'63 Heater Control Valve

CheezeMan

Does anyone have a good picture of how the heater control valve mounts? I am looking for the non-a/c version.

The rubber part on the inside of the air inlet case fell down inside the heater space. I retrieved this part but need to put it back and wasn't sure how it mounted in relationship to the control valve. I know it goes from the inside of the box under the control valve, so wondered how it looked from the outside, and how the mounting screws went.

Thanks in advance!

post-65039-143138887181_thumb.jpg

Ok, so after removing everything and cleaning all parts and then refinishing, I came up with the most likely way they were originally put together. I had to refab the top metal plate because the old one was not found.

The reason this was a question in the first place, a PO took this apart and the mount fell into the air inlet. Instead of retrieving it, they popped 2 new holes in to the case and screwed the water valve directly on. I don't believe it was meant to be directly bolted on, but should fit into a pocket formed between the top plate and the rubber below. I'm still looking for better information than I have to work with, so replies are welcome.

For the Riviphiles who notice--- the water valve is not the correct one. This was a stand-in I had laying around just for the photos.

I bought it from someone claiming it was correct for Riviera for $175, but it wasn't.

If anyone is looking for a large car water valve (for Le Sabre, Electra, etc.) then this one is for sale ($45). My loss is your gain.

I managed to find a correct NORS water valve and that is the one in the car right now.

post-65039-143138897586_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143138897601_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143138897609_thumb.jpg

Chuck,

The water valve on a '63 Riviera is mounted to the firewall. The bracket screws directly to the firewall. The TEMP cable runs to it, and a wire from the control valve to a lever on the heater control panel. I can't get pictures of mine right now, but perhaps someone else can. The '63 Riviera water valves are unobtanium unless you find a good used one. The one you have is close, but the lever is mounted at 6 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock.

See Jim Cannon's article in the Tech Tips section on the ROA's website. He's replaced the mechanical one with a vacuum one.

Ed

This is how it looks after installation.

Ed, appreciate the info, but my post did state I had the wrong valve and that was on purpose. :D The correct one was already in the car.

Also, looking for suggestions on where that blasted ground strap hooks onto the firewall. I originally thought it went to the heater control valve, but there is no electrical connection there since there is a rubber gasket on each side of the screw and nothing contacts metal.

Thanks for looking.

post-65039-143138898943_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143138898949_thumb.jpg

Edited by CheezeMan (see edit history)