What did you do to your Reatta today? <ongoing thread>

SeanR

8 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

Went to a fairly large show by me. About 3-400 cars. And today is also my one year anniversary of buying my reatta. 

Wow! That's a lot of cars for a Wednesday show.  I'll bet you had a great time. Did you see any other Reattas?

Had a complete and quick failure of my Ignition Control Module last night. Problem was is that I was 70 miles from home where my parts are. So another tow truck ride home. Swapped it out in about 30 minutes and took it for a quick drive. All appears good again. I will know better today as I have appointments to run.

I have another extra one in the trunk...

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday I go to Vincentvega's house to pick up his 1988 Black/Tan Reatta he had advertised. From the pictures I saw it is a very nice car, some parts of which are nicer then on my Red. Any parts nicer on this car will be swapped onto the Red, but this car will not be a parts car, it will be driven as I drive all my cars. It will one day [when the current Black dies] be my winter Reatta. As nurdish as this sounds I did check with Vincent to be sure he was okay with it being driven in winter. His thoughts [and mine] were that if no one else wanted the car it is mine to use as I wish. It will remain bone stock with original wheels, dash bezels, and steering wheel and no spoiler. 

My next door neighbor's son really wants a Reatta, and maybe he will end up with it. Until then [if that happens] or the Black dies it will be in storage. This is Reatta number 5 and I am out of free parking. The Red I bought in Minnesota will be parted out bringing me down to 4. 

If I buy another one I will be the first to commit myself, I won't even wait for family or friends to do it...

I am so glad you took that car Dave. I thought about it long and hard but while I like the looks of a black car, I don't want to own one. I am sure you will treat it well. I did the rear manifold restriction modification several years ago for VV not sure if it got on the car 🤔

On 7/29/2019 at 7:05 AM, DAVES89 said:

Had a complete and quick failure of my Ignition Control Module last night. Problem was is that I was 70 miles from home where my parts are. So another tow truck ride home. Swapped it out in about 30 minutes and took it for a quick drive. All appears good again. I will know better today as I have appointments to run.

I have another extra one in the trunk...

Check arrived today and the extra parts are in the trunk which only ensures that the extra parts will not replace the next thing that breaks.

And it was the module as I have had no issues for better then a week and over 1000 miles.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:24 PM, DAVES89 said:

Thanks for the endorsement Hal. I have the car dolly rental all lined up and am using Kendall's mini van. Leaving about 6:30 as I have to be home and done with this by 12:30 as my wife has plans for me.

Left at about 6:00 am this morning and picked up Vincent's Reatta. It is a very nice car and Vincent was very straightforward on what needs to be done. Nothing real big, a couple of relays, "A" arm cover on the passenger side, Idler wheel for the serpentine tensioner. All items I have in the parts bin. I'm sure I will see more as I go along, [maybe ABS lead] but pretty good car and bought at a great price.

Plus a whole bunch more parts [thrown in]! 

Then off to storage for the winter and will drive [or sell] next spring.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

The "new" Black is now in temporary storage for 2 months. On or about October 15 it will be taken out of storage and taken home to sit in my garage for the winter. The Red will be cross ways along the back, my wife's Buick Enclave one one side and the "new" Black on the the other. The 'old" Black will be left outdoors. The end is in sight for the Black.

• 1 month later...

Reinstalled headlight switch after successful reassembly (switch housing blowout). Have not yet put the trim panel back over the dash. Whichever previous owner pulled it before busted every connector between the chrome edge (to which the vent covers are attached) and the main panel. I'm going to come up with a way of permanently reattaching the chrome edge piece to the main panel this weekend before putting it back on since that's what primarily holds the panel on aside from the two upward-pointing torx screws.

The way the panel/vent cover assembly is constructed is highly questionable.

I may do that if I can't manage to satisfactorily repair this panel 👍

In other news, I got my headlight switch in and found out the hard way leaving work tonight that the parking lights are now not turning on (stupid me, I was only concerned about the headlights, and I didn't pay attention to whether the rest were working). Headlights work fine though. Hopefully a fuse? Won't be able to figure that out until I have some light and spare fuses to work with.

• 1 month later...

I loved my 1990 Reatta! Bought it in 2008 with 62,000 miles; it went to car heaven last month with 175,000 (rear ended by texting driver at 40 mph!). Thankfully, my seat back broke with the impact and I was "gently" laid backwards with no injury. See photos: notice the broken seat and the radio and climate control and rear view mirror that all detached from the force of the impact! Also, see the broken golf club that is sticking out of the trunk! 😕 

What did I do on my Reatta? Everything you can think of and read about on this VALUABLE forum - and then some.  Here is a list. If you plan to keep your car in tippy top shape, expect these kinds of repairs (listed in no particular order):

Coil (first repair that this forum helped with!)

