1930 chevrolet radiator

Guest Fairlaneman66

Guest Fairlaneman66

WHERE is the best website to go for parts for this car. I AM AWARE of the

"Hagenautoparts.com

Guest 36chev

Keiser is right, Obsolete Chevrolet in Georgia is one. They keep NOS and reproduction parts. The Filling Station is another, although they only have repro.

You might look into the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America. There are vendors and a lot of individuals there with used and NOS parts. A membership gives you an excellent (IMHO) monthly magazine with ads, technical articles and vehicle profiles (similar to AACA's Antique Automobile). Plus, when you're a member, you get the the contact information for volunteers with expertise in specific years, such as 1930.

Edited by 36chev (see edit history)

Guest Fairlaneman66

THANKS EVERYONE. I found a couple items at Filling Station. BUT THEY DON'T HAVE a 1930 fuel sending unit. I removed the fuel tank today. Wow. You should see what was in there.

But now I need a sending unit. Seems the 1931 has a different base than a 1930. I will try

Obsolete chev.

Where do u recommend I send the Carb. to get rebuilt?

THANKS. REED

Guest 36chev

I don't have any carburetor recommendations, but do have another thought for a parts source, for your present or future needs.

Marx Parts LLC sells NOS and some new/repro parts. There is a section under the Online Catalog specifically for 1916-36 Chevrolets, although I've found that he has a lot more inventory not listed in the catalog (the same with Obsolete Chevrolet). I've purchased from Marx and Obsolete Chevrolet before and been pleased. Marx advertises with the VCCA, as does Obsolete Chevrolet.

There's also one individual on the VCCA Chat Forum (trying to recall the name, but I think it is Bugay) who has a LOT of NOS early Chevrolet parts. So you might post a ad for Parts Wanted there. Been pleased with purchases from him as well.

Guest Fairlaneman66

HELP. We get no reaction (any starting noise) from the battery being hooked up and seeing if the starter will try to start. the gas is not yet hooked up but we wanted to test the system so far. Would you think it may be contacts on the starter?

ONE ADDITIONAL issue. The battery cable attached to the starter got warm. ??????

It took some trial and error to determine if the car was a pos. or negative ground. We determined the latter.

Any ideas out there?

thanks, Reed

Guest 36chev

Yes, your're right, it is negative ground.

The starter switch on these is very basic--the same from 1929-1937 except for the later starterator. You can take out the two screws holding the switch to the starter, take the switch off the starter, and see what the two wedge shaped copper contacts look like. What I had happen once is that the cardboard insulation inside the switch had decayed, the contact twisted and touched the housing, and it shorted out. This smoked and of course the starter wouldn't work!

Guest Fairlaneman66

Hey, we found the problem. the starter was bad. ( I did take apart the switch and rinstall

as you described, but that was not the problem.