Rob J

Project 65 Rivy, A Step by Step Journal

A bit more progress. Been a bit slow progressing the last month or so due to work, kids, ect. But, there has been some progress.

Chassis is coming along. All new rear control arm bushings from Rare Parts installed, new springs from Coil Spring Specialties, new shocks from CARS, new Track bar bushings from Classic Buicks. New Brake lines from Inline Tube. Every part was taken completely apart, blasted, repainted with Eastwood Chassis Black, and reinstalled.

2002-12-31230000-384.jpg

2002-12-31230000-385.jpg

2002-12-31230000-387.jpg

2002-12-31230000-406.jpg

2002-12-31230000-410.jpg

Transmission Case stripped, cleaned, and painted with Eastwood Alum-Blast

2002-12-31230000-394.jpg

2002-12-31230000-393.jpg

Transmission rebuilt and back from AAMCO

2002-12-31230000-411.jpg

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Very Very Cool RobJ! You are doing a fine Job on your 65! I need you to come out here and do all my rear bushings! :cool:

I hear ya on having a slow down in production, its hard having a life and bringing a Rivi back to life at the same time! You have it going on man!

Cant wait til you get this updated so I can see how close I am to catching you ;) I should be painting frame this week.

Chris, will get some updates soon. Since the summer is so hot and humid here in Miami, and I was extremely busy work wise, progress was a bit slow this summer. Engine will be finished soon, so I should be updating soon.

Im not trying to race you, just Im on your shirt tails with my build, which has helped immensely with my project watching your pictures and kind of following your lead.

But my car will be better than yours when I'm done ;) just kidding

OK folks, finally an update on the last 10 months of progress. Got my engine back from the machine shop. The longblock is finally all assembled, and here it is with a fresh coat of paint sprayed this weekend. Most of all the engine accessories have been cleaned, blasted, reconditioned, and painted awaiting to be bolted back on the engine. Got my radiator recored as well. You have no idea the amount of hours of work have gone into rebuilding the engine and all of it's associated parts. Lots and lots of work, but things so far are coming out beautifully.

Got my wheels back from the re-chromer, and got a new set of Diamond Back Classic Tires. Now, I have to get the tires installed on the rims, then I'll have a roller. Once that is accomplished, I have to rejoin the engine and tranny, and drop it in the chassis. I was hoping to have sent the body off to the body shop by now, but haven't been able to. Some home projects (pool construction mainly) have taken away the availability of paint and body funds, so I'll have to wait a bit longer to recover

Here are some pics. Of course I'll be putting in a set of fresh spark plugs. LOL.

DSCN4059_zpscee48749.jpg

DSCN4064_zps8b2f1ce6.jpg

DSCN4065_zps3a808201.jpg

DSCN4000_zpsad83fd85.jpg

DSCN4001_zps09f837ad.jpg

DSCN4068_zps7c4e4e09.jpg

DSCN4066_zpseba00bf5.jpg

Here's some pics of the brakes complete. And, the rebuilt carb.

2002-12-31230000-418.jpg

DSCN2989.jpg

2002-12-31230000-414.jpg

DSCN3041.jpg

Parts actually look better in person. The camera flash makes the indoor pics look like crap.

What brand / model / size tire is that? From whom did you get it?

Tony, the wheels are re-chromed originals.

Ed, the tires are from Diamond Back. They are the Diamond Back II's 225-75-15's. The tires are made by Toyo, then Diamond Back smooths the front wall of the tires, and vulcanizes a White Wall stripe on the tire the width of your choice.

Diamond Back Classic Radial Tires

Tony, the wheels are re-chromed originals.

Ed, the tires are from Diamond Back. They are the Diamond Back II's 225-75-15's. The tires are made by Toyo, then Diamond Back smooths the front wall of the tires, and vulcanizes a White Wall stripe on the tire the width of your choice.

