1919 Dodge Brothers Striped Mohair

Guest brian j

Guest brian j

Some of you may remember on my posts that i was looking into having mohair seat fabric reproduced to repair or possibly recover the seats in the future on my 1919 Dodge Brothers convertible coupe. After exhaustive research i determined there is no matching replacement fabric in existence for this car. No Cartouche,No SMS, No anywhere. My reasoning is my seats, however 3/4 intact, are brittle, have changed from the original gray to brown(smoker?), and a portion is ripped and badly damaged. When there is nothing available i feel it would be a positive thing to see if new fabric can be custom made in mohair. Even if i do not use it in the near future, if it were reproduced, it could be stored away, figuring it may not be ABLE to be reproduced in the future. I have.... after much searching found a couple of leads in the U.S. One individual i spoke with said it is possible to make and can be done in small quantities. However, he guesstimated cost to be $200.00 per yard. I have again included pics in this post. If i am successful in having this fabric reproduced, would there be any interest with Dodge Brothers forum members in obtaining a quantity of this material? I'm going ahead with this regardless,and i'm sure that not many DB cars originally had this material, but i thought i should ask. It's such a beautiful material to see in person, and the texture is something a wool broadcloth can't equal. Regards.

post-31587-143138898546_thumb.jpg

post-31587-143138898566_thumb.jpg

Guest brian j

Here's pics of the condition of the seats today....they have turned over time to an amber brown.....the previous pics show areas i found that were not turned to brown from ???? Notice in the one pic the plain mohair on the rest of the interior also appears brown. The original color was light gray, and over time darkened became this color.

post-31587-143138898616_thumb.jpg

post-31587-143138898641_thumb.jpg

Hello Brian,

I may be going a little off message here but I just wondered if there is any edging material in your car. It ts called 'pasting lace' or 'braiding', over here and I have recently stumbled across a firm here in Derby who are able to re-manufacture any trimming materials that have ever been made.

I was given a guided tour of the factory which in one form or another has been in business for generations and was truly amazing. Can you get edging materials?

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

This is the sitehttp://www.trimmingsbydesign.co.uk/detail.asp?d=1

Trimmings by Design

Nothing wrong with the direct approach but as I am co-ordinating orders from owners of Austin Swallows like my own and have a personal contact with the factory owner who has agreed to short runs i.e 50 metres min.

at lower prices, I am happy to discuss any enquiries from Club members.

Note: simple but effective. Pasting lace (or braiding) otherwise unobtainable in any colours - reversible as shown. Any pattern or design to top quality.

Silk rope also produced.

Ray.

post-78869-143138898958_thumb.jpg

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Brian, I would consider contacting other 19 owners, who knows what other years used this same fabric but I would start there.

tThis is the sitehttp://www.trimmingsbydesign.co.uk/detail.asp?d=1

Just a guess bu maybe the problem is here that you did not allow a space between the word site and the http. Just a guess but you getting closer

Guest brian j

To R.White....there are several kinds of edgings, and they are attached in different ways. These are very high quality materials, and i will be taking pics, and showing their composition, and the way they are attached,and i will add to the post. I of course would be interested in getting these materials made also. Thanks for the "heads up".

Brian - I looked at different mohairs for you and could find nothing close either....the best thing that looks vintage was a striped mohair for '49 Fords, but nothing like yours. That amber-brown color just seems to come from age as the dyes fade away...usually you can see the original colors in creases or places covered up by ashtrays or something. I knew real mohairs were pricey, but in looking I saw many priced from $160 - $220 / yd...so maybe a custom mohair at $200 / yd isn't too bad....gulp...did I just type that??? :) Like Jason said maybe talk to other owners if you want to get price down....I would be interested in knowing your custom source as I have been looking for someone w/ a Rauch & Lang w/ original upholstery that they want to match as well.

Ray, thanks for the website! Maybe I can get them to do a custom blue-green windlace for my car!

Guest brian j

Hi. I'll be glad to give you my sources, as soon as i see something concrete. I'm getting people who tell me they "think" they can do this, but untill i see a piece of the fabric in my hand, i could still be on a fools errand. You guys will be the first to know. Regards.

How much do you think you will need Brian, you are lucky, not much there, just a guess I would say 6-8 yards would be more than enough but maybe I am way off

Guest brian j

To Mr. White from the UK. Thanks for the "heads up" on the trimming. There are trim pieces i would like to see if can be produced. I have been going over all the trim used and there is quite a variety of it. I will be posting details soon. I was looking up other suppliers for upholstery materials and i found an interesting place called WOOLIES, in the UK in Peterborough, England. Have you heard of them? Do they have a good reputation? They have a lot of the old time seating materials, of which i can not find an equivalent in the U.S. Regards.

Absolutely, I have heard of WOOLIES; I have had stuff from them on occasions and been happy with the quality and the service. I think there are many old car people who use them but of course I can only speak for myself. They will not, however, be able to produce the edging trim but if you wish to place an order with 'Trimmings By Design', they are just a short drive into town for me and I know the owner, who has assured me of a discounted price for a reasonable run.(50 metres min.)

Ray