had the opportunity to use a buddy's hydraulic lift. Now that is a luxury. The gauge became non working when I replaced the fuel pump on my garage floor, years ago. I have avoided doing the garage floor again. Well, we dropped the tank and pulled the sending unit/pump. Moved the float mechanism up and down with no change on the gauge which always reads Empty or 1-2 bars. Just as I was ready to reinstall it and figure the unit was shot, I noticed the float arm was disengaged from the plastic snap in position retainer from the very 1st job. Stuck it back in place and voila.

• Like 1

Today I installed a new stereo head, cassette and radio unit in my red '91 vert. Bought the stereo from EastCoastReatta parts. Now my cassette adapter ejects properly and my speakers don't pop anymore

Thought I would goof around with CRTs today. I had one where the "hard buttons" wouldn't illuminate and one with squiggles on the screen. I got the one to illuminate by simply plugging in one of the small harness's. Then I looked at the one with the sqiggle. I was trying to use it till it died, but it won't die. So if anyone wants one for a test unit, or to have while they send theirs in for a rebuild or for that matter to send this one in for a rebuild [the touch pad is real nice] contact me and I will let it go for freight [$20.00]. My email is;

lemke1044@aol.com

Went on a top down cruise in the '90 vert today. Found a gas station about 10 miles from me that sells 90 octane non-ethanol gas for about 90 cents more per gallon. I had about 1/2 tank left of the 87 octane 10% ethanol crap, so I filled up with the non-ethanol gas. So now I only have about 5% ethanol. After 10 miles I can already tell it's idling smoother

Edited by Flacko9091 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ordered the remotes through the Reatta store and used the procedure to get them set up. Went flawlessly....power door locks are still a little sticky on occasion and the Alarm system is a bit twitchy but I'm very pleased.  Another non function bites the dust!

• Like 1

Ya I ordered one of those remotes for my '90 vert a couple of months ago, and it went well. I find it interesting that the remote locks were standard equipment on the Reatta but weren't even available on the '87-'93 Cadillac Allantes that cost $20,000 more when they were new. Also the late '80's Eldos didn't even have that available. Nice job there GM!

• Like 1

New Hankook tires, adjusted the headlights and recharged the AC. Bonus - somehow the brake rattle is gone. Great day ... Thanks Joe

post-130819-0-33321500-1441574288_thumb.

Guest my3buicks

Was to a Buick/GMC dealership show Saturday - I was the only Buick there until it rained, and the Plastic Fantastic car beside me hurried home and this white Reatta came in. Very nice car with 90k plus miles. I had to sit for 2 hours waiting for the roads to dry to get home. 

Back years ago when I was Director of the BCA's Pittsburgh chapter, we used to have 30 Buicks at least show up for this show - I didn't go last year with the fire etc, but the year before I was the only Buick there with the Centurion. 

post-76001-0-05435900-1441581090_thumb.j

post-76001-0-03265200-1441581103_thumb.j

post-76001-0-26406500-1441581116_thumb.j

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Replacing front rotors and brake pads on my 91.Have had the parts for 2 years and never needed them   til  now .

We had the car out today and the brakes were squealing when I backed out of the driveway. Whether I need them or not I am tired of looking at them laying around Also put the antenna on  last week.

Found out that State Farm (my regular carrier) also has collector car insurance for a guaranteed value (as long as the car is put together and not in pieces).

My Hagerty quote for full coverage with $20,000 guaranteed value for my '91 vert was $600/year assuming 3000 miles/yr. State Farm quoted me $300/yr for the same coverage. Guess I'll stick with State Farm!

I have never been happy with the door handle/switch illumination on my '90 coupe. I did a bit of research on replacement bulb availability for the #73 standard bulb and there are a few. The unfortunate tradeoff for a brighter bulb is drastically shorter life. The #73 rivals an led with a 20,000-30,000 hour rating. The #37 is about 30% brighter but life is down to 2500 hours and the #74, about three times the brightness is rated at only 500 hours. I opted to try the #74 bulb. To broaden the illumination I widened the slot in the top of the door handle trim and made a sort of redneck fiber optic insert from a transparent yellow plastic fuel line as used on small weed wackers or other similar devices. It appears to work pretty well and is unobtrusive. Hard to tell from the photo as it was taken in daylight but the yellow insert is glowing.

post-76982-0-40321400-1441895503_thumb.j

Guest my3buicks

Found out that State Farm (my regular carrier) also has collector car insurance for a guaranteed value (as long as the car is put together and not in pieces).

My Hagerty quote for full coverage with $20,000 guaranteed value for my '91 vert was $600/year assuming 3000 miles/yr. State Farm quoted me $300/yr for the same coverage. Guess I'll stick with State Farm!

Interesting, I have 20 K insurance on my 90 and it is not $600 a year. in fact $600 a year isn't much less than I pay for both my cars. Although I've been a Hagerty customer for years and years so maybe that makes a difference.

You couldn't pay me to leave Hagerty, their service and claim process in the loss of the two Reatta's and Centurion was stellar.

