My 65 Gran Sport Engine

Guest rsmalling

Congratulations :-)

You should celebrate it with the boys ... a little

EDIT: is it a dust from the floor sucked by cooling fan at 1:38 ? Looks like ... :-(

As you have no filter at the carbs, I would clean the floor first and then wet it.

Love last seconds of the movie - it says all :-)

Edited by buick-riviera.pl (see edit history)

Guest rsmalling
Congratulations :-)

You should celebrate it with the boys ... a little

EDIT: is it a dust from the floor sucked by cooling fan at 1:38 ? Looks like ... :-(

As you have no filter at the carbs, I would clean the floor first and then wet it.

Love last seconds of the movie - it says all :-)

That is water vapor. I had hosed the radiator off just before installing it today as it was dusty from sitting. I wanted to hook up the trans cooler lines and just crank the engine and get fuel to the carbs, and run a few electrical chks, and after that I said roll the camera, lets see if this thing will light off and run for a few seconds. Got the new hoses today and installed so tomorrow will be the cam break in and then dump the break in oil and retorque the heads and what not. Thanks for the kind words!

rls

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that is one sweet job. Im in the middle of doing my engine compartment. Unfortunately, its not gonna be as nice as yours. I dont have air paint gun experience. I plan on using rattle cans. But I wanna do the satin black also. Is all your black a satin black??? If so it looks so much nicer than i thought.

Guest rsmalling
Wow that is one sweet job. Im in the middle of doing my engine compartment. Unfortunately, its not gonna be as nice as yours. I dont have air paint gun experience. I plan on using rattle cans. But I wanna do the satin black also. Is all your black a satin black??? If so it looks so much nicer than i thought.

Thanks man,

You know what is really a good looking satin black paint is Rustolium Satin black. I used the rattle cans on my gas tank and in some other areas as well. just do the prep as well as you can, prime it and the cans work well. its all in the time spent with the prep.

Yes, the Rustoleum 7777 is a very nice looking Satin Black. You can also get it in quart form from Home Depot, ect. I've used it quite a bit, and am using it on my current project. My advice is to get a $50.00 Harbor Freight Spray gun, follow the directions on the can of paint on how to spray it, and give it a whirl. The MOST important step is the prep. Make sure everything is dirt and grease free. Then scratch the surface with 320 Sandpaper so the paint can adhere. One note on the 7777 paint. It does take a long time for it to dry to touch (overnight), and it takes about a month for it to totally cure. So, for the first month, handle the pieces and parts with extra care.

Thanks man,

You know what is really a good looking satin black paint is Rustolium Satin black. I used the rattle cans on my gas tank and in some other areas as well. just do the prep as well as you can, prime it and the cans work well. its all in the time spent with the prep.

I am really glad you said that lol. Someone here suggested Krylon & all I've been able to find it Rustoleum lol. I will go with your suggestion & use Rustoleum thank u. Also, u mentioned primer? I saw u did the red primer in your pic's. It that the Rustoleum "rusty metal" primer?

Get this…I was told to use oven cleaner (easy off) to strip paint, rust, grease & oils a couple times depending how dirty it is. Wash off with soap & water. Then straight paint over the metal with no sanding or primer. This old friend has followed that process on cars he builds with great results. I've seen some of his work. But now I've seen yours. I am little pressed for time but like your suggestion.

Guest rsmalling
I am really glad you said that lol. Someone here suggested Krylon & all I've been able to find it Rustoleum lol. I will go with your suggestion & use Rustoleum thank u. Also, u mentioned primer? I saw u did the red primer in your pic's. It that the Rustoleum "rusty metal" primer?

Get this…I was told to use oven cleaner (easy off) to strip paint, rust, grease & oils a couple times depending how dirty it is. Wash off with soap & water. Then straight paint over the metal with no sanding or primer. This old friend has followed that process on cars he builds with great results. I've seen some of his work. But now I've seen yours. I am little pressed for time but like your suggestion.

Im kinda set in my old fashioned ways, :rolleyes: what I did is Foamy Gunk and wire brush, pressure wash it, repeat as needed, let it dry, then just get down and dirty with the sand paper and scotch brite pads. I never tried the oven spray.

