Dodge Plymouth Chrysler Mopar flathead 6

Hello, I am restoring a 34 dodge pickup that has a Spitfire engine out of a Desoto or something. It has the wrong engine for that truck, so it is going to be removed. I haven't got the truck home yet to remove it, but will have it in about a month. I have no idea what the condition is. There is no number on the block, it is blank where the number is, so must be a replacement block. Research "Spitfire engine" and see if it is something you might be interested in. Attached is a picture. Thanks, Guy Denton

post-82468-143138860341_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a Mopar flathead 6 engine. Preferably something from the 50s but will consider other years. I'm located in Wichita, KS. Let me know what ya got!

Thanks!

You might want to specify if you want the "long block" (approx. 25") engine used in Chrysler, DeSoto and Canadian built cars or the "short block" (approx. 23") engine used in Plymouth and US built Dodges.

In farm country, you might also look at older combine engines. Apparently a lot of those used Chrysler engines.

Can someone please explain to me what is meant or what is the difference between the 23 and the 25 and please dont say two inches but keep in mind to dummy it down, just not that far down. ;)

The length of the head of the engine measured front to back in inches...

Can someone please explain to me what is meant or what is the difference between the 23 and the 25 and please dont say two inches but keep in mind to dummy it down, just not that far down. ;)

Horsepower and length. Can't dumb it down any further than that.

Yes I figured this but why two different sizes. Is there a cubic inch difference? and if so than why isnt it being reffered to by the cubic inch size instead of long block/short block. Thanks

Long block to me means an engine with most of whats needed already bolted on ready to go and short block meaning bare block but it seems pretty clear that is not what is meant here.

A little more detail would help.

Yes....there is a cubic inch difference.

To expand a bit more, each block size came in different cubic inch displacements depending on year and make. For example the short (23") block came in at least 201, 218 and 230 cu. in. displacements. The long (25") block also came in a number of displacements including 218, 250 and 265.

Sometimes only difference between engines was the crank and rods. Or maybe the bore. So it is possible to build up a Plymouth 218 engine to the specifications of a Dodge 230 engine. Or take a Candian 25" 218 and build it up as a 265.

The short block uses paired bores with offset rods while the long block has all cylinders evenly spaced and the rods are not offset. But a number of accessories like the water pump are the same between long and short blocks (depending on year, etc.)

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)
To expand a bit more, each block size came in different cubic inch displacements depending on year and make. For example the short (23") block came in at least 201, 218 and 230 cu. in. displacements. The long (25") block also came in a number of displacements including 218, 250 and 265.

Sometimes only difference between engines was the crank and rods. Or maybe the bore. So it is possible to build up a Plymouth 218 engine to the specifications of a Dodge 230 engine. Or take a Candian 25" 218 and build it up as a 265.

The short block uses paired bores with offset rods while the long block has all cylinders evenly spaced and the rods are not offset. But a number of accessories like the water pump are the same between long and short blocks (depending on year, etc.)

Very nice, thanks for taking the time :)

A couple more questionsfor 33 PLY.........33Ply wrote..........You might want to specify if you want the "long block" (approx. 25") engine used in Chrysler, DeSoto and Canadian built cars or the "short block" (approx. 23") engine used in Plymouth and US built Dodges................After re-reading this now is it safe to assume that you are asking this question and phrasing it this way because you are trying to determine what size he needs so that it will fit in the vehicle that he has intentions of using it in?

Also what year did they begin using these terms and up until what year did it end. Safe to assume this was a flat-head only term? Long Block/short block.

Is there a list, a compilation of the different size engines that would fit under this long block/short block category in one place. Thank-you

Hi. I actually have 2 of those flatheads,and last i ran them they were good runners, but they are installed in equipment i don't use anymore. It depends on what you are looking to pay as to whether i would be willing to remove one. I was intending on selling them (the equipment) off but one weighs 12000 pounds and the other 13000. It's hard to sell vintage equipment that is heavy nowdays I believe they are both the short block,one's in a Scoopmobile loader. The other is in an American Coleman Airport tug converted to a plow truck.

A couple more questionsfor 33 PLY.........33Ply wrote..........You might want to specify if you want the "long block" (approx. 25") engine used in Chrysler, DeSoto and Canadian built cars or the "short block" (approx. 23") engine used in Plymouth and US built Dodges................After re-reading this now is it safe to assume that you are asking this question and phrasing it this way because you are trying to determine what size he needs so that it will fit in the vehicle that he has intentions of using it in?

Also what year did they begin using these terms and up until what year did it end. Safe to assume this was a flat-head only term? Long Block/short block.

Is there a list, a compilation of the different size engines that would fit under this long block/short block category in one place. Thank-you

I am not sure when this terminology came into being. It might even be a recent Internet thing. And it would make more sense to call them "small block" and "big block" so that the more common usage of "short block" and "long block" would not be pre-empted.

The bigger block was used in myriad applications with a equally large number of displacements. I am not sure of all the variations nor where they might be listed in some convenient form.

