Sign in to follow this  
phoemsen

65 Gran Sport restoration

Big congrats on getting her running!!! I'm sure it was a great sense of accomplishment for you. Can't wait to see it all finished up.

Its Home!!!

After almost 10 years, my 1965 Riviera Gran Sport is sitting in its new "home"! It looks FANTASTIC!!! Still a few things to work on, but the paint is flawless, the chrome and stainless gleaming!

Very satisfied, pics to follow!

Spent a couple hours polishing and general cleanup. Lots more to go! Missing a couple small pieces of stainless just behind doors ( both sides ), and have to buy some more clips to attach the other pieces I have. Adjusted clam shells, they don't work from the switch though, just with a jumper, both relays are new. Looking forward to troubleshooting! It smokes a bit, 0 miles on rebuild, not bored over, but new cam installed. Probably just needs a nice cruise on the highway at varying speeds! That might not happen soon, by the time I get it appraised, insured a wheel alignment and tailpipes, the snow will be flying up here in the Great White North!

Thanks for all the encouragement, you guys have made it easier to complete!

Peter Hoemsen

ROA # 6910

post-62450-143139203428_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143139203399_thumb.jpg

She looks fantastic, you should be proud!!!! No problem, just bring it down South here in Miami, and I'll break her in for you over the winter.

O.K. , so I got the clam shells working. I had installed a brand new Standard brand Auxhillary relay - and it was defective. Just happened to have an NOS one sealed up in a Delco box! Popped it in and presto! Works like a charm! May have solved the smoking issue, found 3 spark plugs that were only in hand tight! Black gook was leaking out around one spark plug hole! Tightened them all up and it runs a lot smoother! That was his side, I did the driver's!!! He had the tough one under the A/C compressor that took longer and then must have forgotten to snug up the rest!

Very strange badge placement of the Gran Sport on driver's side. It is sitting about 2" farther froward than it should be! It was the original fender ( had red over spray on inside ). I know what the critics will think, "not a genuine GS ", but it is. Has anyone seen this before? My restorer had no idea, neither one of us ever having seen the badges installed, just the bare mounting holes. He had installed the Gran Sport logo, I put the Riviera script on and something did not look right! Is it possible that this was a factory screw-up? Monday morning? Friday just before shift change? To change it properly now would mean re-spraying the fender after welding the holes up. This is urethane paint, not base/clear.

Appraiser coming out tomorrow! Very curious what he pegs value at!

Peter,

Can you post a pic of the incorrect script? There are various reasons a script may be incorrectly located but being a factory screw up is not one of them. The holes would have been punched in the fender using a template making an error extremely unlikley. even if it was wrong it never would have passed quality control. Alot of strange things can happen during the life of a car.

Its tough to come up with a logical reason though. If the fender was replaced all they would have had to do is copy the location from the old fender. Maybe the damaged fender was discarded before they realized the replacement would need drilled so had no template. Then someone made and assumption and measured back from the wheel trim to the end of the GS script on the passenger side and used that as the starting point fo the GS script on the driver side which would put it too far forward.

As long as your engine is LX with a matching VIN and you have a BS code tranny with 3.42 axle you know you probably have a genuine car.

Hi Peter,

Post a pic of the top edge of the fender in question as viewed from the engine compartment...so, top inside edge facing the engine forward of the hood hinges.

Tom Mooney

Often, when the badges are misplaced, one will find a metal part tag with the GM numbers stamped on it which indicates a replacement fender. Not so in your case. I have not seen a trend in badge placement so different from normal.

Tom Mooney

Just went through this thread, nice restoration job! Any updates on the badging or what the appraiser said the value was?

Spent a couple hours polishing and general cleanup. Lots more to go! Missing a couple small pieces of stainless just behind doors ( both sides ), and have to buy some more clips to attach the other pieces I have. Adjusted clam shells, they don't work from the switch though, just with a jumper, both relays are new. Looking forward to troubleshooting! It smokes a bit, 0 miles on rebuild, not bored over, but new cam installed. Probably just needs a nice cruise on the highway at varying speeds! That might not happen soon, by the time I get it appraised, insured a wheel alignment and tailpipes, the snow will be flying up here in the Great White North!

Thanks for all the encouragement, you guys have made it easier to complete!

Peter Hoemsen

ROA # 6910

[ATTACH=CONFIG]157044[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]157045[/ATTACH]

stunning car! tyvm for sharing.......

Just installed the re-chromed rear bumper guards. During the re-chroming process, the threads got eaten away. We ended up tapping to 3/8 " and using 3/8 x 3/4" long bolts. It took a bit of massaging to mount these, but it all worked out in the end. I also got the 4 note horns installed.They sound great!!!

post-62450-143141885633_thumb.jpg

Looking great. Could you post a video and/or audio clip of the 4 note horns? I have a set that needs to be rebuilt, but have never actually heard how a properly working set sounds.

