Whos been in the hobby as long as I?

Guest myold88

Guest myold88

While looking through some old boxes this week I came across my catalogue from the Parke-Bernet Gallery for a November 1969 antique automobile auction I went to in N.Y. City. Also my very first copy of Hemmings dated July 1969. It's the very last month for the small pocket sized edition- How about a fully restored 1933 Ford Roadster for $3875.00.

In '74 I pulled an original 1929 Franklin Victoria Brougham out of an old garage for $300.00. Boy, those were the good old days.

Sorry, just reminiscing.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

have been in the hobby since 2001. always wanted an old car but thought i could not afford it. after my hip transplant i decided i could not afford not to get an old car. i wish the hobby had not gotten so expensive, as i would like to restore my 54 windsor convertible, but my money will only go so far. in the old days you could get things reasonable and there were good junkyards. all going away. still some good people to deal with, but fewer than there used to be. my car is still a good driver so i am having fun with it. i drove my 51 buick until 1995 so i was in the hobby then, i guess. i paid $75 for that car in 1971, rebuilt the motor, drove it from calif. to NY, then drove it for the next 20 years. love working on them, but only so you can drive them. skyler:p

Not sure exactly when I was "in" the hobby, but put it this way; I don't remember a time that I wasn't involved in the old car hobby. I remember as a child being to Hershey and sanding one spot on dad's Merc convertible. In 1969, my mom and dad were told by club members that by having my sister:eek: was not what they had in mind when they were looking to increase club membership.:eek::eek::D

I bought my first antique in 1958, a 32 Hupmobile 4 door. I paid $35 for it, wish I still had it.

It was hand painted with a brush and looked real good.

All the wireing included a ground wire that went back to the battery.

Does anyone have one that they would sell it to me for $35 to replace it?

Can I count building scale model cars at age 9? Owning my first antique car (25 years old) when I was 15? I think those model cars or my prior interest when at age 5 I was asking my dad about the unusual styling of those new Kaisers on the streets next to us certainly count. Maybe even when the ONLY way a professional photographer could get me to smile was to hand me a streamliner race car when I was ONE. That was summer 1948. There have been about 140 old cars with my name on the title in the interim and 11 in the barn now.

post-57494-143138916609_thumb.jpg

The photo avatar you see under my name over there was taken by a Cleveland Plain Dealer (newspaper) photographer in July of 1973. I am standing behind a 1934 Ford 4-door sedan that my father had bought moments earlier at the auction we were attending. It was about a mile from our house under a big white tent, and we just stopped in to see what was going on without knowing anything about anything, let alone old cars. My father just liked the looks of that old Ford.

This photo captures the exact MOMENT I started in this hobby.

post-31138-143138916646_thumb.jpg

Well, of course some of you have me beat, but I first got the "bug" in the early 1960's, bought first car (1931 Chevy) at age 13 in 1964, second one at age 15 (1925 Dodge coupe) and drove the Dodge to junior high school, and both cars to high school. Started subscribing to Hemmings in late 1964, when it was Reader's Digest size......so I'll claim 48 years of collecting cars and making friends!

Ahh, the "reminisce thread" always a good one when someone starts it.

At 48 I fully understand there are many here who are my senior - guys you can learn a lot from! Can't remember not liking old cars and consider myself lucky to catch a lot of shows while still in the "golden age" IMO, when you could go to local shows and see acres of prewar Fords, brass, Classics, etc. as well as great postwar cars, considered "special interest" then. Parts, not T-shirts, lighters and num-chucks at the swap meets. etc.

I do have to say I met Mr. Harwood last fall and cannot believe he is not THAT much younger than me... :D

Matt - That's a great shot of you. It reminds me so much of my own experience, I was nine we came back to the States and we all fell in love with a 34 Chevy. My brother was born within months of getting the car and there are pictures of him sleeping in the back seat of that car spanning ten years and a few dozen local car shows.

This thread makes me think about the amount of knowledge and appreciation of these toys we love that passed down from one generation to the next so often. My father was a very active car nut and my grandfather sold Whizzers and Schwinns. So I guess I've been in the hobby since before I was a twinkle in my Daddy's Daddy's eye!:)

I have been actively working on cars I drove since I got my driver's license in 1964, before that I helped my father work on his and was a serious scale model builder. I bought my first car, a 55 Ford Victoria, in 1966. That was probably the first "hobby" car, although in those days the car I played with also had to be my daily driver!

