Youths Charged for Drag Racing!

R W Burgess

Darn, and I was just getting ready to tell my clop-clop-clop-clop-clop-BANG-clop clop clop story (Amish drive-by shooting)....oh well, guess I can't tell it now that it's not politically correct.

Let's see, to make this car related, let's just say it's a shame the Amish never used cars in the old days, they build the nicest barns, and just think of the barn finds!

The finest top on an early open car I've ever seen came out of an Amish shop, it was exquisite. They are true craftsmen.............

Amish hot rod= a buggy with TWO horses!

Kids are kids, no matter their background. There's a sizable Mennonite community here and I was friends with a couple of those boys in high school. Even though Mennonites are a little more amenable to modern things than Amish, in the 70s they were still very conservative when it came to transportation.

It was no secret that one of my Mennonite friends liked a fast car. He knew he couldn't own one himself, but he was always more than willing to ride shotgun. And yes, he got into the same trouble we did for street racing simply for being there.

We have used an Old Order Amish foundry for many years. We have become friends, been to the farm for dinner, etc. I very much admire the Amish. They not only talk the talk, they walk the walk. The Amish recognize that there is a time when teenagers are growing up during which they "sow their wild oats" and Amish cuture recognizes this time as part of the natural order of things to the point of giving it a name..."Rumspringa". During this "Rumspringa" Amish youth are allowed to do their thing. It is not uncommon for boys to have a car stashed in some out of the way barn. Alcohol and drugs, while certainly less tolerated are not unknown. When the youth come of age and marry and join the church all that stops. When Obamacare first came around they were very concerned as to whether the Amish were exempted (they are). There is no formal church hierarchy among the Amish. Each "church" is separate. When the young Amish girls were massacred at the Nickle Mines School in Lancaster, PA by the end of the day the Amish had sent a delegation to the Father of the killer offering their forgiveness and sharing in his grief at the loss of his Son. While there was of course much mourning and grieving over the deaths in the end they accepted it as God's will...as they accept everything. Joke told to me by the Amish...what would the Amishman do if he won 1 million dollars in the lottery? Answer...farm 'til that was gone! Ironic that we have made hundreds and hundreds of various antique car parts from castings supplied to us by the non driving Amish.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Amish drive by.....Hyuk Hyuk!!

Must be all that negative influence from those wild and crazy Mennonites

Clip clop, clip clop......Bang, bang, bang.........Clippity clop, clippity clop......:D