Rob.

Here you go, Rob. The small horns may need a little adjustment, they sound a bit off. They get drowned out when I hook up their big brothers!!!

I probably should've closed the hood, sounds a little meaner when its reverberating around that metal mass!

Interesting Tom but not surprising. My '65 has a similar situation as you already know and there are possible reasons for this. I remember the old days when I was selling NOS Buick stuff. There were times when I'd have identical parts in packaging next to each other and find differences such as stampings, color changes and the like. GM was and is a huge concern and as I remember insiders telling me, they often, if not always, had more than one vendor for parts. Imagine a plant burning down and GM not being able to produce cars ? I approach this emblem placement with much curiousity and wonder what the production date was for phoemsen's car. Mine was built the 1st week of June (O6A) and could it be possibe ? that with such a low production of GS models being built in comparison to the regular production Rivieras being built, that they may have run out of GS stamped fenders and retrofitted remaining parts rather than call for a new batch ? Please consider that by June, those producing for GM were already stamping '66 fenders ? Just a thought. Looking at my car, I have a difficult time believing that my left front fender had ever been changed and if you remember, we didn't see a replacement tag on mine either. GM did weird things and made interesting decisions. I had a '64 Wildcat loaded with EVERY option and often wondered why it wasn't equipped with the vacumn door locks like the Electra had. I brought this up to a GM insider named Jim Campbell and he told me it was a decision made because Fisher body didn't have adequate room to store the additional door panels. Go figure.

Often, when the badges are misplaced, one will find a metal part tag with the GM numbers stamped on it which indicates a replacement fender. Not so in your case. I have not seen a trend in badge placement so different from normal.

Tom Mooney

One more thought on the emblem/badge placement. The retrofit on the line could be a strong possibility. If I was a worker there with no GS fender to compare with (side by side) I'd probably think that lining it up to sit the same as the passenger side with the most forward finished edge of the emblem equal distance back from the wheel opening molding.

Hi Rich

There was no fender which was specifically stamped as a GS fender...at least according to the parts books. The emblems were most likely installed using a template on the assembly line. This makes sense from a production standpoint. Why create a unique stamping for an option which resulted in less than 10% of production. Also, Buick changed the emblems and placement after just one month of production. Create another die for stamping? Probably not. Considering the previous body work on your car and the questionable quality (no Riviera script on the pass side front fender...was this a rare factory exception???) I would guess the script was placed in the wrong location on a replacement fender, maybe a used fender, maybe NOS.

Tom

Hi Tom, Your points make perfect sense and I must be getting old because I forgot that there was only 1 part number in the book for a replacement fender as you mention. To be perfectly honest, the emblem placement on my driver's side fender has had me thinking since I took possession of this car. Anything is possible including a misplaced template at the time of production. There have been many times in my job where a needed tool or template was missing that facilitated some creative thinking. Again, anything is possible. As for my passenger fender where the Riviera emblem is missing ? I remember trying to mount/dismount that "Riviera" emblem with the fender on the car. Not impossible but very difficult to the big hands of an adult trying to get the appropriate tool inside the fender from the door jamb area to remove those pal nuts. I suspect that someone took the easy way out when applying that light skim of filler to my passenger fender, filling the mounting holes rather than going back and doing the right thing. Every profession has their shortcut experts and I'm sure you have seen as many in your job as I have in mine. Rich<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

It isn`t a stretch to imagine the same guy who decided to skip installation of the Riviera script also misplaced the driver`s side GS emblem. At the point of manufacture I would hope the quality control personnel would catch such a grossly misplaced emblem, especially in June!

Tom

I don't think anyone missed the Riviera emblem except for the body shop that decided not to try and install it. I'm sure the Riviera script was there when it left the factory...but only the phantom knows for sure about the Gran Sport emblem...

OK Riviera People: I'm guessing that the fenders on this car were replaced at one time or another. I think that the people in body shops just get sloppy and there's nothing new under the sun about that. Peter, there probably are people on the forum who could get you an accurate template. I do have some good news to share on a similar topic.

When I put my car together for the first time I used barrel clips. They look like little cylinders with a flange on the end and push through the hole where the emblem mounts. This way the emblems can be pushed on or pried off. Much better.

Home Depot has a set of ratcheting wrenches in their Husky line. The difference is that the ratcheting part can be set at an angle so....if one prefers to use the speed nuts, installation is much easier. Your car looks good.

Mitch

Is the badge placement on Rich's barn find Gran Sport similar to mine?

post-62450-143141899622_thumb.jpg

post-62450-14314189962_thumb.jpg

The "S" in Sport is directly below the "start of the "R" ???