401 Nailhead Engines For Sale

Have several 401's for sale. One from a 1963 Riviera with Dynaflow crankshaft. Other from 1965 Riviera with Turbo 400 crankshaft. <P>Both engines complete pan to air cleaner. Ran when pulled. $250 each.<P>Also have many nailhead parts from the same vintage of Rivieras. Heads, manifolds, cranks, etc.<P>San Francisco area. Possible delivery.

I am interested in an air cleaner housing for my 63 Riv (with single carter 4 bbl). The snorkel is bent up on mine. Do you have a straight assembly that you would sell? If so, how much?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Michael Spears<BR>Quilcene, Washington<BR>email: greystoneacademy@yahoo.com

• 9 years later...
Guest coustic69

how can you tell the diffrence in what type of crankshaft you have. i have a 65 buick riviera motor for sale and i would like to tell some details

• 2 years later...
Guest TONY923

AM INTERESTED IN THE 1963 RIVIERA 401 NAILHEAD ENGINE. I AM NOT SURE IF THE TRANS IS COMPATIBLE WITH THIS ENGINE. HOW CAN I TELL IF IT CAN BE DYNAFLOW?

ALSO WHAT WOULD THE SHIPPING CHARGES BE FROM YOU TO WESTCHESTER ILLINOIS FOR THAT ENGINE.

Guest TONY923
AM INTERESTED IN THE 1963 RIVIERA 401 NAILHEAD ENGINE. I AM NOT SURE IF THE TRANS IS COMPATIBLE WITH THIS ENGINE. HOW CAN I TELL IF IT CAN BE DYNAFLOW?

ALSO WHAT WOULD THE SHIPPING CHARGES BE FROM YOU TO WESTCHESTER ILLINOIS FOR THAT ENGINE.

JUST LET ME KNOW YOU ZIP CODE AND I WILL FIND OUT THE SHIPPING COST. WOULD YOU ACCEPT $ 200.00 FOR THE 1963 RIVIERA NAIL HEAD ENGINE. ACCORDING TO THE AD, IT IS A COMPLETE ENGINE THAT WAS RUNNING WHEN IT WAS REMOVED. PLEASE RESPOND I NEED TO KNOW BY TOMORROW TO DETERMINE IF I WILL PURCHASE A PROJECT CAR. THANK YOU

Tony,dynaflo was 1 year only in the riviera,63.there 2 speed that you cant feel shift.shift indicator as follows P-N-D-L-R.ive got a running 401 in my parts car,just too busy right now to deal with getting rid of it.if your still looking for one in 4 or 5 months contact me with a private message on the ROA forum.tenugent roa #12969...

The 64 and later crankshaft has a smaller diameter hub on the crank than the '63 and earlier cranks do. The flex plate for a dynaflow is actually a triangular piece that serves only to connect the crank to the converter. The dynaflow starter ring is part of the converter. The dynaflow equipped car takes a different starter than the ST400 transmission. The flex plate for the ST400 is round and the starter ring gear is part of it. The starter is shorter than the dynaflow starter. The ST400 kickdown is electronic, the dynaflow kickdown is mechanical. There are lots of differences.

If you're looking for an engine for a particular car, be patient and find the engine for that particular car. In other words, THEY DO NOT JUST BOLT IN. Drive shaft lengths are different, carrier bearings are different and in a different location. Transmission crossmembers are different and in different locations. Tons and tons of differences. Unless you're absolutely sure of what you have and what you're undertaking, find a year for year swap. 63 carbs are different than 64 carbs which are different from 65 carbs which are different from 66 carbs. Carbs hook to transmissions for the kick down.

Read Russ Martins write-up about the 4 different 401's that Buick built and the two different 425's that Buick built. It will make you lie awake nights wondering just what in the world you've gotten yourself into.

If the transmission is still not in the car, the Dynaflow has "DYNAFLOW" cast in big letters across the top and it has a mechanical kick down. The ST400 has a tag on the side that identifies it as an ST400 and a code (BS, BT, etc.) that tells from which car it came as well as a stamped year in the tag.

Buick made changes from year to year for improvements. If you're putting something older on something newer, you're taking one step forward and two steps back. You either need a lot of knowledge and experience, or deep pockets and lots of parts cars to pick from, oh yeah, and someone who knows this s%#t forwards and backwards to do it for you.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
Guest Beast51083

Hello, I have a 1965 riviera body only this is my first build,  Im looking for just a nailhead block. If you have any info or have one you would like to sell or any tips please contact me, Terrydvperkins1983@yahoo.com 

Thank you.

• 3 years later...
On 5/7/2017 at 6:18 PM, lrlforfun said:

OK Beast:  Location?  I have dozens of Nailhead blocks, cores, etc.   Mitch

Do you have 1957 to 1963 nailhead block core with dynaflow crank installed? Does not have to be rebuildable, but crank flange must be ok. I am in Kansas.

23 minutes ago, d2_willys said:

Do you have 1957 to 1963 nailhead block core with dynaflow crank installed? Does not have to be rebuildable, but crank flange must be ok. I am in Kansas.

You do realize that a 401 has a 1/4" longer stroke than a 364.

The crank flange is part of the crank forging.  The crank of a 364/401 has a flange on it and 7 holes in the flange. 6 are for bolts, the seventh is an alignment hole. The flex plate is a triangle.  Six holes in the center of the flex plate line up with the six holes in the crank flange, the 7th hole lines up with the 7th hole in the crank flange (balancing) Three holes, one on each tip of the triangle shaped flex plate bolt to the torque converter. There's a lip on the crank flange that fits in the center hole of the flex plate. The starter ring is part of the torque converter so the Dynaflow equipped cars require a longer nosed starter.

The parts in this picture do not interchange 364 to 401

364-401_nochange.jpg.8f0b4760d03a0f1b1855774580a69745.jpg

The parts in this picture do interchange

364-401_interchange.jpg.085b0c20e2315388cfb60d25c944f10d.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2002 at 11:29 PM, Guest said:

Have several 401's for sale. One from a 1963 Riviera with Dynaflow crankshaft. Other from 1965 Riviera with Turbo 400 crankshaft. <P>Both engines complete pan to air cleaner. Ran when pulled. $250 each.<P>Also have many nailhead parts from the same vintage of Rivieras. Heads, manifolds, cranks, etc.<P>San Francisco area. Possible delivery.

Do you still have a 401 core with a Dynaflow crankshaft to go in it? Both the block and crank do not have to be useable. The core would need used main bearings to mount the crank.