1955 Packard Clipper question

Guest packerfan1

Guest packerfan1

Hi, I inherited a 1955 Packard Clipper as well as many other parts. I have either a windshield or a back window...not sure how to determine. Can someone help me in determining which it is, a front or a back window?

Guest Gary Hearn

The windshield is much taller and has more of a curve around the sides than the rear window. If you Google "1955 Packard images" you should come up with a hit.

Guest packerfan1

thanks to all. The car I have is complete and is a 400. All of the extra parts I have are from the Clipper. I don't have another glass (back window) to compare to. I did measure the glass and it is 18 1/2 inches tall so I imagine it is a windshield.

Guest Jim_Edwards
If it's a windshield it would be laminated. Two pieces of glass glued together and very obvious looking at the edges.

impala

All automotive glass used since the mid 1930s is laminated safety glass, not just windshields.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Not entirely true, tempered glass was widely used in the 1950s and 1960s, the rear window of my 1957 Pontiac is tempered.

I stand corrected. Now that I think about it the side glass in most new cars today is tempered not laminated. Probably rear windows as well.

I stand corrected. Now that I think about it the side glass in most new cars today is tempered not laminated. Probably rear windows as well.

That's correct. Only windshields are laminated. I don't understand the confusion as it's very easy to see two pieces of glass when looking at the edge. There's also a thin piece of plastic film laminated between the two pieces that's invisible until the glass is broken. The plastic is there to keep the glass from flying all over the place when broken.

impala

• 8 months later...
Guest packerfan1

Hi Curtis,

I would love to sell the windshield. I have so many parts and hate to see them just sitting and not being put to good use. Can you send me your email and I will send you the photos I have.

Thanks,

Debbie dspannan@yahoo.com