New Reatta Owner In NC

Guest Corvanti

Guest Corvanti

Hi all...

i just purchased a '89 Reatta over the weekend. it has a few problems and i do have the "1988 Service Manual - Final Edition", and the "1989 Owner's Manual". i've also been using the "search" function here looking for answers...

just 2 questions to start with:

the right headlight opened slowly about 1/2 way when i first looked at it and now only opens using the actuator knob. when i pushed the "off" switch, it went down fine, but wouldn't do anything when i then hit the "on" switch. (so much for a quick fix :rolleyes:). i haven't had time to tear into it yet, but from what i've read so far, in my search, is that it's probably a nylon gear. is that correct? is the gear the same part as the fiero and C-4 Corvettes?

the other problem is the driver's side power window. after taking the door panel off, i discovered the "sash channel" rivets were gone and the channel was lying below the window. the motor is fine, but the roller is quite wobbly. can the sash channel be put back on the glass with nuts & bolts instead of rivets?

thanks in advance for any answers. i'd like this to be a "keeper" - runs like new!!! :)

Guest steveskyhawk

Congratulations! Everybody with a Reatta has headlight problems sooner or later. I sell a kit that fixes the Reatta Headlight opening problem. You can get it in my eBay store. (Link in my signature)

Guest gotitright

If you check further there are quite a few options on this site for the headlite. Padgett, one of the sites most knowledgele members did a great synopsis on your solutions.

Corvanti, welcome! I have two 1989 Reattas and think they were the best year. Good luck with yours. As stated above you will probably need a rebuild kit. There are other sources available for the parts you need then the prior poster. You may want to consider looking at the list of vendors listed at the top of the Reatta page. It is a problem area, but easily corrected.

Regarding your window. Once the window seperates from the hardware, there is no good way to rebond it. My advice would be to check out Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market or once again the list of vendors this time looking for those that sell used parts.

Some would say that I am biased, but if you want good parts at a competative price contact Jim Finn. My best advice is locate a U Pick and see what you can get yourself for the best price. Additional benefit is that you learn how to pull your part on the yards car.

Guest Corvanti

Thanks all for all the responses so far!!! :D

i'm in wilmington, nc. actually closer (2 miles) to carolina beach.

my screen name is from when i owned C-3 and C-5 Corvettes and a '63 Studebaker Avanti. also had a '40 Studebaker. the economy :mad: and health issues :( forced me to sell them. trying to recover now... oh, and Mrs. Corvanti decide to leave right before christmas...

once i "perform surgery" on the right headlight, i'll be checking out what part(s) i need and will check y'all out.

i was able to get the window to stay in the "up" position, the "sash channel" is in the trunk for now.

i'll be working on both as time/health allows...

thanks again for all the responses so far!!! i'm sure i'll have more questions soon... :)

Thanks all for all the responses so far!!! :D

i'm in wilmington, nc. actually closer (2 miles) to carolina beach.

my screen name is from when i owned C-3 and C-5 Corvettes and a '63 Studebaker Avanti. also had a '40 Studebaker. the economy :mad: and health issues :( forced me to sell them. trying to recover now... oh, and Mrs. Corvanti decide to leave right before christmas...

once i "perform surgery" on the right headlight, i'll be checking out what part(s) i need and will check y'all out.

i was able to get the window to stay in the "up" position, the "sash channel" is in the trunk for now.

i'll be working on both as time/health allows...

thanks again for all the responses so far!!! i'm sure i'll have more questions soon... :)

Not far from me. I may can pop down one Saturday and help you with whatever you need help with! :)

My family has been into Studebakers a long time. We're down to just 4 Avantis now. Two '63s, a '69 and a '87 convertible. Great cars. Especially the '63s. You may know my grandfather Bob Murray. He's been in Durham NC messing with Avantis since the late 60s.

Corvanti,

Welcome. Let me be the first to invite you to join the Buick Club of America and the Reatta Division of the Buick Club of America. Both are great organizations and we would love to have you. Visit Buick Club of America - BCA - Welcome and Reatta Division of the Buick Club of America - Home for more info on each.

Also being as you are in Wilmington. Let me also invite you to the 2012 BCA National meet in Concord, NC. It's about 4 hours drive time (via I-40/85 or a bit longer via Hwy 74). WE will have at least 10 Reattas in attendance probably many more and the Reatta Division has a neat cruise on Thursday night of the event called the Reatta Rendezvous. It's a great opportunity to meat some Reatta experts and make Reatta friends and Buick friends plus there is an all Buick swap meet so you may find some things you have to have too. For a registration form and event info got to 2012 Buick Club of America 500 at Concord, NC National Meet. Registration deadline is MAy 20th. The Reatta cruise is separately organized from the meet itself but info will be post on this forum shortly I suspect.

Did you people in Wilmington know there is a 1991 donated Reatta convertible at Cape Fear CC? I stopped a few years back and it was parked outside the automotive shop. The homeless people had broken into it and forced the passanger seat back so they could sleep in it. I wonder if they still have it.

Did you people in Wilmington know there is a 1991 donated Reatta convertible at Cape Fear CC? I stopped a few years back and it was parked outside the automotive shop. The homeless people had broken into it and forced the passanger seat back so they could sleep in it. I wonder if they still have it.

I may go check that out. Only about 2.5 hours away. Do you have a phone number I could call, Barney?

Barney,

I have never heard about that, but I am not really a Reatta guy. I am really more of a Model A Ford and Buick Riviera guy, with some other interests, but I started reading the Reatta Forums as a moderator and find it interesting.

I have been trying to see a Reatta for sale, but can't ever seem to find a time that works for me and the seller, so buying that is sort of a longshot.

There is a Reatta on the inventory of a local pick and pull yard and I have been thinking about checking it out.

Window depends on that you mean by "sash channel" If the rubber channel on the leading edge, you are better off getting the whole window. If the aluminum channel on the bottom well maybe but go to a glass shop and have them rivet back on, bolts could overstress the glass unless using nylock, thread locker and being gentle

Guest Kingsley

Corvanti, welcome to the Reatta Forum. You will find it most valuable when looking for M & R information. With respect to headlight crank arm and parts kits, to get an unbiased, comprehensive comparison, you may wish to take a look at Padgett's work - padgettp.com. A lot of effort went into it and should be of help to you. Always best to consider what you get for what you pay.

I do not see where Jim Finn (jfinn@cpinternet.com) has had a chance to make himself known on this thread but you can count on him for good parts at fair prices. Been doing it for many, many years.

Sending you a PM and again, welcome, glad to have you aboard!

Kingsley

Member AACA, BCA, Reatta Division

1989 Coupe - 1990 Coupe

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com

Guest Corvanti

again, thanks for all the great responses!!!

i'll be checking out the headlight parts, the BCA, and would love to make it to concord, nc!!! :D

Guest Richard D

Recian, Find another one that is already a driver! You already know all about them, I only paid $1,800 for mine about 3 years ago

Guest Recian

I dont have that kind of money. I payed less than $1000 for my subaru and i havent even put 1800 into it getting it into a driver and it'll get better MPG. Plus this car has paint unlke my reatta. Its a garage kept 95 with 129k miles. It has some body damage where the owner hit a deer or something but nothing a junkyard run and a few 100 in paint wont fix.

Guest Corvanti

sorry about that, recian!!! :)

i wasn't looking specifically for a reatta, but i've always liked the style and one came up at what i thought was a decent price.

i'm really liking the support found here on the forum!!!

Guest Recian

This is the best forum out there for anything. That's kinda why i regret selling mine. Guess i'll just have to school you guys in subaru to stay up here :D