Rob J

Project 65 Rivy, A Step by Step Journal

PA is a little closer than CA

I've used a company in FL to chrome some plastic for me

If they are as good at metal as they were with plastic, you would do fine:

Universal Electrocoating, Inc. Triple Chrome Plating on plastics

Their galleries show some fine work and the folks there were great to deal with.

That company is 5 minutes from my house. Been meaning to check them out, Not sure if they do metal.

Hey Rob,

I liked your engine sling so much I bought one just like it off amazon. Got it yesterday! Im a sucker for tools! :D

Hey, tools are just like women, you can't ever have enough of them. :D

Would you like to borrow a couple? I was thinking something like the following... "Tools are like RIVIERAS, you can never have too many of them"

Tom Mooney

All,

I had my 65 Riv wheels rechromed at a place in California called Southbay Chrome a subsidiary of Classic Components. Chrome Plating Company |Chrome Plating Service | Chrome Plating Shops | Classic Components

I called several places before I found them and no-one wanted to rechrome steel wheels. I paid $200.00 a wheel a few years ago plus shipping to and from. I just have to say the chrome job was excellent and would send other parts to them. Gerry

Update. Got the engine out and on the stand, and have started to tear it down and go through it. After lots of tedious work in finding a machine shop that is familiar with Nailheads, I finally found a guy in Ft. Lauderdale (Thanks to some kind folks over at V8Buick) that has worked on a number of them. Engine goes off to him in the next couple of weeks.

Frame is stripped to the bone, and I pressure washed it yesterday. It goes to the media blaster soon, then epoxy prime followed by chassis paint.

DSCN3617.jpg

DSCN3619.jpg

DSCN3618.jpg

DSCN3563.jpg

DSCN3622.jpg

Cool Rob,

Where have I seen that face before! :D

I love that stripped down frame!

great pictures! Im still sourcing out parts and what not on my project.

Wheels:

Original Muscle Wheel

Gary McLean is the guy I used with great results. I talked to Jimmy (son) and am sending some off for rechroming.

They (Gary & Jimmy) have my 5 wheels right now. I sent them on Teds recommendation (no pressure Ted!) plus they are an advertiser in the Riview. Three of my wheels weren't in very good shape (moderate rust pitting on the face) and I couldn't find same date coded rust free replacements. I contacted them and talked to Jimmy. He said no problem they could restore my rusty originals for $225ea. Shipping was painful but felt it was worth it to send them to someone who's business is wheels only plus they already have experience doing big Buick wheels which is a big plus. Knowing the starting condition of my wheels, if these things come back satisfactory they will be heros.

Getting wheels rechromed isn't a cheap venture no matter what so having them come back and be anything but excellent is not an option. I wouldn't even want to consider the cost and hassle of doing it over. So....I'm keeping my fingers crossed and going to church.

I Have tried to attach before and after photos of my wheels, but for some reason I keep getting errors. Can some one point me in the right direction. Thanks Gerry

I Have tried to attach before and after photos of my wheels, but for some reason I keep getting errors. Can some one point me in the right direction. Thanks Gerry

Gerry, e-mail me the pics, and I can post them. Thanks for the referral on these guys, as I have two sets of Buick wheels I need restored.

Jason, please post pics when you get your wheels back.

my e-mail is robert@digital-artsav.com

The wheels dont rechrome well. The platers usually grind/buff out the parting line between the painted center and chrome rim and the rechroming process leaves the wheels looking "wavy". It`s pretty easy to pick off the replates. I have two cars with replated wheels (done by previous owners) and I have found they dont hold up nearly as well to the moisture and temp cycles of the midwest. They have a tendency to pit/rust much more quickly than the originals. Perhaps that is due to a nickel/nickel /chrome plate as opposed to the original copper/nickel/chrome. I dont do show cars so ultimate luster is not my priority. I try to find the best originals I can and properly maintain them. The `66-`67 wheels were very poorly plated as new and are the hardest to find in excellent original condition. Even then, the chrome often has a grainy appearance and lacks the luster of the original `64-`65 plate. Say a prayer the replates are being done in Mexico

Tom Mooney

They (Gary & Jimmy) have my 5 wheels right now. I sent them on Teds recommendation (no pressure Ted!) plus they are an advertiser in the Riview. Three of my wheels weren't in very good shape (moderate rust pitting on the face) and I couldn't find same date coded rust free replacements. I contacted them and talked to Jimmy. He said no problem they could restore my rusty originals for $225ea. Shipping was painful but felt it was worth it to send them to someone who's business is wheels only plus they already have experience doing big Buick wheels which is a big plus. Knowing the starting condition of my wheels, if these things come back satisfactory they will be heros.