Instrument panel (two of them over the course of time)

Brake Accumulator

Change AC system to 134

Headlight arms

Headlight motor

Headlight switch (ouch)

Freeze plugs

Harmonic balancer

Oil level sensor

Mass Airflow sensor

Cam position sensor

Idle arm control valve

Intake Manifold gasket (twice)

All engine and transmission mounts

Expensive paint job with pin-striping

Normal wear and tear maintenance: water pump, struts, etc.

Door lock actuators

New Steering Column

Did I mention that I loved to drive this car? If you love it, you will take care of it! Plan to replace these items and you won't be dismayed when they break.

I want to especially thank Ronnie and Barney for their advice and devotion to keeping this American classic on the road, as well as my local parts supplier here in Southern California, known by the handle "Steve Skyhawk," who was always willing to give an opinion!!!

After Accident.jpg

After Accident2.jpg

Edited by chipcross
fix typo, add photos (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

(Also posted this on the ROJ Forum)

Woke up the '91 Reatta, took the cover off, drove it out of the igloo and around the block a few times.  Today's mission was swapping around a few cars: moved the '00 Eldorado into another position within the igloo, moved the '14 Caddy ATS out of the garage and into the driveway for Spring/Summer/Fall.  Drove the Reatta into the garage for Spring/Summer/Fall.  Diane doesn't mind giving up her ATS' garage space since she always has me drive her car out/in the garage whenever she uses it.  Have to admit the one-car garage is pretty narrow.  Oil changes and annual MA inspection stickers are coming up for the Reatta and Eldo in April.  Then they'll be out and about daily.  Plan to drive the Eldo to a June Hemming's Motor News cruise-in at their Bennington, VT headquarters.  Also plan to drive the Reatta to the July BCA Nationals at Strongsville, OH. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Sure, I will add something. I had picked up a parts car from Daves89 but it runs, shifts and operates too well to be stripped and junked, even the a/c works well. It does have a failing fuel pump, several rusty steel lines under the left rear and some around the left wheel opening. While parts are available, I ordered a new fuel tank, fuel inlet piping, the pump of course and a couple filters, which all arrived today. The car is in my storage shed, raised up somewhat on old car loading ramps, and this is all at my cottage. My plan is to make an extended stay there to do the necessary repairs and the result will likely go to my grandson. So to sum up, this is a post about intentions, rather than actual actions, but it will be happening.

Too bad that when I swapped out my fuel pump [which I thought was good, but while I was there] and the sending unit [which turned out to be a loose connection] I didn't keep the parts. It would have made your project a bit cheaper.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I backed my Reatta out of the garage today to go for a ride. Before I got to the end my street it came a downpour so I put it back in the garage and spent about 20 minutes wiping it off.

I know it sounds blasphemous but I sometimes appreciate the rain, especially at highway speed, to soften and dislodge some of the bug splatters on the front end🙄 Now if my car is already clean, I do choose another vehicle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Too bad that when I swapped out my fuel pump [which I thought was good, but while I was there] and the sending unit [which turned out to be a loose connection] I didn't keep the parts. It would have made your project a bit cheaper.

Appreciate the thought, but some of the purchase was to stash spare parts if it turns out they aren't all needed. With four now in my family, I see why your parts stash makes great sense. Funny thing, I am actually sort of looking forward to working on this car, something that has been sorely lacking recently, even though I know it will drop rust flakes in my eyes, I will likely bang my bald head on something and occasional vertigo will cause some awkward poses. I think it is the luxury of time and being able to take my time. That may not last more than ten minutes😣

• 3 weeks later...

Maintenance. Changed plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter. Also changed the leaky EGR Valve. Now it has a rough idle issue it didn't have before. Runs better under power. Smoother and better acceleration. Just a rough idle. Thought maybe the ECU was just sorting itself out like when I cleaned the IAC valve last year, but after putting a hundred miles on it today it only got a little better. One step forward, two steps back. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

Didn’t necessarily do anything to my Reatta but it turned thirty today. VIN 900068. Don’t know if anyone else here has an earlier VIN 91

7AF960D0-A86C-4062-AA00-4C497564F4E8.jpeg

Congratulations!  That is a real early '91.  I thought mine was fairly early at VIN 900183.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...