Rob J has great advice on the cheap spray gun and then use the quarts. I just painted one of my old lifts with the quarts and spray gun.

Edited by rsmalling
cant spell (see edit history)

Yes, the Rustoleum 7777 is a very nice looking Satin Black. You can also get it in quart form from Home Depot, ect. I've used it quite a bit, and am using it on my current project. My advice is to get a $50.00 Harbor Freight Spray gun, follow the directions on the can of paint on how to spray it, and give it a whirl. The MOST important step is the prep. Make sure everything is dirt and grease free. Then scratch the surface with 320 Sandpaper so the paint can adhere. One note on the 7777 paint. It does take a long time for it to dry to touch (overnight), and it takes about a month for it to totally cure. So, for the first month, handle the pieces and parts with extra care.

Awesome thank you too. So is the number 7777 actually on the rattle can label? I am all for the spray gun option cuz I'm sure it lays out a lot nicer. But here is one prob I found wish my cheapy Craftsmen 20 gallon air compressor. I found it sucks for use with any tools which require repeated trigger pulls. For example, bought a die grinder with a cutting wheel on it to cut my heater core out thru the firewall (I can tell some of u are cringing :)). As I started to cut my compressor couldnt keep up. So I think I would end up with a worst paint job than with rattle cans if my compressor causes the spray gun to spit & splatter paint due to inconsistant air pressures. What do u think?

Also, being on a time crunch to get this done before my engine comes home. Will the 7777 dry faster out of a rattle can or out of a spray gun? Or does it matter??

Yes, the spray cans, and the quarts have 7777 right on the back label. You can't miss it. Regarding the air compressor, I hear you on that one. I just ordered a new Qunicy 5HP 2 stage 80 gallon compressor for my home shop mainly to be used with a blast cabinet. It's being delivered tomorrow. But, with that said, I had no issues priming and painting my chassis with my current 1.6HP 25 gallon Sears unit. I think for painting your engine compartment, you'll be ok with the current compressor you have and a HVLP gun. But, here's a quick, easy fix if you want more air supply on a budget. Go on Craigslist, and find a used compressor. You only want this compressor for the tank. Find a 30-40 gallon unit, and plumb just that tank to your current unit. Now you have tripled the storage capacity with little cost. For what you need to do, this should be more than sufficient. I would suggest a water separator to be installed inline on the air output of the compressor. Drying time of rattle can and quart are the same, no difference.

Priming and painting my frame with only my Sears 25 gallon compressor, and a Harbor Freight $50.00 HVLP gun. Results were great.

DSCN3702.jpg

DSCN3718.jpg

DSCN3715.jpg

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Yes, the spray cans, and the quarts have 7777 right on the back label. You can't miss it. Regarding the air compressor, I hear you on that one. I just ordered a new Qunicy 5HP 2 stage 80 gallon compressor for my home shop mainly to be used with a blast cabinet. It's being delivered tomorrow. But, with that said, I had no issues priming and painting my chassis with my current 1.6HP 25 gallon Sears unit. I think for painting your engine compartment, you'll be ok with the current compressor you have and a HVLP gun. But, here's a quick, easy fix if you want more air supply on a budget. Go on Craigslist, and find a used compressor. You only want this compressor for the tank. Find a 30-40 gallon unit, and plumb just that tank to your current unit. Now you have tripled the storage capacity with little cost. For what you need to do, this should be more than sufficient. I would suggest a water separator to be installed inline on the air output of the compressor. Drying time of rattle can and quart are the same, no difference.

Priming and painting my frame with only my Sears 25 gallon compressor, and a Harbor Freight $50.00 HVLP gun. Results were great.

DSCN3702.jpg

DSCN3718.jpg

DSCN3715.jpg

Wow that looks soooo nice! You think my 20 gallon compressor might do the job huh? That is if I cant find a bigger tank…

I'll have to get the water separator too

Im kinda set in my old fashioned ways, :rolleyes: what I did is Foamy Gunk and wire brush, pressure wash it, repeat as needed, let it dry, then just get down and dirty with the sand paper and scotch brite pads. I never tried the oven spray.

