1919 Dodge Brothers Convertible Coupe question

Guest brian j

Guest brian j

Hi. I recently picked up an old advertisement that shows a 1919 Dodge Brothers Convertible Coupe in the picture. The car pictured in the advertisement has a spare wheel mounted to the rear of the car.......with no tire on it, and no wheel lock ring installed. When i received my coupe it came exactly like the picture.....no tire or lock ring. What gives? I there a reason you would want to travel around with no mounted tire on the back? This is probably a greenhorn question, but it doesn't make sense to me that if you had a flat in the day, you wouldn't want to be ready-to-go with a spare. By the way i'm looking to buy a lock ring for this 25 inch wire wheel so i can run with a tire mounted.....unless it would be some kind of a faux pas to do so. Anyone have one for sale? Regards.

post-31587-143138863791_thumb.jpg

I tihnk the spare tire/tube would have been an add-on cost at the time. Several have posted original sales receipts that showed that the dealer only included a used tire if the buyer included that in the sale. Maybe the car came with the hub and it was up to the buyer to neg. the extra tire?