Rare 1929 Chrysler to identify!

Guest Superboss

Guest Superboss

Hey there everyone...

I´m a brand new user and i posted my intro in the general discusion forum a couple of hours ago...

Im from Montevideo, Uruguay in South America and it just happen to appear for sale, a rare car.. at least rare to my knowledge...

I´m interested in picking up another car as project and if this car has any classical value and if it is in fact original, it can be a good one to take into account...

The seller claims it is a 1929 Chrysler two sit car... In my opinion it ir a roadster but if it is original, it must be some kinda race car or something different from stock...

Well... Let´s see what are your thoughts!! here are the pics! :)

THANKS!

post-83611-143138866109_thumb.jpg

post-83611-143138866112_thumb.jpg

Guest Superboss
I am not a Chrysler guy, but the car pictured seems to mid-1920s, perhaps a mix of vintage Chrysler body parts. The body, from the doors back, is likely home made.

Grandpa

Yes... that is my guess too but maybe some this is some millon dollar race car and i dont want to kill myself later! jeeje :P

Guest Superboss
It's a little bit earlier than a 1929. Can you get a clear photo of the FEDCO plate on the dashboard? The number on that will determine the year and model.

I tryed to ask the owner for more detailed pics but he is not interested in making any other effort to sell this car...

For his opinion this is a 100% original car and if that´s so, being a 2 sitted roadster he may be right...

Regardless the year, i think the first thing to know is if this is original or not... if it can be, then i arrange everything to travel over there and check everything by myself..

Chrysler never made a production model of a boattail, so it is NOT an original factory car. It may have been ordered as a chassis and a custom body added. Looks to be a 1928.

Guest Superboss

Can it be a race car body?? i find it rare that it doesnt have any bumpers either..

It also doesnt have top...

It may or may not have come with bumpers. It may have had a top as I see it has the top rest bars on the rear deck area. It would be very difficult to provide a top for that car being that it has "Brooklands" racing screens instead of a full windshield. I believe it IS a custom body and never offered as a "race car" body. The top was more than likely removed when the small racing screens were added. The dashboard has the oval shaped instrument surround, so it may be a 1927.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Superboss

Great info guys... Maybe it is a Frankesntain recently built using several cars and a good metal artist...

But certainly is not factory original as the owner says and if that is the case, then it doesnt worth the travel.... what do youthink?

Great info guys... Maybe it is a Frankesntain recently built using several cars and a good metal artist...

But certainly is not factory original as the owner says and if that is the case, then it doesnt worth the travel.... what do youthink?

Since it is so well built (from what I can see), I would still be interested in it. Just because it is not original does not make it undesirable.

• 1 month later...

Another possibility with that car; Assuming it is a '28 model, by the time it was shipped overseas, and had a custom body built and mounted, it was probably 1929 already. It may then just have been registered as a 1929 model.

Don't shrug off the car just because it does not have a production body. Before WW II Chrysler built and shipped thousands of chassis/cowl units to countries all over the world. Bodies were built in the country where the chassis was being shipped. Saved on shipping costs and impoirt duties.

If this car was such a unit the vehicle could be worth more than a factory body. The body style on the car now was referred to as a boat-tailled speedster in North America.

Bill

Toronto, ON

With only these two pictures, the car appears to be very pleasing in appearance. However it is highly NOT likely it is original. There were very few coachbuilding firms in South America; none noteworthiy in this time period for American chassis. There are many faux race cars built in S. America on old US chassis because the original sedan body deteriorated and that new construction is usually done with aluminum but full fenderless monoposto race car treatments. Considering that, pursue the car but do NOT pay too much money for it. It is likely a one-off with no documentation; bottom line a custom car to suit the builder.