Getting wheels rechromed isn't a cheap venture no matter what so having them come back and be anything but excellent is not an option. I wouldn't even want to consider the cost and hassle of doing it over. So....I'm keeping my fingers crossed and going to church.

I'm sending a pallet of wheels to them - mostly 66 style cores-I could not remember why I had pulled apart my piles of wheels but it was too look at the date codes for Jason :) They did a great job last time. I need a set for my 65 project and the cores I pulled for that are pretty weak. (rust).

@ Tom- my experience with the rechromed ones from gary is totally good- none of the problems you mention have come up on my set.

Hi Ted,

Gary or whoever is plating them probably has the proper fixture to do wheels. If they regularly do wheels then they are setup up and taking the time to do them properly. Nickel/nickel chrome or copper/nickle/chrome?

Tom Mooney

P.S. Still have that breather?

Rob you sir are a progress champion! Hopefully I am able to work as smoothly once I get out to Fallon and have some space to work that is not in my driveway.

Gerry, e-mail me the pics, and I can post them. Thanks for the referral on these guys, as I have two sets of Buick wheels I need restored.

Jason, please post pics when you get your wheels back.

my e-mail is robert@digital-artsav.com

Got all five wheels today and opened each box with hesitant anticipation knowing if there is a problem it won't be easy to get corrected being so far away. All five wheels look phenomenol. Its hard to believe they are the same ones I sent. I had to check the date codes to be sure. I'll try to post before and after pics if I get a chance. There are zero polishing or grind marks which is amazing considering the rust pitting that was on the face. The chrome finish appears to be of very high quality with excellent depth and consistent smoothness.

They even painted the inserts which I "assumed" they wouldn't do and never questioned it. Even the paint job meets my high level of expectation. Unfortunately they are black so I'll have to redo them in gray. I'm sure they would have painted using the gray had I asked them to.

So as I said in another post these guys would be heros if the wheels came back to my expectation and they are in my book. Shipping both directions was $335. Tough pill to swallow but seeing the quality makes it irrelevant. So total bill was $1460.

Thanks Ted for the excellent recommedation.

Sounds great Jason. I'm really looking forward to before and after pics of those wheels. I've got two sets that need re-chroming.

Rob.

Project Update:

Got all the old bushings, balljoints, bearings ect. all removed from the chassis parts. Got the frame, rear axle housing, and major suspension pieces all blasted by a local blaster, and today, I epoxy primed the frame, rear axle housing, and other suspension pieces. Should shoot the Chassis Black soon, then on to reassembly time. Looking forward to actually starting to put things back together. Lots of tedious and time consuming work cleaning, blasting, and wire wheeling all the little small parts and pieces.

Here's the pile of all the old suspension and brake pieces removed that will get trashed.

DSCN3693.jpg

Rear axles reconditioned, and the new bearings pressed on. (My 12 ton press sure came in handy on this project)

Before:

DSCN3675.jpg

After:

DSCN3685.jpg

Frame, suspension, and rear end pieces back from the blaster.

DSCN3697.jpg

Frame and rear axle housing freshly epoxy primed.

DSCN3698.jpg

DSCN3701.jpg

DSCN3699.jpg

Small pieces cleaned and detailed.

DSCN3691.jpg

More to come soon.

Very nice work - Looking good! I recall when I did my frame I stored it on its side along the wall in the garage so it wouldn't take up a whole bay while I was restoring everything that goes on it, then when suspension, eng and trans was all complete I layed it down and started assembling. It was a bit discouraging for months because I was putting in a lot of hours with no real visible sign of progress but then within a couple weeks the whole chassis was assembled.

Update:

Been raining the last couple of weekends here, so my progress has been slowed a bit. But, finally was able to paint my frame, continue to clean and recondition-rebuild parts, received my Steering box back from Lares, my center link back from Rare Parts, and started bolting parts back on the frame. It's nice to at least begin to start putting things back together. Once I get the chassis a bit further along, the engine and tranny re-builds will be next. Still a long way to go, but at least I'm starting to see clean and shiny parts.

DSCN3718.jpg

DSCN3713.jpg

DSCN3714.jpg

DSCN3715.jpg

Rebuilt steering box back from Lares

DSCN3721.jpg

DSCN3723.jpg

Cleaned, Blasted and painted Rear Brake parts.

DSCN3704.jpg

DSCN3712.jpg

Before and after of rear Upper Control Arm with new Bushings installed from Rare Parts.

DSCN3681.jpg

DSCN3708.jpg

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)