Started noticing cars at a very early age (Mom says at about 4 years old in 1956 I would point out the different makes, i.e., "That's a Dodge...that's a Ford"...etc. At 9 I became interested in racing and slot cars. At 13, my Dad gave me his 1931 Dodge coupe. At 15 I started collecting more old cars. Had over a hundred, I guess. Kept my first 1931 Dodge coupe and now have a second. Most of you have seen these before, but for the benefit of the newbys....

post-37352-143138917064_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138917072_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138917075_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138917078_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313891708_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138917082_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138917085_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313891709_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138917096_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Lots of great early memories that I've talked about before including finding the guy on the way home from school who was restoring a 1910 Cadillac. Visits to that garage were the start of my hobby education as I learned all about places like Hershey! Loved old cars for a long time but getting into the hobby I think should start when you began twisting wrenches on old iron - for me it was about 1965 when I started helping the neighbor work on a hot rod - 1930 Model A pick up with a 389 Pontiac tri-power engine in it. Although I diverted and began messing with muscle cars about that time, it was always great to look at the early, original stuff. It was about 1967 that I bought a 1930 Model A that never got restored. Joined the Navy in 1969 and sold the A as I knew it would just become a planter in my parents back yard. Joined AACA the following year when Susan and I got married and were stationed in the Washington DC area. That was our first Hershey. It's been a great ride ever since. If somebody had told me back then what my old car future would be like I never would have believed it!

I guess this is what us "old timers" do best - sit on the porch and talk history!

September 1961, Mom droped me off at the Fairfield County HCCA Fall Meet here in Ridgefield, I spent the day there I was 10 years old, and was hooked for life. Dad had taken me to two of the AACA Westchester County Region meets at Ray Keelers also here in Ridgefield earlier. Aunte Betty got me a copy of the Treasury Of The Automobile by Ralph Stein for Christmas and I've been rolling along ever since. Non stop Hershey since 1969. Bob

My dad took me to an antique car show in Los Angeles when I was 7 or 8, about 1960. We had to wait in line forever to get in the door (the show was indoors at Knott's Berry Farm). The only car I remember was an 1895 Duryea belonging to actor Ephram Zimbalist, Jr. I clearly remember that my father recognized the guy in front of us in line as Mr. Zimbalist. I guess he wanted to hear what people were saying about his cars at the show!

Nine years later, my grandpa{a big car collector} sent me the title to a Model A of his, and I still have it. So maybe taking a kid to a car show is a good thing!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

At 48 I fully understand there are many here who are my senior - guys you can learn a lot from! Can't remember not liking old cars and consider myself lucky to catch a lot of shows while still in the "golden age" IMO, when you could go to local shows and see acres of prewar Fords, brass, Classics, etc. as well as great postwar cars, considered "special interest" then. Parts, not T-shirts, lighters and num-chucks at the swap meets. etc.

Great comments Steve. I am also fortysomething but got interested at 13 in 1980, so I got to interact with some guys who came up from the early days.

My Dad (at 40) bought his teenage dream car, a 1955 Thunderbird, and we all enjoyed the local car club and local shows and parades. By this time old car magazines were common on the newstand and some swap meets had grown large, so it was hardly the beginning of the hobby. But I smiled at your comments as I recall the old guys of the day focused on prewar cars and loved driving their Model As and Ts. Our Thunderbird was only 25 years old and was usually classed as "special interest" along with other 1950s cars. 1960s models were "used cars" to these guys, and a street rod did not even deserve a response. Not only did you not pay to attend a local show, but it was usually attached to a summer festival or parade and attendees could often expect a free chicken dinner or some other amenity. And indeed, how great was it to go to a swap meet and actually find lots of greasy old car parts? Good times for a fledgling young hobbyist, Todd C

Tom Marshall is in his 90s, I believe, and still goes on steam car tours. George Hughes, son of a founding member, is 74 and is still active along with another second generation member Joe VanSciver who has probavly been active for at least 70 years. Earle Eckel's son/grandson has been in the hobby for many decades.

These are just a few and there are others.

