Stopped to get gas, now car won't start!!!

Guest Jerrys 49

Guest Jerrys 49

I stopped in to get gas tonight, and when I jumped back in to leave, the car won't start!!! My car is a 1949 Roadmaster.. The battery was fine, but yet I still attempted to jump it just in case. No start. Not even a click! Just the lonesome stranded sound of me pressing on the gas pedal. I sat and waited almost two hours for a tow, and hoped that she would start after she cooled down, but no.

Could this be my starter? What do you guys think? The only change I made recently was replacing the fan belt. I had put in a new voltage regulator, but ended up putting back in my old one since the new one didn't work! I have the wires correctly placed on the regulator, and I have polarized the regulator as well..

I am at a loss. Only thing I think it may be is the starter. Keep in mind the car makes NO sound when trying to start, and the battery seems to be alright.

Jerry

1949 Buick Roadmaster

Guest shadetree77

Does your car still have the pedal-actuated carburetor-mounted starter switch? I would start by checking that, then move down the line through the entire starting system testing one thing at a time. I had a similar experience recently and it took forever to figure out the problem. Lots of testing and replacing parts to finally figure out what was wrong. Good luck!

You can use a little section of jumper wire to bypass the starter switch on the carburetor, just in case that's the problem. Make sure the car's in neutral and the ignition is on, because it'll spin the starter and start the engine if everything else is in order. I had to do that on the one and only day I ever drove my '41. Just jump the wire between the two terminals on the starter switch to bypass it.

I would suspect the gas pedal actuated starter switch. My 40 Buick has a back up starter button. It starts perfectly using the gas pedal 99% of the time, but every once in a while it wont. There is no click or anything, but when I press the back up starter button it starts. This happens usually when the car is warmed up, especially if it stalls.

Jerry

Be sure it is in P or N and move the selector through that range with the key on and gas petal depressed. If jumping across the switch on the carb does not work, jump 6v+ to the solenoid at the starter relay if equipped. You need a good battery along with a properly attached carb switch, generator, voltage regulator, starter relay, solenoid and starter and of course good grounds everywhere. We'll figure it out.

Willie

Usually these kinds of problems involve simple fixes, which is not to say finding the problem is simple. First, this sounds like a battery connection problem. Your car started before you shut it off and the battery should have been charging because the car was running. To find no current whatsoever means the battery was not low, just nothing coming through. (Try the headlights) You can turn the key on and see if the amp gauge wiggles. If so, current is coming through. You can also put an electrical gauge on any one of many circuits to see if there is current with the key on. If there is no current pull both electrical cables from the battery and carefully clean then and run a wire brush through them along with cleaning the battery terminals. Reconnect and see what happens. I have had the problem you describe a number of times and nine times out of ten this solves the problem. Just looking at the terminal connections and seeing what looks like a clean terminal is not enough. Remove and clean. I once had this problem and after some trouble-shooting removed the battery cables and at first thought they looked perfect. After reinstalling, with the no current result, they were again removed and I notices a "sheen" on the lead connecting surfaces and after cleaning this sheen off the car started immediately. The "sheen" was like a varnish and was interfereing with the connection, and there was no visible traditional gunk.

If this does not work look for loose connections along the electrical route. If you have an amp meter (electrical gauge) start tracing for a lack of current and then go backward from there.

Post what you finally determing the problem to be.

Good Luck, Patrick W. Brooks :)

Check your ground wires are clean and tight. Battery good. Also, if you have a test light and a buddy, check the hot wire at the starter solenoid when in the start position for the peddle. If no juice follow the wire to the culprit.

Some interesting quick fixes on the starter vacuum switch on the carb. My car starts as soon as you turn the key to on. No gas pedal needed...just sometimes. Probably a linkage adjustment.

Guest Jerrys 49

So.. after the tow truck dropped me and my Buick off last night, I decided to try and start her up before going to bed. Same problem. Nothing. so what I did this time since I was in my garage and had tools, I grabbed my hammer and knocked on my starter a couple of times. I jumped back in and got some progress! The engine was turning over, but very slowly. Had to jump the battery to fire her up. So what I'm thinking is, I may have a few things going on.. might be a bad battery even though it's new, the starter should probably be rebuilt, and I'm thinking perhaps the generator may be in need of rebuilding even though my ammeter shows a charge while driving.

I'm thinking my next step will be to bring in my starter and generator. Would I be able to bring them in by themselves to be rebuilt, or do I need to bring the starter and generator in with the buick? Dumb question I'm thinking.. :)

Or, if you guys think I may have another problem I welcome all thoughts.. I'm just thinking that it is not my switch at the carb since when I knocked on the starter a bit I got the engine to turn over. I have gone through and polished up as many ground locations that I can see under the hood as well..

Jerry

1949 Buick Roadmaster