My 65 Gran Sport Engine

Guest rsmalling

Guest rsmalling

Now that you guys and this forum have inspired me, my next plan is to rebuild my GS's engine. Right now Im getting the engine ready to pull. I snapped some shots of the engine codes. Does anyone know what the #'s after the LX means?

65riviEngineJob001.jpg65riviEngineJob001.jpg

a%3EThis shot is of the cam oil groove. It's a bit over .100 wide so from what Ive read, if its the original cam than its not the most desirable cam. But I will know more after I get it out.

65riviEngineJob004.jpgThought some of you would like to see some of this

65riviEngineJob003.jpgThat head bolt with the spacer is there because I had to remove the head bolt to get the ac/alt mount out. So I used the nut as a spacer and torqued the bolt back down. Probably could have left it out. :rolleyes:

65riviEngineJob001.jpg

Rob,

The 3 digit number is an approximate production sequence code. Perhaps someone else can clarify in more detail.

I'm not sure I understand your comment on the cam oil groove. I'm thinking you may have that groove confused with the groove in the cam casting right next to "center" bearing journal that indicates an original 65/66 dual quad camshaft.

Here is a pic of the groove on my 66 2x4 cam.

post-50687-143138861136_thumb.jpg

Guest rsmalling

Here are the casting #'s and groove on my Cam. Looks like it's still the original cam. the lower numbers are different from yours Jason. What do the #'s mean? Thanks for any and all input!

65riviEngineJob007.jpg

Attached is a scanned page from an old Riview. It details all of the specs for nailhead cams. Perhaps this will help you some. As you can see, the number on the shaft doesn't necessarily tell you exactly what cam you have. But if you use a combination of shaft numbers and groove widths, you can perhaps figure out which cam you have. Hope this helps. Make sure you read Dennis Manners response as well as looking at the specs.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Nice Pics! You must have a good camera.

It looks like your groove is about 1/16". Is that about right? Mine is about 3/32 wide or about .090 which is a variance from Denny Manners info of .120 that Ed posted above. I think regardless of the width of the groove whats most important is that its there which designates the 2x4 profile which we know the 63 shared.

Kinda looks like the cast in numbers could be the same on both. As you can see from looking at the Denny's chart, the 1362241 number doesn't indicate the dual quad grind specifically but is relevant to the same base casting being used for the 2x4 and standard grind profiles

By the way, what is the build date on your car?

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest rsmalling
Attached is a scanned page from an old Riview. It details all of the specs for nailhead cams. Perhaps this will help you some. As you can see, the number on the shaft doesn't necessarily tell you exactly what cam you have. But if you use a combination of shaft numbers and groove widths, you can perhaps figure out which cam you have. Hope this helps. Make sure you read Dennis Manners response as well as looking at the specs.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

this is good stuff on the Buick Cams. Very interesting.

Guest rsmalling

Right on Jason, Ill chk it out tomorrow.

Pulled the engine today and broke it down. All the bearings and pistons were the original parts, it had what looked to be the standard steel head gaskets, bore is standard and very little ridge. The only thing I didn't expect to see was the last four rods were stamped (5,6,7,8) on the caps and the rods and the #8 piston was knurled. Once again all Buick part #'s inside the pistons and "Buick" cast inside as well. At some point something must have happened and work was done on #8. Any thoughts on this you guys want to through out would be interesting. But at any rate something was causing them to go after #8. Ive had the car since the late 80s and it's been a great running car.

One thing though, when I first bought the car, it had a dead #3 cyl. pulled the valve cover and #3 exhaust rocker arm was broken in half, the push rod was bent and lifter was still in the bore. So I just wanted to see what I had, I replaced the lifter, rocker arm and pushrod. Its been running fine ever since. That lobe is starting to round. Ill gets some photos up of the piston knurling and other action shots tomorrow.

got it to the machine shop today. So the process has begun. :eek:

Guest Rob J

Make sure you post up some pics. You know the rules. No pics, didn't happen.

Got my engine on the stand last night, and begun tearing it down myself as well. Trying to find a good machine shop now. That's not easy here in scammer land South Florida.:eek: Wish me luck.

Piston is knurled to increase its diameter to make up for a sloppy fit in the bore. This was done back in the day as a low cost alternative to replacing pistons. No one does it anymore. The knurled piston along with no or little ridge in the cylinders indicates to me your motor may have been re-ringed with a ridge cut and honing performed. Mic the cylinder bores and their dimension will tell the story.

