FOR SALE: 49 2DOOR DESOTO CUSTOM COUPE

Guest chadeastin

Guest chadeastin

Year: 1949

Make: DESOTO

Model: 2 DOOR CUSTOM COUPE

Price/Description: I am not sure what to price this at..... it is all original and complete minus a front bumper and window visor. You will have to see the link for pictures. There is a fair amount of rust in the trunk, other than that only what is typical for a car this old. I do not have a title or tag... it was out in a farmers field when I rescued it. I started the restoration, but only got the trany done. I have too many projects and need to cut down on them. I am willing to deliver within 200 miles of Enid OK for the right price.

Location (Enid OK, USA)

Contact Information (Chad Eastin, 580-231-0411, chadeastin@yahoo.com)

post-63534-143138864633_thumb.jpg

post-63534-143138864637_thumb.jpg

post-63534-14313886464_thumb.jpg

post-63534-143138864642_thumb.jpg

post-63534-143138864644_thumb.jpg

post-63534-143138864646_thumb.jpg

post-63534-143138864648_thumb.jpg

post-63534-14313886465_thumb.jpg

Edited by chadeastin (see edit history)

Guest chadeastin

even if you arent interested in buying.... please chime in at what you feel would be a fair price.... Even if I dont sell it on here I will sell it elsewhere and would like to have something to base my price on. I really appreciate any advice....

Regarding price and desirability. I own a 49 Chrysler New Yorker Club coupe and have a general, strong interest in 1949-50 Chryslers and DeSotos. Keiser31 and others are more expert then I but I monitor prices a lot.

This is at best a $750 car in my opinion. I purchased my 8 cylinder original condition complete New Yorker for $1500.

The 2 things you were honest about is the trunk rust, which is to be expected and the long outside storage issue.

Now, if you do an Internet/Jaxed search for what others are asking for post war full-on project cars (incl ebay) you will see prices for similar cars from $2000 to $4000 but the turnover doesn't happen. I don't know anybody restoring cars anymore. All the flush with money baby boomers want completed muscle car or specialty car restorations and the market for late 40's Mopar club coupe is super-soft.

There is a beautiful original 49 DeSoto club coupe offered for sale through Goldenrod Garage in Maine for I think $14,500. It is nice, never restored original.

It would take double that and more to restore your car so serious old Mopar restorers of which there are few if any doing them - will want to start with a low purchase price to justify the thousands they would spend to restore a car that ultimately has a top side of $14,000 to $20,000 at the most.

$750.

And I doubt that the ubiquitous "rat rodders" crowd are interested, but maybe. I have seen a few DeSoto club coupe projects that get a sub frame welded in then the owner loses interest.

I personally have been looking for a companion car for my 49 Chrysler Club coupe and have been looking for a 49 DeSoto club coupe so that is what drew me to your post. They are a fantastic car, well styled with a great looking dash.

Guest chadeastin

Thank you for your honesty, that is actually what I was thinking on the price.... around 7 or 8 hundred. I am thinking about trying to part it out..... I hate to, but I can probably get about 400 out of scrap metal.

I used to think I had to save everyone too, but the hobby is way different then just a few years ago. I have 7 old vehicles, none restored, saved at least 5 of them from being parted or crushed or never restored.

So you need to do what you need to do. If you part it out and some parts end up with people that need them and you crush the rest, then that's better then letting it sit in a field for another 10 years or so.

Guest chadeastin

You make an very good point, I figured I would give it a shot at least!

I used to think I had to save everyone too, but the hobby is way different then just a few years ago. I have 7 old vehicles, none restored, saved at least 5 of them from being parted or crushed or never restored.

So you need to do what you need to do. If you part it out and some parts end up with people that need them and you crush the rest, then that's better then letting it sit in a field for another 10 years or so.