I don't know who you talked to but I'll bet State Farm's requirements for the vehicles condition are going to be a little more strict than that. I don't have any experience with State Farm but I do know that Hagerty had my local insurance agent take photos of my Reatta, inside and out, to prove it was in good condition before they would approve my application for classic car insurance. I was worried that Hagerty would not insure my car because it has a spoiler on it and different wheels than stock. My agent said he thought they would consider that bolt on accessories and not modifications to the car.  Apparently he was right. My application for Hagerty insurance was approved without problems.

Below is an except from State Farms webpage on classic and antique car insurance. The last sentence leads me to believe they are pretty strict on the condition of the vehicles they insure.

Is Your Car Eligible for Antique Auto Insurance Coverage?

If you're not sure, these definitions may help:

• Classic Automobile: A motor vehicle ten or more years old, which is rare or of special historical interest because of exceptionally fine workmanship or limited production. A classic motor vehicle 25 years old or older is covered as an antique.
  • Antique Automobile: A motor vehicle 25 or more years old.
And here are some important conditions for classic car insurance eligibility:
  • Your antique or classic car must be used on a very limited basis, such as exhibitions, club activities, and parades or similar events.
  • You need to have restored, maintained, or preserved your antique or classic car.

I had to send photos to both Hagerty and State Farm. Hagerty initially questioned the $20k valuation. State Farm did not question it. I've used State Farm for 25 years and currently have my homeowners and six vehicles with them, so I'm sure all of those multi-line, multi-car accident free discounts helped a lot.

Guest my3buicks

I insure my daily driver and home and businesses with State Farm (probably for over 30 years now) and have never even considered getting a quote from then for the collector cars.  And, after seeing first hand the difference in how the two companies handled claims after the fire, I never would.

When I added the red Reatta Hagerty never questioned the $20K figure. of course I was requesting it on a 5,800 mile car - could be why they questioned yours when they had one on file for the same amount with substantially less miles, I also updated the info with them when it got it's AACA Jr.  so they would have that on file as well.

Your red one is also a '90 where mine is a '91 which is 10 times more scarce. I can't expect Hagerty to know every detail about every "collector" car but obviously they didn't know Reatta history very well. They probably don't insure many Reattas for that matter.

So far I've had good luck with State Farm with respect to a couple of homeowner claims, some minor auto stuff and a camper claim.

Guest my3buicks

Your red one is also a '90 where mine is a '91 which is 10 times more scarce. I can't expect Hagerty to know every detail about every "collector" car but obviously they didn't know Reatta history very well. They probably don't insure many Reattas for that matter.

True, but values have not shown to be vastly different

We had rain all weekend thus far, the Reatta has been garage bound

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

In Keith's last post it seems he might see your point but quite frankly I don't.

Both of you asked Hagerty for quotes on an agreed value of $20k.  If your car or Keith's car were totaled and Hagerty had an agreed value policy on either car for $20k,  $20k is all they are going to be out no matter how scarce the car is.  I see no reason why Hagerty should consider which car is more scarce when determining an annual premium if the insured agreed value is the same.

P.S. To keep this post on topic: I drove my Reatta today for about 50 miles and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a beautiful, fall-like  day here in Tennessee!

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

I pulled mine out of the garage so I could wash my wife's 2005 Escape prior to putting it up for sale. I then polished and waxed hers while my Reatta looked on. Don't worry, Marilyn's (my Reatta) turn is coming next week as I am taking her to the Troutdale All Buick Show in Oregon on Saturday.  I am looking forward to a long BS session with my good buddy who will drive us both home from the show. It is a 200 mile round trip. I hope it isn't raining but even so the journey is the adventure.

Oh and I pulled her back into the garage when I finished too!

Edited by ol' yeller (see edit history)

The insurance cost should be based on the agreed value, it's just a question of how the agreed value is arrived at when setting up the policy which with very low production cars is hard to derive.

I had about 10 years of experience dealing with Cadillac Allantes. The '93's always commanded the highest prices because they were the last year of production and because the problematic Bosch electric pump assisted antilock brake system (similar to the Teves system from '88-'90) was scrapped and replaced with a more conventional antilock brake system like in the '91 Reatta.

Guest my3buicks

Oh, i thought we were talking Reatta's, didn't realize we moved to Allantes.

Just used that as an example. Wasn't trying to pick a fight. Simply posted about the difference in my Hagerty quote from State Farm and my personal experience.

I bought my car to simply enjoy and drive. Don't really care if it wins awards or goes up in value. Just don't want to get ripped off by the insurance company.

Went out to Gibson's on Friday and clipped off from a non compass equiped Roadmaster mirror's harness. The reason? I had just found in a Olds Intrigue a mirror that had the compass, map lights, and auto darkening. After I got it home I did a test wire [using Ronnie's website for directions] and everything worked but the compass. Before I threw it away I looked at the calibration directions and pressed both map lights and whattayaknow the compass lit up. I then soldered all the leads up and it is now ready for installation in the Red. If I like it I will look for another and install it in the Black for winter driving.

I have found that as I am getting older I am bothered more with the glare from other drivers in my rear view mirror. I have a Garmin but still want a compass in the mirror, and I need map lights so a pretty good deal for less the $10.00.