Sign in to follow this  
phoemsen

65 Gran Sport restoration

Here are some new pics of my 65 Gran Sport project. The carbs hae been freshly rebuilt and bolted on. The next step is cleaning up the fuel lines and linkages for re-installation.

post-62450-143138901807_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143138901857_thumb.jpg

A couple of body shots! This car has been undergoing a VERY slow restoration process! I have owned it since 2003. Originally an Arizona car, no rust, but interior was burnt out. We took the body off, cleaned up and painted the frame.Motor ad trans were freshened up and re installed. Its getting closer to completion, hopefully this summer!

post-62450-143138902245_thumb.jpg

post-62450-14313890227_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143138902294_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143138902318_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143138902342_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice work. Good to see a good number of these first gen Riv's being brought back to life lately.

Keep us posted on the progress.

UPDATE !

Pulled some front buckets out of a 64 Wilcat ( made in Canada ) yesterday and delivered then to my interior guy. The original buckets had mysteriously disappeared. Mounting brackets are different, but can be adapted. Will try to locate proper seats in the future. Interior should be completed in about 10 days. Picked up some more parts, U-joints etc.,Could not find a driveshaft support bearing so I ordered one from Cars. Next step is to finish off the headliner, install windshield. The Lizard skin sound proofing and heat shield should arrive from Eastwood next week. I hate to spray anything on the under carriage. Others might not believe how pristine it was, I will take photos before spraying!

Informed my restorer that July 1 is the DEADLINE! It needs to be completed or it will be removed! Hopefully he understands my urgency!

More pics next week!

Peter Hoemsen

ROA # 6910

Seats found!

My seats have miraculously re-appeared. The story I got from the interior guy was - after we dropped off the Wildcat seats, someone contacted him looking to exchange some Riviera seats! Upon inspection, we are fairly certain that these were the seats that came with the car originally. The only piece we had was one of the seat tracks, coincidentally, the only piece missing from the Riv seats was...that seat track! Happy to have the proper seats. Back seats are complete. door panels completely re done, dash pad in progress, front seats are next.

Peter Hoemsen

ROA # 6910

• Like 1

A few pictures of the underside. Things are progressing well. Front seats are complete, just waiting for headliner installation to get finished, then side panels and seats can be put in. We might just complete this project yet!

post-62450-143138950555_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143138950603_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143138950648_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear you got your seats back. Looking good, looks like a very solid car.

Now, when you get her done, get her up on a lift, and clean that dusty underside.:P

Front seat pictures!

I'm very pleased the way these turned out. My interior guy was impressed with the skins we purchased from Clark's. He liked the way the seams were sealed and the quality of the vinyl. He beefed up the foam and replaced some springs on the driver's side. He commented that the previous owner must have been quite large and he really PUSHED off from the edge to get out of the car, those were the damaged springs. They look close to brand new now!

About the dust on the undercarriage, I was thinking a nice quick run on the highway would solve that problem!!! Soon, it will be running, hopefully! I will give it a wipedown. The shop is being used for a couple other projects that created that dust. I spend an awful lot of time with the California duster!

I am missing the little roller bearing piece that goes on the driver's seat track (inboard). I have the mounting bracket but that "carriage" piece has disappeared. I think these are rare - only 65 Rivs with power seat? Are there any other models that use this so I could track one down?

Thanks,

Peter Hoemsen ROA # 6910

post-62450-14313895089_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143138950938_thumb.jpg

You should let Calvin Clark know what your upholsterer thought of his seats. Calvin is very contious of his product and is always striving to make things better when he can. Plus he's very happy to know that his products are well received.

A friend of mine had a set of Calvin's covers installed on his '65 Gran Sport. He drove it to the ROA meet in Lake Tahoe and Calvin was at that meet. My friend said that Calvin asked permission then spent about 30 minutes inside the car making sure that every stitch was correct and everything fit perfectly.

Ed

Looks real nice. I'll be ordering a complete set of Fawn Cloth/Vinyl covers from Clark's when that time comes.

Rear seat complete!!!

Just got this finished. Package shelf was a bit of a problem,carpet issues etc. Sure feels good to see progress!!!

post-62450-143139061353_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143139061381_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143139061404_thumb.jpg

love that black seat/carpet combo

the stitching pattern is so good on those Riv seats....

If my car was more buggered I'd change them to that... not that I'm complaining....

Back seat looks super nice, and factory fresh. Where did u get your package tray?

I'm not sure where I got it. the issues were

The overall thickness of the fiberglass and vinyl and it required a lot of massaging to sit in place properly. We ended up not using any screws to hold the back lip in- used Velcro instead!

OK Phoemsen: I'm glad you got your package tray in one piece with a clean installation. For those who are looking for a package tray be very careful of the one offered by the OPGI'. It's cheep in price (although it's going up every new catalog) and it's not even close to what goes there. So the TWO warnings are..........

1. The product is horrible

2. Don't go ripping your tray out just because you've found a new repop with a cheep price on it because if you get their tray and yours is in the garbage can.....you are stuck! Mitch

I'll try this again...

Progress is slow, but steady. Instrument panel installed, a few more trim pieces sourced out, might be running in 2 weeks???

post-62450-143139095768_thumb.jpg

post-62450-14313912643_thumb.jpg

post-62450-14313912651_thumb.jpg

Glass is in, console is in. Working on small things in engine compartment, fuel lines, heater hoses, etc. Added fuel to tank, getting ready to fire it up!!!

post-62450-143139126395_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143139126456_thumb.jpg

post-62450-143139126484_thumb.jpg

My restorer decided that we needed to change out front wheel bearings and seals. Wish we had done this sooner! I would sure like to have a specific date that we can start it up and drive it!

Still pretty dusty under there, I'll have to get busy with a cloth!!!

post-62450-143139131921_thumb.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=149666&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1344903641

post-62450-143139131949_thumb.jpg

Well, we finally fired this baby up!!! It has not been started since 1980. Motor was freshened up about 9 years ago. Yesterday, we spun the oil pump over to pressurize, then installed the distributor and spark plug wires and coil. A few squirts of fuel, a few cranks and it fired right up! I was amazed! I am currently uploading the video to youtube, it may take awhile.

Here is the link to the entire video on Youtube MVI 0254 - YouTube

Still do not have the car home, but one step closer!!!

post-62450-143139183019_thumb.jpg