Inner Tubes...the beat goes on

Just opened a box of 17" rubber stemmed inner tubes from one of the major suppliers of collector tires and tubes. When we tried to remove the plastic valve cap from the first one the entire metal stem pulled out of its rubber covering and all 6 had deformed stems with the rubber not completely formed in the mold. I guess quality control is a thing of the past.:mad:

Jeff, I think we had this same discussion about a year ago? I'm sure your supplier will replace them for you, although that does not heal the pain and suffering.

You should probably add "overseas" quality.:(

These were 17" for a '32 Packard 900. First time we ordered they sent the correct tubes but with the 3/8" diameter rubber stems. Returned those and had a heck of a time getting the sales person to understand that we needed tubes with the larger 5/8" stems. He suggested we just put rubber grommets in the holes to take up the difference. We'd be laughed off the show field! Now we get a set with deformed stems and one that came apart in our hands. Guess I'll return all 6 and try again. I have become increasingly disappointed in this supplier over the last few years. The sales people seem to know virtually nothing about cars and very little more about tires and tubes. These tubes are natural rubber made in EEC wherever that is.

Oh yea. We also ordered a set of rim (spoke) liners for the same tires. Apparently they think a 17" wheel takes 17" diameter rim liners since that is what they sent. They suggested we just cut them, lap the ends over and rubber cement them. Is it any wonder I drink?

A fresh new (& I should add expen$ive) set of 5.60x15 Firestone skinny whitewall tires that I ordered last year from "one of the major suppliers of collector tires and tubes" turned out to be so bad that they could not be balanced. Thankfully I was able to communicate with a knowledgeable person representing said supplier, and worked out a transaction where I was able to return the crummy-quality 'Stones, and acquire a nice set of "American Classic" radials in similar size (165R15), with skinny whitewalls (not a cheap tire either), with which I've been very pleased. I have heard from other antique VW owners similarly displeased with the quality of the current-production 5.60x15 Firestones. Whoever is making them for "the major suppliers" seems to have really let quality slide...

...Whoever is making them for "the major suppliers" seems to have really let quality slide...

Might have been interesting to copy down the DOT manufacturer's code off the side wall before returning them.

My current set of tires is wearing out as rapidly as the set before that were a different brand and tread style. And the new set of tires were just as bad on balance as the older set. But even though the brand and model of tire was different, the manufacturer's code on the side wall indicated that both sets came from the same factory. :(

The actual manufacturer is now out of business (as of early last year) so I guess the next set of tires will actually be manufactured elsewhere. :)

Might have been interesting to copy down the DOT manufacturer's code off the side wall before returning them.

Wish I had done that, however they are now long-gone.

My current set of tires is wearing out as rapidly as the set before that were a different brand and tread style. And the new set of tires were just as bad on balance as the older set. But even though the brand and model of tire was different, the manufacturer's code on the side wall indicated that both sets came from the same factory. :(

The actual manufacturer is now out of business (as of early last year) so I guess the next set of tires will actually be manufactured elsewhere. :)

That's all very interesting.

So, perhaps there may be hope for another acceptable-quality set of 5.60x15 Firestones again some day....