Who Owns the PEERLESS Logo?

Guest BJM

I wouldn't mind getting a run of Peerless Polos made using the classic Peerless script and the slogan.

Anybody know if this would be some kind of infringement 80+ years after they went out fo business?

Peerless had several different logos over the years but I am not aware of anyone owning them. We have used some in the Peerless Club with no problems. The Peerless Beer name and logo is privately owned by someone in LaCrosse, Wis.

"All that the name implies"

"Peerless has always been a good car"

I have seen the Peerless script used by several different companies.

Peerless is a generic name meaning has no piers.

Not a bad idea, Bryan. I don't know what your market would be, but the logo and slogans are distinctive and might sell well. I guess you could sell them at the Peerless Motor Car Club booth at Hershey this year if you were going.

Your concern over Peerless logos, trademarks, etc. sounds like kind of a moot point. I'm not an attorney, but the Peerless Motor Car Corporation has gone through more changes than a Broadway showgirl in the last 147 years: general manufacturing as Peerless Wringer Company; adding bicycles as Peerless Manufacturing Company; auto parts for De Dion Bouton, Winton and White; "hydrocarbon voiturettes"; Peerless Motor Car Company; world record race cars; some of the best luxury cars in the world; trucks; Peerless Motor Car Corporation; Peerless Corporation; Brewing Corporation of America; Carling Brewing Company; and all the later companies that used or sold the formula, name or logo of Carling Black Label. Like the Canadian perception of American beer.............it's kind of watered down.

Like you said, it's been almost 80 years since they stopped selling cars and switched to the manufacture of a much more "profitable model" on the old assembly line. No going out of business, just rolling out barrels of beer instead of cars. As Richard Lichtfeld says in his book about Peerless -- same employees, same management, same buildings, and same stockholders.

It would be kind of like things reverting to the public domain, which is why when my wife and I were in a production of "The Christmas Carol" in 2010, no one ran up to us and said: "You guys stole that dialogue from Dickens!"

I have an idea for a Peerless shirt....but it's more along the lines of making an association between automotive genius Louis Chevrolet and Peerless....the idea being that everyone who's owned a Peerless(maybe a thousand) and everyone who's owned a Chevrolet(at least a million) might want to have one.

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a
Major additions. (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Lincoln Nebraska this week and went to a Cajun restaurant and there was a huge PEERLESS Beer globe. It must have been 3 feet diameter and I believe it must have been an original.

The PEERLESS logo design was a dead ringer to the Peerless Motor Car script, although it was straight across I believe and not at an angle

I was in Lincoln Nebraska this week and went to a Cajun restaurant and there was a huge PEERLESS Beer globe. It must have been 3 feet diameter and I believe it must have been an original.

The PEERLESS logo design was a dead ringer to the Peerless Motor Car script, although it was straight across I believe and not at an angle

And no pic? :eek:

How was the Peerless beer? :cool:

Ralph

Ralph

Well, I did not have my camera. And, I am pretty sure Peerless Beer went out of business years ago. Going back tomorrow so I will try to get a picture.

Ralph

Well, I did not have my camera. And, I am pretty sure Peerless Beer went out of business years ago. Going back tomorrow so I will try to get a picture.

Aww, I was kidding with ya, but if you're going thorough te trouble anyway... :)

Peerless beer of LaCosse went out of business in the 50's. They started brewing in 1856 and their Peerless script is very similar to that of the Peerless Motor car Company. There was another Peerless beer made out East but I do not have any info on that brewery. I have some original signs, posters, labels and glass's from the LaCrosse Peerless brewery. Peerless is a generic name and the peerless name was written with a generic type called Palace Script. This would have been one of many different style scripts that they could have used and is not copy-righted. I have seen it used other places.

Peerless was a good tasting beer, a lot like Potosi beer. They went out of business because the large breweries under cutting prices and forced many small breweries out. I guess people in the 50's wanted a cheap beer that was nationally advertised instead of a good local beer.

HEY MABLE------BLACK LABEL

Peerless was a good tasting beer, a lot like Potosi beer. They went out of business because the large breweries under cutting prices and forced many small breweries out.

Now, it's just the opposite, with a resurgence of micro brews.

• 5 months later...

Bryan,

I just found out that a company called Zazzle { www.zazzle.com/peerless_motor_company_vintage+shirts/ } sells t-shirts with the Peerless Motor Car Company logo for $26.95, plus sweatshirts($36.00), hooded sweatshirts($48.35), polo shirts($25.85) and t-shirts with a reproduced vintage color Peerless ad showing the logo and a 1910 Peerless Roadster.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)