Taking a car to Bakersfield

A friend and I will be taking one of the two cars he has for sale to the Bakersfield swap meet. The car we are bringing is a 1914 Cartercar touring. The other car is a 1913 Cartercar touring. Is there a fair amount of interest in something like these two cars at that swap meet? I have been advised that the swap meet is a good one for the nickel cars and would like to get a few other ideas about where to display the car and where to eat. We have never been to this particular swap meet so any tips would be well appreciated. Thanks. Here are two the cars. They have the same paint color on them and are completely unrestored originals. We are planning on them both running and driving by swap meet time.....1913 is the car in the two left photos.

post-37352-143138871392_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138871401_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138871422_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138871431_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I think he would want to take the cars to the Horseless Carriage Club of America tour and swap meet in bakersfield on April 12th to the 14th here is a link to the flyer. It is a good swap meet lots of early stuff.

Bakersfield Swap Meet and Tours 2011

Yes....that will be the meet in April that we are going to. Thank you to all for the information.

Been going to B'field HCCA Tour/Swap Meet for years. It's a great event. If you haven't already registered for Flea Market Spaces, you may be out of luck. I talked with a buddy that's one of the local organizers last week, and he told me that the Flea Market was sold out! I'd suggest that you go on the HCCA site and download the info to the meet. I believe that there's a phone number to call for more information, so you can get this confirmed. There are no motels right at the swap meet site (Kern County Fairgrounds, but there are many very nearby, and there are plenty of good places to eat. It's not as big as Hershey, so you don't have the problems of overpacked restaurants, etc. The host hotel, I think it's the Doubletree, does generally get sold out though. Good luck, hope to see your there.

Hi Keiser31. Nice Cartercars! I was fortunate to have trimacar inform me of a 1913 Cartercar Touring for sale in Pa. a few years back. What a neat car. If the old car Gods continue to smile upon me, and the wallet doesnt get to light, we are going to attempt the Richmond tour this fall. Are your cars up and running for California? Ok, I have to ask. What are you asking for the Cartercars?

Hi Keiser31. Nice Cartercars! I was fortunate to have trimacar inform me of a 1913 Cartercar Touring for sale in Pa. a few years back. What a neat car. If the old car Gods continue to smile upon me, and the wallet doesnt get to light, we are going to attempt the Richmond tour this fall. Are your cars up and running for California? Ok, I have to ask. What are you asking for the Cartercars?

I am trying to get the owner to get the price of the cars narrowed down and will try to post the answer to this question soon.

Even if sold out, there is ample room in the east side parking lot where cars are readily seen and have been sold. Especially if you arrive early and park during the long wait until the gates open up. There is a large amount of milling about wating,swapping and selling. Usually the gates open up around 4-5 depending on the mood of the organizers. If you arrive and have your car in that parking lot while everyone is stadning around, you will get lots of exposure and visibility, assuming you don't get a stall inside the swap field. I would suggest you arrive between 10 and noon find a spot, park and wait for the offers. I know of several cars and a ton of parts sold during the wating time over the last couple of years. In my opinion there are 3 swapmeets for prewar cars not to miss. Bakersfield, Chicasha and Hershey. By far Bakerfield is the best west of the rockies.

Brasscarguy

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my friend Bill will be taking the better of the two cars down to Bakersfield on his own. No room for me in the truck. Still uncertain as far as prices of the two cars will be. I tried to narrow it down, but never got an answer. I imagine that the price will not be known until the cars are running. I have a TON of photos for anyone who is interested in the cars.