Project 65 Rivy, A Step by Step Journal

Guest Rob J

Thanks for the comment Winston. Unfortunate reality is there are many things life can throw at us during a restoration and often they are higher priority than a car project. What would keep me awake at night was that when the car is in a 1000 pieces its value is a fraction of what it was even before starting and I just kept dumping money into it while its value really doesn't change much until its complete. Body and paint-prison is probably the heaviest straw breaking camels back for many. Restoration projects are supposed to fun but often they can be frustrating and downright deflating because of many challenges and surprises in the process. This can cause people to take a break from it which can turn into months and years increasing likelihood of new road blocks and never getting back to it. It is difficult for the human mind to foresee the mental and financial challenges that lie ahead before taking a car apart. Especially a complex car like the Riviera where spare parts require persistency to locate and sometimes are very expensive. Sometimes, people's interests just change and they want to move on despite the monetary losses. For these reasons its not uncommon to see so many basket case projects.

I could have simplified and just said all that in two words "shh it happens!"

As far as keeping wife during process, some may forget but I built a taj mahal two level bank barn for wife during the resto process which actually took way more hours than the 900 spent on the car. I have an understanding wife who likes cars but am sure the barn helped! Balance!

As for the OP, its been awhile but as I recall he bought a Porsche 911 and it was around same time updates stopped. Maybe he moved on to other interests. I noticed his last activity was about 2.5 years ago.

• Like 1

As I continue, albeit slowly, to work on my three cars, I keep Linda from doing something drastic by keeping a Riviera that we call hers.  For the last three meets we've attended, two with a '93 and two with a '90, she's been awarded three Class Winner plaques and one Best in Class plaque.  I was lucky enough to find a couple of cars that were in good shape and priced fairly.  They don't require much time and money but she's well rewarded.  She's part of the process.  She's happy, I'm happy. 

Ed

4 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Maybe he moved on to other interests. I noticed his last activity was about 2.5 years ago.

For what it's worth, a number of years ago, I was following similar escapades (albeit an early '60's Pontiac) of a cousin of a friend of a friend, or something like that... apparently a good family man, nice house, lotsa toys, the whole nine yards, one day he simply passed away... never did hear what ever happened to the poncho parts....

While I'm here, when I die, I hope to go out like my grandfather...painlessly in a peaceful and quiet slumber, I hope I don't die in a screaming fit of terror while going over a cliff like his passengers did...

Sorry, couldn't resist the oldie...?)

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

---

• Haha 1

All good points. I’m always looking for one of those stalled projects. 

I’m happy the OP at least spelled  Rivy correctly with a “Y” and not Rivi with an “I”.

Its Rivy or Rivie. 

Sorry, just one of my teacher OCD pet peeves. ?