Please help me/us Mr. Tinindian

Guest mikestaley

Guest mikestaley

I saw a thread you (Tinindian) answered awhile back on the firewall plate of 1941's.

I believe I have (from what pictures show me) a Deluxe Torpedo 1941 Silver Streak 4 dr sedan flathead 8....... the paint code says 700 (which doesn't match up to any of the Pontiac paint #'s and the body style says 41-25-19 but again none of those numbers seem to match up either (?).... Can you tell me anything from these numbers?..... and also, while trying to research all of this I am noticing many owners wishing they could decipher all the codes on their firewall plates......... someone (whoever has the paperwork and/or knowledge) really should post what all the codes mean... (Torpedo detail experts needed!....... who are the main brains?):confused::confused::)

I am not Tinindian, but the code 41-2519 is a 1941 Pontiac Model 25 Deluxe Torpedo Six 4dr 6 Window Sedan. As you note there is no paint code 700, if you get actual code numbers or a photo of the data plate post it for more info. Todd C

Guest mikestaley

Todd, thanks so much for answering, but it is positively NOT a 6..... it is an 8... you can see that the fire wall plate has not been changed, as you can see the engine has never been removed, and it says 8 on the grill and 8 on the dash... it has 4 doors with one roll up window in the front seat, one roll up in the back seat, one sliding window in the far back, and one front seat triangle vent window (both sides)............ and of course a split rear window and a split windshield making a total of 12 panes of glass...... (is that considered a 6 window sedan?)......I do have all the actual numbers, I can easily read them plainly..... and it says paint code 700....

mike.

These data plates aren't always accurate. I once found an 8-cyl 36 cabriolet in a junkyard that had a 36-2667 code. 26 means a 6 cyl; 67 a cabriolet. 19 is correct for a 4dr, but it should have been a 2819. Sign on as an Early Times Chapter member and this kind of information becomes readily available.:)

Bob is correct that the Pontiac Oakland Club Early Times Chapter is the club most focused on 1940s Pontiacs. The other is the AACA Oakland Pontiac Chapter.

Bob is also right that model 2819 would be correct for an eight cyl model, but if your plate says 2519 there is a mismatch somewhere. With a photo of the data plate I will look up everything I can,Todd C

Guest mikestaley

re-looked at all numbers..... it reads (for sure) 41-25-19

and the paint says 700.... i have taken some photos with my phone and will get my son to try and figure out how to send photos.. or if my phone photo isn't good enough, i will try borrowing a good camera and have him send the clearest picture we can manage...

thanks so much for answering back..... you guys are great!

Oh! I did check out Early Times (thanx)... it is a helpful site.

mike.

OK.

Just FYI the six window designation means you have three window openings on each side, front door, rear door, and rear quarter window. This is as opposed to the larger four window body--front and rear doors but no quarter window. There were lots of subtle variations in body styles back then, Todd

Guest mikestaley

Well, I did take some photos... only one was focused enough to see.

As I enlarged it I could still easily see that the number is indeed 41-2519.

However, no matter how i turned the camera, when I enlarged it, the 700 ends up looking like maybe D00 1700 or 708.....

realizing that all paint code numbers start with 41, and because the enlarged photo is blurry, I focused on the last number only which (from photo) was either a 0 (black) or an 8 (taffy) and 3 was out because none end in 3...

So, ran back out to the car with a magnifying glass and the number is.......700. no numbers before or after, just 700.

I have tried sending the photo but am not having any luck.... but if you would like the photo I could forward it to you through email.....

mine is mikeestaley@gmail.com so feel free to email me email address... (I don't care if others have mine, but I will be sure not to give yours out to anyone).

mike.

Guest Pete Woodruff

Mike,

Beginning in 1941 Pontiac offered a six or eight cylinder engine in any of their 3 available series. There were some cars built with a Style No that did not match the engine installed. You do have a Deluxe Torpedo 4 door Touring Sedan. This was built on the Fisher A-body, the smallest bodies and shared with Chevrolet. Buick and Olds also used the A-body on their lowest-price cars.

In April of 1941 Pontiac brought out the Metropolitan Sedan, Style No 41-2569. This was a modern, 5 window body style that closely resembled the new for 1940 Fisher C-body. Pontiac offered this body in '40 as the Torpedo Eight in only 2 body styles, the Sport Coupe and the 4 door Touring Sedan.

The paint code on the body tag in '41 was supposed to be a 2-digit code from 00 to 15 but omitting 03 and 13. The 00 paint code is combination 4100, a Black body and Carteret Red wheels with a scarlet stripe. Unless your car has been dip-striped at some point in the past, you should be able to determine the original color as you dis-assemble it.