Rob J has great advice on the cheap spray gun and then use the quarts. I just painted one of my old lifts with the quarts and spray gun.

sorry for asking twice, not sure if u replied yet, i've been at work checking back to the forum on my iphone lol but i am still wondering about the primer i should use. I've heard about Rustoleum primer "for rusty metal" but has anyone have any feedback on that product?

I'd recommend an epoxy primer. Dries hard as a rock, and does a fantastic job of protecting the metal from future rust. In my photo's above, the gray is epoxy primer from Eastwood. You can also get it in black as well if you prefer. With epoxy primer, the metal needs to be clean and free of rust.

I am probably gonna have to stick to my original game plan and rattle can the job. I am running out of funds quickly due to the season (XMas)...if mama finds out it how much is going out its gonna be "operation terminated" for me ;)

I am probably gonna have to stick to my original game plan and rattle can the job. I am running out of funds quickly due to the season (XMas)...if mama finds out it how much is going out its gonna be "operation terminated" for me ;)

I used two coats of brush-on 7777 on a 67 Riv frame after wire wheeling, scraping, and wiping down. I didn't even use primer. It held up exceptionally well over the 17 years I owned the car. Never peeled of lifted. The brush strokes kind of fade away after it goes on if you use a quality brush. There are still some but they are typically difficult to see since its dark under the car and become a non-issue IMO. Brushing the 7777 on gives you a thicker more durable finish so if you aren't concerned about a concourse level finish, consider that.

I'd recommend an epoxy primer. Dries hard as a rock, and does a fantastic job of protecting the metal from future rust. In my photo's above, the gray is epoxy primer from Eastwood. You can also get it in black as well if you prefer. With epoxy primer, the metal needs to be clean and free of rust.

Can I that epoxy primer our local jobbers in rattle cans? Or is that a spray gun option thru Eastwood & others only?

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered a new Qunicy 5HP 2 stage 80 gallon compressor for my home shop mainly to be used with a blast cabinet. It's being delivered tomorrow.

How's the new compressor working out? I am looking at this blast cabinet:

Abrasive Blast Cabinet

Will my 1.5 HP 20 gallon 3.8 scfm @ 90 psi work with this cabinet? Or am i setting my hopes up too high?

Drying time of rattle can and quart are the same, no difference.

Can setting up heat lamps speed up drying time? I sprayed a one foot section of the upper radiator core support out of a rattle can about a week ago and it still feels tacky. Not too happy about that

I have my eye on this HVLP gun from Harbor Freight:

HVLP Spray Gun Kit

Reviews say good things. Whats your opinion on this one? Thanks for your help

these are just my opinions-i think if you move up to the next size blasting cabinet youll be able to do bigger pieces-youll kill the smaller compressor blasting it wont keep up-as far as the gun goes your not upgrading-guns are like your compressor(you got a good one)it depends on how much use and how far your wanting get into painting-you can spend as much as 700-800 on a top of the line sata.id put a heat lamp on radiator and get it dry and respray with a better product.as far as heat lamps go there good for small parts but you shouldnt need them unless you get into waterborn systems.also get a good regulator and moisture seperator.good luck...t.nugent roa 12969.

Dave, two weeks ago I just installed a new Qunicy Compressor. 5HP, 2 Stage 60 gallon. I got it from Northern Tool. I also have a Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet, but the larger Floor standing model. It is worth the $100.00 more. I had an older smaller cabinet, and it just didn't cut it. Oh, and forget about running a blast cabinet with your current compressor. Been there, done that. I can't believe I didn't get a new compressor sooner. This thing is a beast!!!! It has no issues in delivering me a constant stream of 90psi of air to the cabinet. It will actually catch up, and shut off. Honestly, I don't think you need the 80 gallon Qunicy. I am such a happy camper now with this new compressor. With the Christmas break, I've been doing a lot of blasting this past week. I'm loving it!!!!

One thing that is important. I followed the guide on TP Tools website on how to set up, and plump your air lines properly. This is very important, as you need dry air as well. Use black iron pipe with risers, and a water separator. The last thing you want is moist air going to your cabinet, clogging up the gun. Ask me how I know.

