Gen. cut-out

Old26Buick

In the late 1970s I went through a bunch of NAPA cutouts... The contacts on them were aluminum and just not as good as the original tungsten type. Ended up just going to a local electronics store and got the biggest power diode they had on the shelf. Doesn't take much to pop the cover off, cut the guts out of a cutout and solder in a diode. All it takes is some cutting tools and a soldering iron. Mine has worked fine in the 35 years since I performed the operation. If you aren't confident in your diode selection ability I guess you can follow Jules Greenway's link and buy from MAC's and get the instruction sheet too.

Last I looked NAPA still sells cutouts. But unless they've improved the quality in the last few decades, I'd use that as a last result. Unless you want to use one as a mechanical framework for mounting a diode if you don't want to mess up a period correct Delco cutout. I've saved one Delco cutout for possible future show use but it is unlikely I'll ever transition from being touring centric to being show centric.