Edited by A. Ballard 35R
spelling (see edit history)

I don't remember when I started to like cars; my mother has said I started taking my toy cars to bed with me when I was about 2. Whenever we went out in the car, I would watch cars coming the other way and name them all. I started with promos and models when I was 7. I didn't buy my first old car until 1984, a 1964 Impala sedan with 56K on it that I paid $3000 for. I have my '72 LTD and '71 Lesabre now and would have many more if my wife would let me. I could have come home from Hershey last year with at least 3 cars..........

Mom said before I started to school (1946) I could name every car I saw. When the 1947 Studebakers were introduced the summer of 1946 they lit my fire. It didn't matter how many I saw the next one would still excite me and it was the same way with every car that came out after that. By the time I was 8 I was stashing any automotive related literature I could get my hands on. I wish we had lived closer to town and that my dad had had even a little bit of interest in cars so we could have visited the dealers and latched onto some car brochures. Gradually my interest turned to antiques and I love attending shows and collecting models and books. No, I don't turn wrenches and spray paint but I dearly love looking at old cars and taking pictures. Sitting at my computer I'm surrounded by three walls of car stuff. Things like a 1934 Cadillac, '52 Lincoln, '53 Caribbean, and a Continental MK II in 1/18th scale and dozens and dozens of smaller scale models. Books all over the house and one room completely filled with diecast models. My biggest regret is I came along too late to meet people like Ransom Olds, Henry Ford, Billy Durant, the Packard Brothers, and dozens of other pioneers. What a hoot that would have been.

Just got home from a car club meeting tonight. Our guest speaker was someone from the Woodward Avenue Byway Program, she was talking about their plans to better recognize and present automotive history in the Motor City. Since the FoMoCo Highland Park plant is an intense part of their focus, Henry Ford was mentioned often in the presentation.

Was speaking afterwards with a fellow club member who's going to be 102 years young in just a few months. I think she's got most all of you beat. She bought her Packard in 1949, still owns and drives it. Henry Ford was a neighbor and rocked her cradle when she was a baby.

Margaret Dunning, 101, loves her 1930 Packard 740

I fell in love with early cars while we were visiting my Grandfather, and he had one of Floyd Clymers books on the table. I could not get my nose out of it. This was in the late 60's and I was hooked. I've been wrenching for over 40 years now. :D Dandy Dave!

I guess I am the old fart on the block. I even have to use the larger fonts.

I restored my Grandfathers 1925 Reo Speedwagon stake truck in 1951. I joined the AACA then but was not allowed in the shows because it was a truck and not old enough. I wanted the life membership for $25 but my dad talked me out of it, old cars was just a passing fancy and I would grow out of it. I am still paying annual dues. I then found a 1925 T wire wheel roadster in a chicken coupe and bought it for $15. I brought it home, cleaned it up and sold it for $50, WOW what a good profit. I really wanted a Model A roadster but they were selling for $400 in good shape. I couldn't afford that. I also found a big 1910 Knox in a barn, it was complete but unrestored, but the guy was nuts, he wanted $500 for it. We found a lot of cars back then and they were barn finds because there were no publications back then devoted to old cars. My parents then bought me a 1916 Peerless touring car for Christmas, they paid $100 for it and I restored it my senior year of high school. I still have it and more.

Still like old cars. RHL

I got my first car ( 1931 Buick four door ) in 1948 an have been a car nut ever since. I played with "hot rods" until my kids got old enough to drive. I then switched to antiques so they would not get in trouble with my 29 Ford roadster pickup ,with a 427 Cnev in it. I ended up with Buick as they built big old cars that would haul the family. ( I had 6 kids) With the kids now gone, I have a 37 Buick coupe that is 455 powered and a 40 super convert that has been to Meadowbrook ,so I have all my bases covered.

I've sort of been in the hobby since maybe 1948-1949, and I got my first old car, as well as my first car in 1955. I began collecting literature around 1953, joining and antique auto literature club called "The Auto Maniacs of America". And I joined AACA in March or April 1962. I still own the same blue 1939 Buick that I bought to restore in 1963, to look exactly like my first car, the 1939 Buick from 1955. Is that long enough?

I remember exactly when I officially got into the hobby. It was 1967 when my father paid for my membership in the local car club after he bought his 1920 Willys Overland touring. I was 12 then and love that car. See, he recently tansfered the ownership to me and truly thankful!

Hope to enjoy many more years of this hobby!