Oh, and get a blast cabinet Vac. A must have. I got a unit from TP Tools, which I'll list below.

Here's a pic of my new compressor.

DSCN3886.jpg

This is the one I bought.

FREE SHIPPING — Quincy Compressor Reciprocating Air Compressor — 5 HP, 230 Volt Single Phase, Model# 2V41C60VC | 19 CFM Below| Northern Tool + Equipment

My blast cabinet

40 Lb. Capacity Floor Blast Cabinet

Blast Cabinet Vac

VAC-40 High-Efficiency Vacuum - TP Tools & Equipment

The least expensive item I have is the cabinet, but so far (had it two years) it has performed well. I figure if it craps out, I'll get a better one from TP Tools later on.

Hope this helps. Rob

I just ordered a new Qunicy 5HP 2 stage 80 gallon compressor for my home shop mainly to be used with a blast cabinet. It's being delivered tomorrow.

How's the new compressor working out? I am looking at this blast cabinet:

Abrasive Blast Cabinet

Will my 1.5 HP 20 gallon 3.8 scfm @ 90 psi work with this cabinet? Or am i setting my hopes up too high?

Drying time of rattle can and quart are the same, no difference.

Can setting up heat lamps speed up drying time? I sprayed a one foot section of the upper radiator core support out of a rattle can about a week ago and it still feels tacky. Not too happy about that

I have my eye on this HVLP gun from Harbor Freight:

HVLP Spray Gun Kit

Reviews say good things. Whats your opinion on this one? Thanks for your help

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest rsmalling

Okay,

Im done with this phase of events on the Rivi! Runs great, looks good, everything works including AC, Guidematic, Cruise, vac trunk and power seats and ant. Next phase will be the rear end suspension bushing and complete exhaust. Not sure when I will start that.

Here are some pics:

post-76092-143141774648_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, best part, no leaks!:cool: So this will be it from me on this thread. Thanks to all who posted and helped me out, and I hope some of this will help others.

Rob Smalling

post-76092-143141774573_thumb.jpg

post-76092-14314177459_thumb.jpg

post-76092-143141774605_thumb.jpg

post-76092-143141774619_thumb.jpg

post-76092-143141774634_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob J

Looks great Rob!!! You've put a lot of work into it the last year, and it shows.

BTW, you gotta put in some OEM style seat covers from Clark's. Please. :cool:

Guest rsmalling
Looks great Rob!!! You've put a lot of work into it the last year, and it shows.

BTW, you gotta put in some OEM style seat covers from Clark's. Please. :cool:

Thanks Buddy! I cant do the Clarks man, Im all tapped out of money now! :P Im having fun with it tho, at least now I can drive it. Been getting a lot of thumbs up when I take it out. Where did you get the bushing for the rear suspension? cars or rare parts?

Guest Rob J

Got mine direct from Rare Parts. Be prepared to open up your wallet. They are not cheap, but as far as I know, they are the only ones making them. I hear ya on the being tapped out part. These are not cheap cars to restore, especially if done the correct way.

Are you going with Waldron's for the exhaust?

Guest rsmalling
Got mine direct from Rare Parts. Be prepared to open up your wallet. They are not cheap, but as far as I know, they are the only ones making them. I hear ya on the being tapped out part. These are not cheap cars to restore, especially if done the correct way.

Are you going with Waldron's for the exhaust?

Rob,

Waldron's seems to be good from what I understand so I most likely will give them a shot at it. wonder if they ever got the hangers made up for the rivi's?

Guest Rob J

I have OEM hangers that I was supposed to send to them so they could replicate them. As the slacker that I am at times, I haven't sent them in yet. I need to do so...:eek:

Guest rsmalling
I have OEM hangers that I was supposed to send to them so they could replicate them. As the slacker that I am at times, I haven't sent them in yet. I need to do so...:eek:

Send em in :P I need to buy a set! LoL otherwise Ill have to use universal hangers! it will all happen in good time. I was looking at those bushings from rare parts, you are right, they dont give those suckers away! looks like a $500 note, Lord have mercy.