Yup they are still out there! Two Amphicars

Amphicar BUYER

I just completed the purchase of 2 Amphicars that have spent the last almost 30 years sitting in ..... (drum roll)... a barn! ;)

This is the 3rd time I have bought 2 Amphicars together and the 3rd time in Texas. One of a pair I bought a few years ago was literally from the jaws of the crusher. The guy was ready to start the crusher with an Amphicar in it and he decided to call me because he just couldn't do it. WHEW!

This time the Amphicars were "rusting in peace" just yards away from the lake they swam in for years. All could see of them were the sides as they were the foundation for a pile of stuff years in the making. I'll post pics once I can get them scanned. My favorite sellers are the ones that don't have a computer or a digital camera. They are easier to deal with and haven't called 36 other people playing games trying to get a war started. He knew what he wanted, "no haggling, no BS" as he put it. A fair price and a nice couple to boot. We spent hours on the phone talking about many things.

I'll be having them delivered by the end of April. There will be more to this part of the story after the pieces come together.

Congrats, John. I can remember seeing one of these huddled by the side of a house, half tarped for years in the late 70s to early 80s - in the same neighborhood there was a one owner '56 Chevy we were all chasing through high school. (I ultimately got that car, when the older guy who bought it from the original owner go laid off..) I don't think anyone of my pals knew the potential the Amphicar car had back in the day...

Guest dminer

Ever come across any Schwimmwagens? I hope I'm not offending the Amphicar by posting this here. I saw one when I was a kid in Virginia and have wanted one since.

I like the Amphicar website. The 'rolling top' with photos is really cool!

Ever come across any Schwimmwagens? I hope I'm not offending the Amphicar by posting this here. I saw one when I was a kid in Virginia and have wanted one since.

I like the Amphicar website. The 'rolling top' with photos is really cool!

I would love to find a schwimmwagen! I have heard that there are probably only a handful in the USA and I have only seen one in person. You won't offend me unless you try much harder. ;)

I used to do the website for the club. I took it from 8 pages to about 100+ and now Larry the current web dude has done well with the remake. Next time I speak with him I'll pass on your compliment. Its a tough job that few can fully appreciate how much effort and time it takes.

Guest bofusmosby

Congrats John! I can't wait to see the photos!

BTW, I saw an episode on the National Geographic channel the other day, and they were restoring one of these. Did you happen to see it?

Saw one sitting in a local shop here (NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR), probably last year, and haven't been back since; was partially under tarp, as I recall, and commented on it, but don't recall if shop owner said was his or not.

What could see looked nice, but didn't really pay that much attention. Pass the place all the time, could inquire if you'd like. Bud

John, isn't there a law against owning too many Amphicars ?

I sure hope not! I try to adopt them out to good homes when I can. It's a "no kill" shelter. Does that help?

Congrats John! I can't wait to see the photos!

BTW, I saw an episode on the National Geographic channel the other day, and they were restoring one of these. Did you happen to see it?

Per your request, here are pictures of the pictures I have. :D (no scanner)

I have not seen the entire episode but I know of the story of that car. It was done about 4 years ago?

post-31565-143138914889_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138914895_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby

After they restored the car, they put it up on the auction block with a reserve of 75K. The car didn't sell.

After they restored the car, they put it up on the auction block with a reserve of 75K. The car didn't sell.

That's because it was poorly done and a hack job. MAYBE worth $40k at the time. less now because of the quality of "restoration" $75k would be top tier... at big auction.... at the right time.

I got called out with our tow truck one time to get a 57 Chev that looked just like these cars. I hooked the sling to the back of the Chev and started to lift it up, the cable creaked and creaked finally the car came up. I thought wow these old car are heavy. As I stared to tow it across town the front tires of the tow truck were barely touching the ground to the point I was driving as slowly as I could. I only had to go a few miles. When I dropped off the car it went right down to the axel. I asked the new owner if he could unlock the trunk...it was completely full of old nuts and bolts! Must have been 2 to 3 thousand pounds of steel, the new owner did not know about. Never sure what you might get with your new old car.

Congratulations they will be great projects, send more pictures

(snip)... I asked the new owner if he could unlock the trunk...it was completely full of old nuts and bolts! Must have been 2 to 3 thousand pounds of steel, the new owner did not know about. Never sure what you might get with your new old car.

Congratulations they will be great projects, send more pictures

I'd love all those nuts and bolts! They can be very expensive!

I will have more photos next week after they arrive. Everybody will get a chance to see them as they will be featured on the A&E show "Shipping Wars." I can't say much more than that until the show airs. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures of them now that they have arrived. The TV show "Shipping Wars" filmed their whole trip from Texas to here in Colo. The guy who delivered them was the typical narcistic, self absorbed, thinks he is the star of the show type. He was not the "star" in a show about shipping it's the cargo that is the star not him. Had he been delivering boxes of frozen veggies, he would have no show. Ahhh, reality TV.

post-31565-143138937358_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138937384_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138937408_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138937432_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby

Looking good John! I can't wait to see photos of your progress. What kind of condition are they in, mechanical wise?

I don't know much about their conditions internally yet. They have kept been inside since about 1980. The "Ugly Duckling" as my girlfriends 8 yr old named it was last ran in the early 90s and looks like it still could. The green "Slime" as my GFs 6 yr old named it, it complete and the body is in good shape (in Amphicar terms) and it will make a great car to restore. Both will be for sale soon. I haven't had much time to really go over them as I am fighting a nasty cold. I sound like I'm going through puberty again! This timing was perfect for TV! :eek: :cool: I'll post something once I know when it will run. Sometime is August-ish probably.

"Reality" TV is "adjusted reality" for consumer entertainment. I personally know several people who were on reality shows and family who work behind the scenes so I have insight into the industry that most don't. Maybe Roy is a different guy when cameras aren't around but I doubt it. They have to have many of the usual suspects for drama. The hot chick, the jerk, the rookie and the nice guy among others.:rolleyes:

Here is a pic of my 1964 California Teardrop as requested. Excess? What's that? ;) It is on my short list of "to do" I'm going to restore it with some modern touches (small LCDTV, music and comfy bed) so when we go to car shows the kiddos have a safe place to play and hang out out of the sun. I have a 1963 Heilite tent trailer I'm giving to the Forney museum in Denver as a "thank you" for taking great care of my survivor Amphi for the last 5 years.

post-31565-143138937697_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

We just saw the episode of "Shipping Wars" that featured your cars. As soon as the cars were being delivered we saw you and said "That's the guy from the AACA forum!!" Did you know when you were looking for a shipping company that you would be featured in the show or did you find out after the fact? I always wondered how that worked out.

Did you ever get the green car running? This thread seems to have ended abruptly....