Pierce Arrow Dash Clock from the 1930's

Guest Danscharger

Guest Danscharger

I have a clock that I want to mount in a wood case and run it with a battery. It has a magnetically operated lever which has springs and a racheting gear. When the lever runs reaches the top and runs out of tension, a set of points close to operate the magnetic coil and draw down the lever. I tried using a regular 9 volt battery to operate the coil but it moves the lever only slightly. What would I need to do to get the clock to run on batteries or maybe a plug in ac/dc transformer? Thank for any information that you can provide.

It's a 6 volt positive ground clock. The 9v battery should be ok to wind it. You may have a clock issue. Ed

Guest Danscharger
It's a 6 volt positive ground clock. The 9v battery should be ok to wind it. You may have a clock issue. Ed

Thanks for the reply. I suspect that the coil may be the problem. Everything seems to be loose enough. Don't know enough about these things to be sure. I see that you own a couple of Pierce Arrows. My late mother in law worked at Pierce during the 1930's. Here is a photo of her modeling one of their cars for the 1933 auto show.

post-83752-143138876639_thumb.jpg

I own a car clock business. There's no easy way to do what you want to do. Not only do you need a 6v source but you need to have enough power and capacity. I use a small 6v lead acid battery to do all of my test running. A dry type battery won't last very long. Also, you will want to put a 2 amp fuse in the power supply line. If you don't and your voltage drops too far below 6v, you will probably burn the clock (and maybe your house) up.

Guest Danscharger
I forgot to mention that there's a few things that can cause the problem you mention, the most likely one being the adjustment of the point action.

Thanks for the reply and your advise . I guess that I will leave it as a decorative piece for now.