I've converted my less than trustworthy 1936 Six voltage regulator to an electronic version – quite successfully – and am thinking about doing the same to my distributor. I'd be interested to hear from other forum members who have done the same and how it has worked out. Also, where did you get the unit and how easy was it to install?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

If your distributor is a 111022x model I belived the Pertronix Ignitor modules are:

2161N6, 6V negative ground

2161, 12V negative ground

2161P1, 6V positive ground

I upgraded my '49 eight with one. It takes all of about fifteen minutes. Remove points and condensor, install magnet ring on dizzy point cam, install module mounting plate, install module, connect two wires to coil. If you go that route beware that I found on my '49 eight that the bracket holes for the module needed to be filed out to allow for adjustment. Gap between module and magnet ring needs to be 0.030".

If your distributor is a 111022x model I belived the Pertronix Ignitor modules are:

2161N6, 6V negative ground

2161, 12V negative ground

2161P1, 6V positive ground

I upgraded my '49 eight with one. It takes all of about fifteen minutes. Remove points and condensor, install magnet ring on dizzy point cam, install module mounting plate, install module, connect two wires to coil. If you go that route beware that I found on my '49 eight that the bracket holes for the module needed to be filed out to allow for adjustment. Gap between module and magnet ring needs to be 0.030".

As several of my friends have said; just remember after you install it to keep your points and condenser in the glove box because some day you might need them. When asked how's your electronic ignition doing? more than one has said I would have job on trying to find out to check because the parts were thrown as far as you could throw them from the HWY!

• 1 month later...
As several of my friends have said; just remember after you install it to keep your points and condenser in the glove box because some day you might need them. When asked how's your electronic ignition doing? more than one has said I would have job on trying to find out to check because the parts were thrown as far as you could throw them from the HWY!

I may be siding with your friends soon. Can you ask some of them what issues they had?

I don't think the problem is the Pertronix as I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them having been on the Team Camaro boards for quite a while.....many guys have 20 year old ones. I think my distributor may just be too worn and the points deal with it better. Before I got the Pertronix gapped right, it would skip and burp and pushing on the distributor towards the engine would make it smooth out. Got the module gapped down to the reluctor ring as much as possible by filing the bracket out and it did better....never failed to start and run but I couldn't idle it down as far as tech spec calls for. At the same time though my carb started flooding out which was part of the problem so I rebuilt it.

Anyway, I put the points back in yesterday and drove around some. Once it gets good and hot I sometimes get a st-st-st-stumble on light acceleration or high load acceleration if the trans doesn't kick down. Feels and runs great going down the road though. I'm starting to think it may just be timing but the tab is missing so I'm limited to fooling with the "gas selector" with no base number to go off of. I'm going to pull off and plug the vacuum advance line next chance I get which hopefully will point me in the right direction.

I may be siding with your friends soon. Can you ask some of them what issues they had?

I don't think the problem is the Pertronix as I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them having been on the Team Camaro boards for quite a while.....many guys have 20 year old ones. I think my distributor may just be too worn and the points deal with it better. Before I got the Pertronix gapped right, it would skip and burp and pushing on the distributor towards the engine would make it smooth out. Got the module gapped down to the reluctor ring as much as possible by filing the bracket out and it did better....never failed to start and run but I couldn't idle it down as far as tech spec calls for. At the same time though my carb started flooding out which was part of the problem so I rebuilt it.

Anyway, I put the points back in yesterday and drove around some. Once it gets good and hot I sometimes get a st-st-st-stumble on light acceleration or high load acceleration if the trans doesn't kick down. Feels and runs great going down the road though. I'm starting to think it may just be timing but the tab is missing so I'm limited to fooling with the "gas selector" with no base number to go off of. I'm going to pull off and plug the vacuum advance line next chance I get which hopefully will point me in the right direction.

I think it was Pertronix module problems. There is one electronic ignition system that really works for me. G.M. HEI works without any problems as long as you do proper maintenance. That means taking the module out once a year and applying dielectic grease to the bottom of it, checking the shaft for wear, checking the cap & rotor, lubricating the advance weights and after it's together checking the advance curve.

What car / engine did you install your HEI in Helfen? And where did you buy it?

I'm sure you could adapt a GM HEI to a older Pontiac but you would have to convert to 12 volts. I wouldn't do that because the points type ignition is more than adequate. As far as my cars with GM HEI; 62 Catalina w/67 428, 1969 LeMans W/ a 1970 455. These units came out of a salvage yard and were rebuilt and re-curved by myself- but they are post 1974 stock units. I also have a 1976 Olds that came that way factory equipped. ( all GM cars from 1975 have them.

Just in the FWIW category; a lot of "carburetor issues" disappear when the pertronix conversion is replaced by points and condenser.

An electronics engineer once told me that converting to the pertronix will be more successful if the generator is replaced with an alternator at the same time. Seems electronics like a more stable voltage than provided by a generator.

My opinion, others will differ.

Jon.

I think it was Pertronix module problems. There is one electronic ignition system that really works for me. G.M. HEI works without any problems as long as you do proper maintenance. That means taking the module out once a year and applying dielectic grease to the bottom of it, checking the shaft for wear, checking the cap & rotor, lubricating the advance weights and after it's together checking the advance curve.

I'd have to agree with you with the exception of using heat sink grease, not dielectric grease. I'm sure that's what you meant anyway.

In my case, I've done the 12V conversion and run an alternator with stable voltage. Anyone else considering that, an early 1970's Alfa Romeo coil and condensor works well with no other parts needed since they were 12V with built in coil ballast. Now I'm using the epoxy filled Flamethrower 3 ohm coil from Pertronix and the Alfa condensor with the points.