Diamond Back Classic Radial Tires

very nice, I am running the same tires on my riv.

post-30759-143141890279_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

hey Rob! Space Coast Plating in Melborne is a couple hours north of you....they have a great reputation & are the place to go for chrome in cent. Fl......nice work, Drew

Hey Rob,

The car is really taking shape ! Thank you for posting all this information for other Riviera owners to learn from. IF I win the lottery before my '65 Gran Sport sells, I'll be looking back for cosmetic resto/detailing tips. Keep up the good work !

BTW, I've listed my GS in the AACA Buick for sale forums...

Take care,

Rich

UPDATE:

OK, after months of not being able to do anything on the car due to a crazy summer and other boring stuff, I have FINALLY have been able to allocate some time to her the last couple of weeks. Got my torque convertor back from the rebuilder, got the engine and tranny married, and got them stuffed back in the chassis as they were done almost 50 years ago by Buick. After dropping in the motor, I have been working on getting the rest of the engine and tranny related parts and pieces back together. She's finally coming along, and she's finally a roller.

I ordered a Waldron's exhaust system, so when that comes in, I'll be installing the exhaust system, and I should be ready to fire her up soon. I plan on starting and breaking in the motor on the chassis as sits before I put the body back on the frame. Unfortunately my body is still sitting on the body stand where I placed it almost two years ago, but I will be sending it out to the paint and body shop before the new year. If all goes well and as planned, I am hoping to have the car mostly complete in the next year or so. We'll see if I can pull it off.

Here are some recent pics. I'll pull the chassis outside and take some better pics once I get the exhaust system in, and installed.

Chassis is close to being complete. Hoo-ray!!!!!!

It's amazing to me looking at the older pics above when I took the body off the frame, and looking at the chassis, motor, and trans now. They look brand freaking new. Hard to believe its the same chassis.

Enjoy.

DSCN4132_zpsedbcb301-1.jpg

DSCN4116_zpsd348d80e.jpg

DSCN4131_zps3402ff38.jpg

DSCN4120_zps2474ecd2.jpg

DSCN4123_zps5bf524e7.jpg

DSCN4127_zpsd4a7407d.jpg

Looking awesome Rob. Great to see the progress. Let us know how the exhaust system install goes.

Rsmalling: Hello, Nice to see you on here. Glad u kept your Riv after Pomona.

RobJ: looking beautiful. You've inspired me to start a thread with pics of my build progress. Only thing is your build looks like you know what your doing lol I'm afraid I might get banned for some of the choices I've made on my build.

I noticed u have the alignment shims in your upper control arms. Is that just to get it close to where it was when u pulled her apart? Or was it aligned without all the weight of the car?

Regards,

David

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

Rob, is that kick down switch brand new or did u rebuild it? Is that steel vacuum line along side your trans dipstick tube new or did u clean up the original? If new, where did u buy them from?

Regards,

David

Those are all the originals that were on the car that I restored.

I'm fairly certain that Inline tube has the tranny modulator vac hard line.

BTW, I have made more progress since these pics, need to update. I'm taking some much needed time off for the holidays, and will hopefully get more work on the car done as well. Looking forward to it.

Thx Rob. Ok I have the originals I will restore them too. I won't buy from the inline tube guys again (brake lines I bought were not what they promised)

Looking forward to more pix of your progress. Can't to see your exhaust installed. I am following your lead. As long as I stay two steps behind u then I know things will turn out good lol

Got photo bucket thing kind of figured out too thx

Regards,

David

Hi there, Rob,

if I remember correct, you found a new air cleaner decal somewhere. Where did you find that, with small diameter like your original and what would be a specific code to order? I would need one for my own restoration. 1965 Riviera with 401. I already bought one from CARS, but chose a wrong one, D92A-4. It's been great to follow your posts.

Mikael

Edited by Mikael
Checked spelling etc (see edit history)

Yes, what  happened........did Rob J fall off a cliff? Just once I wish someone would do

a  stock resto post on a 65 and actually finish it and not give up or disappear from the face of the earth.  

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1