Car shows

rons49

Can a local AACA chapter or region put on( sponsor) a local car show or cruise in for non AACA particapants? In the offering through media channels that chapter would state that the show would be sponsored by the Local AACA club. What is the responsibility to National, if the name AACA chapter is used to attract potential registrants at this local show? I am aware that National insurance coverage would not apply. Is there a copyright infringement,or similar, involved?

My local chapter has only been hosting a local show that also allows non-AACA member to participate for the past 40 years, so I certainly hope that is allowed. :D The chapter has also received an insurance certificate of coverage through AACA for this event every year. Here is the Region and Chapter Activities section of the Policy and Procedure Manual, accessible from the publications link on main AACA homepage:

2.7 REGION AND CHAPTER ACTIVITIES

2.7.1 General

Region and Chapter activities are as varied as the imagination and collective capabilities of the members permit. They will typically include periodic meetings, meets or tours. The activities may also include fundraisers, picnics, mall shows, swap meets, and membership drives. Joint activities with other AACA Regions/Chapters and other collector car clubs are encouraged.

The primary consideration in planning these activities is to keep the needs and capabilities of the membership in mind. Most groups emphasize the family aspect of the hobby and invite the whole family to participate. In addition, the Region or Chapter officers must carefully consider all aspects of the activity and assure that they are consistent with AACA requirements, particularly those pertaining to commercial and charitable endeavors The Rummage Box frequently describes the activities of different Regions and Chapters, and the Regions Committee hosts a seminar at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, which provides a forum for discussing activity ideas. These are excellent sources for new ideas for activities.

The AACA is committed to making the antique automobile community accessible to all individuals on a non-discriminatory basis. The Club reaffirms its strong opposition to discrimination based upon gender, age, race, color, religious creed, national origin, disability, and marital, parental, veteran status or sexual orientation. As such, the club will not deny membership to anyone based upon the above criteria.

The AACA also requires all of its regions and chapters to abide by the policy outlined above.

AACA Regions can decide to invite outside participants(non members) to their shows and tours as well. The national policy covers ALL bonified activities put on by the regions and chapters. The region or chapter plus the officers and directors are covered by our liability policy. This pretty liberal and inclusive policy is but one reason that AACA is the best bargain in town!

• 1 month later...

Matt, I plan on being in Wilmington the weekend of June 9th &10th. My dad lives off of N College Rd. Are there any car shows scheduled that weekend? Maybe we could get together. I would like to get some ideas regarding the Tucson Regions proposed open car show in 2013. We have put on many National Meets and a Founders Tour, but this needs some twiking. My Email is rsotardi@yahoo.com, or my Phone is in the AACA roster. Thanks, Ron Sotardi

Ron,

I would be happy to meet you. I don't know of any local shows that weekend but our local Chapter is joining the New River Chapter on a tour to the Duplin Winery on June 9th. Hopefully we can arrange for you to accompany us on that tour. I will be happy to meet with you and discuss these issues with you.

I will send you an email shortly.