Your broken rocker and bent pushrod was due to running bad gas thru the motor after prolonged storage. The bad gas causes the valve to stick in the guide and the pushrod and rocker are the weak links in the valvetrain.

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Guest rsmalling

Thanks Tom,

Makes good sense to me on the rocker arm situation, and the knurling, It just seems like more than one piston would have needed to be knurled, but who knows, maybe they just went in and did the bare minimums. Thanks for your input! Its like being a CSI!

Edited by rsmalling
spelling (see edit history)

I go out for breakfast once in awhile with a retired tech who worked at a Buick Dealer for 30 years when these cars were new. I was asking detailed questions about the frequency of 60s nailhead and 430 engine failures that would occur very early on in its life and/or while the car was still under warranty.....which wasn't very long back then. He said failures were common and initially when there was a problem with the lower rotating assembly, Buick would sometimes supply a short block as the repair but that didn't last long due to the volume of replacements which brought cost into it.

He said it became very common to salvage whatever parts they could and only replace what was absolutely not repairable. He said because of this, the techs were forced to be real "mechanics" in the deepest sense of the word vs more of a parts changer. He said the factory was a bit sloppy when it came to quality control holding clearances consistently in spec.

Of course he has seen some of these engines go for 150k plus miles and explained part of the reason is because that engine was lucky enough to have been assembled to spec as well received quality castings for pistons, rods, block, etc.

That kind of supports what you are seeing in your engine.

Rob,

There is a good possibility the hole with the knurled piston required extra honing due to a broken ring which can leave a deep, deep scratch in no time. Also, I have found the rear cylinders tend to show more wear and especially on dual quad engines. I have not done a statistical analysis but my theory is that raw fuel (think cold start and choked engine) tends to flow toward the rear cylinders diluting the oil film on the cylinder walls so wear is accelerated. I`m sure others will disagree but I have seen that situation enough times to at least raise questions.

I`m doing a dual quad Nailhead now, .005 to .007 wear on most cylinders except the driver`s side rear which is at .016. One of the rings was broken in that cylinder. Car only has 63K original miles, ran as smooth as any Nailhead I have ever owned, but showed a little too much blowby under load and would use oil at highway speeds. Almost couldn`t bring myself to tear it down. There was a choke issue when I bought it so the engine was probably running too rich most of the time. Another pooch,

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Guest rsmalling

Tom,

I like your theory on fuel washing the rear cylinders causing excessive wear. Makes real world sense. And for sure if the choke isnt coming off or is stuck, can cause a real bad scene.

Yeah mine was a good runner too, never used any oil, but all the rings were intact. I just knew about my patch job with the lifter, rocker arm situation I did in the late 80s that I was on borrowed time with cam wear. Plus I know I will enjoy the car a lot more with a fresh Mill.

My distributor drive gear was really bad off, knife edged and actually coming apart! Any ideas on why that was happening? I inspected the cam gear, and it shows no signs of wear. the dist drive must be a softer material.

Dist drive update:

As stated earlier in this thread, when I first got the car the the rocker arm, push rod, lifter, I just remembered that the guts of the lifter were also shot out of the lifter, so the plunger, spring or clip got tangled up with the dist drive gear and most certainly caused the damage to the drive gear.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by rsmalling
dist drive update (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rsmalling

While waiting for the machine work to happen Ive started working on prepping the engine compartment for paint. Luckily my car wasn't a real leaker, but I still spent a lot of time degreasing. Im also going to shoot the outer fender wells and A arms and as much of the frame going back while I have the devilbiss fired up. I found a chassis black 1 stage urethane satin finish that should be close enough color wise. Once I have the engine job phase done and dialed in, I plan on my next phase to continue with the undercarriage sanding, priming and painting. I dont have any cancerous rust, but I do have some surface rust starting on the undersides of the floor pan in spots. After that it will be time to address the rear suspension bushings and then the complete exhaust system. Pictures to follow as progress continues.:P

Edited by rsmalling
poor spelling (see edit history)

Just had to throw something in that I had heard from a guy in my town. He saw my '64 at a gas station and stopped to talk. He has a 65' that had been a dual quad car. It was mostly used by his late wife and the engine was replaced with a later model 430 at a pretty low over all mileage. He was told by the dealer that his wife's short trips to work caused the engine's demise due to not "fully warming up". Maybe another reference to excess raw gas causing premature wear in the rear cylinders

