Insurance

I just bought a 75 Olds Convertible in near excellent condition which I will drive to and from work (1 mile) and for pleasure. Do I need "antique car insurance" to cover collision/theft, or will regular car insurance cover damages and restore the car to it's current condition -- or will they just treat it as an old car worth 400 dollars? smile.gif" border="0demikarr@columbus.rr.com

Personally, I would register the car as an antique and put collector insurance on it. What will kick you there is if you list it as "driven daily to work, school etc". A collector insurer won't hear to that. They also want them garaged at night and have annual mileage limits. For the price difference between regular and collector insurance, I'll put up with the insurance BS.<P>I'm told some of the regular insurers offer agreed or stated value policies that will allow some daily use of the car, but those conditions and declarations would have to be specific to Ohio. I can almost promise you if the car is damaged you won't get the agreed value settlement.<P>Shame, too. I had a 73 Delta ragtop that I enjoyed for many years until a deer caved in the left quarter. All of a sudden I didn't love the car anymore. Having it assaulted by an animal was a bit more than I could take, but I won't get on my anti-Bambi soapbox here. Suffice to say that I'm not a hunter, but I don't think deer season is long enough in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Don't lie to the insurance company for the sake of a few, or even a few hundred bucks. <BR>If you do and you have a loss, you will find that you are uninsured. And that's not good, but it's fair. smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Guess I need to clarify- I certainly don't advocate lying to your insurer.<P>By "registering it as an antique and putting collector insurance on it" I meant the car should be used and maintained as an antique within the restrictions of your collector policy, not as a daily driver.<P>You might also check Ohio state law regarding use of vehicles licensed as antique or collectible. Here in VA we can drive an antique licensed car legally up to 250 miles from our residence, just for the sheer joy of it, in addition to the usual parade, club activity and test functions the law has always allowed. That still doesn't mean we can use them as daily transportation to work or school, and doesn't exempt the car from the insurer's requirements.<P>What gets me is I'm seeing more and more POS cars with antique or YOM plates. Cars that the owner obviously doesn't intend to restore or maintain as an antique vehicle. I admit, my Starfire looks like hell warmed over, but the condition of the other three should tell anyone that eventually I will get around to restoring that car. There's a beat-up mid 70s ElCamino running around here that clearly isn't and will never be anything more than a work truck. And he's getting the same benefit of antique plates I am.

rocketraider ~ Good clarification. I felt I knew what you meant, but was afraid someone might go off on an improper tangent. No offense meant. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

ThanX! I appreciate the comments. I don't want to limit the car to antique plates registration -- I want to drive it, but don't want to feel like I'm gambling the value of the car every time I do.null

You can insure it with a regular policy and still get the real value of the car if something happens, but you will need to pay an appraiser to value the car first and then find a company that will agree to insure it for that amount.

Terry is quite correct. I believe the insurance industry term for that kind of coverage is "Stated Value" or possibly "Agreed Value."<P>I currently have a rather nice car trailer insured on my regular modern car policy for the amount I paid for it. That is at least what it will cost to replace it now, or in the future. The premium remains constant as does the value of the trailer. Ten years from now in event of a loss I will be paid the same dollar amount as I would today.<P>That type of coverage should be available for your car. Talk with your insurance agent or company. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Just a comment from someone who deals with claims...<BR>If you have a legitimate collector car, please try to insure it as such. A regular auto policy insures a regular auto. It is generally an actual cash value (ACV) policy, but 'acv' on a collector car is open to interpretations that you may not like. Not so hard on 'antique' cars, but we run into problems on things like Fieros that are treated by the owner as a show car but are insured as a regular car. Since you aren't buying collector car coverage, if the garage burns down and takes the car with it, you'll get what a plain old Fiero was worth, not a mint condition, pristine example.<BR>Probably not the best example, but it happens to be true and from recent memory.<P>Dwight V.<BR>Insurance Adjuster<BR>Central Penna.

Dwight ~ Can you purchase regular everyday car coverage with a permanent, fixed stated value if you are willing to pay the cost? ~ hvs

I don't know, honestly. I don't sell the stuff, I just handle claims. In other words, I'm the guy you yell at when you don't get enough for your car. rolleyes.gif" border="0