Too Many Cranking Amps?

TxBuicks

I had to replace my battery last weekend in my 1991 Roadmaster Wagon. The shop manual called for a battery with 525 cranking amps. The battery store had a battery with 650 cranking amps for $20 less than the one with 525. More is better, right? Well, the 650 cranking amps turns the engine over very, very fast when I start the car.

I am concerned now that it might be too much for the starter to handle, or that it might be damaging my engine cranking over so fast when cold. What are your thoughts? Is too many cranking amps bad?

I'm not an electrician, but I think the amperage rating on a battery describes the battery's ability to provide that current when called upon by a load. The battery doesn't push that current out on its own. Rather, the starter draws the current from the battery.

Roy

Pete is right. You cannot have too many amps. Your old battery has been trying to die for a long time and now the starter is working normally. The old rule-of-thumb for battery size was one amp per cubic inch displacement to give good service in all weather conditions. Years ago I had to put in a 350 amp battery in my Olds 455 (emergency and all that was available) and it gave good service for 4 years in central Texas. In my 55's I use a large truck/bus battery because it fits the battery tray --- those batteries are rated at 900 amp.

I bet that a new 350 amp battery would crank it well.

Willie