1935 Buick Identification

Sleonard65

I am trying to find out if my friends Buick with a chassis number of #2874267 is a 1934 or 1935 buick sports couipe. Sorry I don't have a photo. My friend lives in Ireland. Are there any special items on the car that only a 1934 or 35 Model would

have. He said it does have wire wheels but all I ever see is artillery wheels on Buicks. I called the Alfred Sloan Museum but they said their Buick information starts a 1970 and up. Any Buick enthusiast have any information?

Reds,

I suggest you post on the Buick forum and invite your friend in Ireland also. There are a number of Buick owners in the UK and I believe also Ireland. There should be a tag on the firewall that will indicate the model number. Is it a RHD or LHD? Can your friend post a picture. From 1934, all the wheels were steel, no more wood, but the steel wheels were made to look similar to wqod spokes (artillary), but they also had wires to 1933, and possibly beyond.

John

Unfortunately, the serial numbers ran consequetively from the beginning of 1934 throuth the beginning of 1936 with no separation. However, if the car has a body on it, it has a Fisher body plate on the firewall. If the Fister body number starts with a "34" then the car is a 1934. If it starts with a "35" then it's a 1935. Solved.:)

Guest Oracle

McLaughlin-Buick chassis ran # 207001 and up for the 1934 34-50 series, and # 210001 and up for the 34-60 Series, Engine #s 2862001 and up. The 1935 cars all adopted the new GM of Canada designations, with 545xx001 TO # 545xx847 and 546xx001 TO # 546xx361, engine #s 2940001 TO # 2941400.

Lendrum & Hartman dubbed the '34s and '35s both the 'NA' Series... CA for '33 then NA/NA then DA for '36 spelling CA-NA-NA-DA!

Edited by Oracle (see edit history)

On a rough measurement from the side profile photo, the wheelbase is about 8 times the wheel diameter - 16 inch wheels x 8 = 128", which would make me think it is a Model 66S (Series 60). A look at the id plate would confirm it, along with whether it is US or Canadian-built. It is left hand drive which would mean it is unlikely to have been supplied new through Lendrum and Hartmans, and may have been imported later. It looks to need some work. The brown in the interior should be woodgrain-look paint. The interior should be in cord fabric and there looks to be rot on the lower door edge. The wood body frame may well be rotten if it has been damp. According to The Standard Catalog, wire wheels were an option in 1935. Assuming it is a 1935 66S it is relatively rare - Buick sold 257 of them, along with four special order export models. I know of one here in NZ.

The fender-mounted side lights, the fog light and the trunk are accessories. I see it has its crank hole cover which is missing on many cars.

I haven't had contact with him for some years but Mac Blair of the 1932 Buick Registry had a world wide register of Buicks of that era.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)