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rsmalling
While waiting for the machine work to happen Ive started working on prepping the engine compartment for paint. Luckily my car wasn't a real leaker, but I still spent a lot of time degreasing. Im also going to shoot the outer fender wells and A arms and as much of the frame going back while I have the devilbiss fired up. I found a chassis black 1 stage urethane satin finish that should be close enough color wise. Once I have the engine job phase done and dialed in, I plan on my next phase to continue with the undercarriage sanding, priming and painting. I dont have any cancerous rust, but I do have some surface rust starting on the undersides of the floor pan in spots. After that it will be time to address the rear suspension bushings and then the complete exhaust system. Pictures to follow as progress continues.:P

Hear are all the photos of the mask and paint (view as a slide show):

Prep and Paint of 65 Rivi Engine Compartment pictures by rsmalling - Photobucket

PaintEnginecompartment65Rivi003.jpg

Guest rsmalling

Rob,

I got it online in a 1 quart Kit to see how I liked it.

Item Detail

And I was sweating bullets to get everything shot with 1 quart (but It mixed to 1.5 qts) I think if I keep doing this I will pop for a modern gravity feed gun, less over spray and lower pressure= better coverage.

Guest rsmalling

Mitch,

Yeah, on removing the clip, I probably should have, but my thinking or lack thereof was to just scuff up the engine compartment and paint it while the engine was out, then I got totally into the AC system, replacing all the lines, hoses and zeroing out that part of it, then I figured while painting the engine compartment just go ahead and shoot the wheel wells at the same time.

It gets to a point of how far do I want go.... So, I just got busy prepping and never really thought about just pulling the clip. Would have made the prep much easier, but I took a lot of time and am happy with results so far.

Jason and Rob J, Thanks guys!

Guest rsmalling

Ed,

You are right, mine was working ok, but I pulled it and am taking it in to get it checked out. Thats a Hell of a place for the wiper motor!:D

Ive never had good luck with the GM W/S washer pump kits. whats the best solution on the washer pump?

I appreciate all of you guys keeping an eye on me!

Where can I get the Grommets for the cruise control diaphram to firewall mounts? and also the evap drain tube grommets in the firewall?

Thanks

I haven't tried them yet (they're on one of my shelves) but I'm going to try to adapt a pump from a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee like I once had. The pump is a continuous pressure pump (not a pulse pump) that mounts on the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir. I'll have to enlarge the hole in the reservoir some so it will fit, then a nut from the inside holds it in place. It's the pick up for the fluid as well and there's a small electric pump built into it. As long as you apply 12 volts to it through a switch (the button on your wiper switch; the lever on the Jeep) the pump will push water through it. I don't know if the hoses are the same diameter where they connect to the reservoir, but an adapter could easily take care of that. I'll have to run the pump wire out to the reservoir, but that shouldn't be any problem either. Because the washer isn't mounted to the body, I'll also have to run a ground wire to it. If you're thinking about doing something similar, make sure that you get the pigtail from the donor car's wiring harness. It's a sealed connection and a simple terminal connector won't work.

Ed

• 2 months later...
Guest rsmalling
Guest Killerbunny

look great...

<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:cool:

• 1 month later...
Guest rsmalling

Okay, I have a couple more photos. Didnt want you guys to think I gave up and hauled off :rolleyes:my Rivi! Ive been busy with it, but a lot of my time is starting to go to the engine. Im trying to do as many of the little things during engine assembly as I can that will help it out. Anyway, took these this morning:

post-76092-143139129052_thumb.jpg

post-76092-143139129025_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest rsmalling

Thanks Jason,

Yes, my two stepsons are a force for sure! We all had a good time yesterday stabbing the engine, they had never done anything like that before. Looking forward to lighting it off soon.

post-76092-143139266822_thumb.jpg

post-76092-143139266836_thumb.jpg

Guest rsmalling

Right on guys!

Yeah Rob, Ive been thinking of getting it on vid from the first Crank up. Ill see what I can do. Im going to run it up and break in the cam then shut it down and retorque the heads, intake and exhaust manifolds.

yeah Chris, just keep pluggin away, I just try to something everyday and it gets done. I pulled my mill in Feb, and here I am, one thing led to another... I kept finding things I needed to address, But its all good, its a great car that is finally getting some tlc. :cool:

post-76092-143139268548_thumb.jpg

post-76092-143139268563_thumb.jpg