I have a feeling than it might be slang possibly conjured up by someone too lazy to look up the appropriate cubic inch displacement. Prob one of those idiots over on the H.A.M.B. :eek:

Couldnt find a ducking emoticon :)

Quite a few years ago i used to have a 1942 Dodge truck with SRW, and 9 ft bed. It had a 230 in it. In the early 90's they were always referred to as the Dodge 230, or Plymouth .....almost universally. And the larger one was called the Chrysler flathead. At some point people were searching for speed equipment for these cars, like split manifolds, and dual carb intakes, and i began hearing all kinds of terminology to describe these engines. There were quite a few people looking for split manifolds from Kansas Kustoms, from a fellow named Yoder back then. I don't think he does it anymore. As the years go by i hear all kinds of new descriptions of things, some have been embellished, or altered,as the younger generation re-writes the "way things were". I think we'll have to get used to it. "That's the way it is", nowadays. Regards

I have a feeling than it might be slang possibly conjured up by someone too lazy to look up the appropriate cubic inch displacement. Prob one of those idiots over on the H.A.M.B. :eek:

Couldnt find a ducking emoticon :)

Jason...for someone who wants to "just get along", you sure aren't very nice. I don't see the guys on the H.A.M.B. being rude by disrespecting and slandering us. Please keep your crappy comments to yourself. I am one of the guys on the H.A.M.B. and I do NOT call the guys on here "idiots". As an additional note to inform you...there are a LOT of guys from the AACA and the Dodge Brothers Club who are on the H.A.M.B., so I would watch what you say more carefully if I were you. Some of the folks that you actually have respect for on here are H.A.M.B. members.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

John, I am pretty sure that you realize that it was an attempt at humor. ( emoticons are used on this here internet thingy :P to show emotions such as humor, sadness, bashfulness ect )

Everyone has their own sense of humor and apparently you just dont get mine or as suggested choose to ignore it. :rolleyes:

I am tiring of this. Please do me a favor and no longer comment to any of my posts. I believe there is way that you can lock me out of your view, in other words there is some little button you can enable that would hide all of my posts from you ( any anyone else that chooses ) :(

Please push the button John. ( where is that begging emoticon when you need it ) ;)

Even if you happen to be on someone elses comp and you stumble across a post that I have made and no-one else seems to know the answer but you just happen to know it please dont comment. :confused:

Thank-you in advance for your consideration. :)

Maybe you are right....I just don't get the humor in calling someone stupid...whether you use those "stupid" emoticons or not. An insult is an insult. We know how you feel about hotrodders already. We are tiring of reading it. I will be more considerate when YOU are. I guess you can use the "hide" button, too.

Oh no! :eek: Too bad it came to this. :(

But respect is important and some times hard to do in this typed, impersonal internet world. Maybe it will wear off and you guys will "get together" in the future some time. I hope so! You both have some keen insight to share with the rest of us here!

Oh no! :eek: Too bad it came to this. :(

But respect is important and some times hard to do in this typed, impersonal internet world. Maybe it will wear off and you guys will "get together" in the future some time. I hope so! You both have some keen insight to share with the rest of us here!

Yes...as long as we have respect for one another, it should not come to this. So sorry for hijacking this thread.

Please forgive my ignorance,but what is the H.A.M.B.? I've seen several references to it but am not familiar with it . I don't keep current on all these organizations. Jim

The HAMB is the end of the road for the cars some of us appreciate.

I have recently experienced how easy it is to say the wrong thing on a forum. I expressed the comment that no one "in their right mind" would agree with the government proposal to exclude pre - 1960 cars from the anual test M.O.T.) One individual took exception to my "insulting language" ; I wish I had been more careful with my choice of words for it had never been my intention to offend. I am sure Jason never intended to insult anyone but it is too all too easy to come across in a way one would not wish. Perhaps a few conciliatory words from both sides could go a long way to calm the troubled waters.

Ray.

Hi, I have a Dodge engine..The # is D34-I89757..Can you tell me what this out of, or the year and size..Thanks

A D34 would be a 1950 Meadowbrook or Coronet. 230 cu.in. 7.0:1 compression delivering 103 BHP at 3600 RPM and 190 ft.lbs. at 1200 RPM.

I have recently experienced how easy it is to say the wrong thing on a forum. I expressed the comment that no one "in their right mind" would agree with the government proposal to exclude pre - 1960 cars from the anual test M.O.T.) One individual took exception to my "insulting language" ; I wish I had been more careful with my choice of words for it had never been my intention to offend. I am sure Jason never intended to insult anyone but it is too all too easy to come across in a way one would not wish. Perhaps a few conciliatory words from both sides could go a long way to calm the troubled waters.

Ray.

Hello Ray, thanks for your concern, my thought is this.

If we all analyzed everything we wished to say so that every little detail and every little consideration could be taken into account than this might happen,

1- We would never give our thoughts and opinions because we cant please everyone at all times, in order to reach a state in which we did not affect someone we would have to stop posting all together. The reason for giving our opinions is too affect other people. Again you cant please everyone all of the time.

In my opinion as long as you are not directly intentionally and without due justice hurting someone ( I.E using names and pinpointing a target ) than you have done absolutely nothing wrong.

Now getting to the more specific topic, this is the AACA, we as a group in a perfect world all gather here to cherish and discuss the preservation of the antique car.

The H.A.M.B is a site where people gather to discuss their modifications to an extent that seemingly not one of us ( in a perfect world )would have any sort of interest to join or be a part of.

In my opinion this is the site where we should be discouraging the sites such as the H.A.M.B, not posting links to it and and not offering opinions of it being a great site to visit because of the wealth of knowledge and oh yeah the parts that can be had.

Are you freakin kidding me.

The moderators of this site have control over what is posted and it will be a sad day indeed if anyone of us is ever discouraged from making a post that discourages sites such as the HAMB.

I will continue to do so and I am not the least bit sorry if my post hurt anyones feelings!

Whatever. I guess I am the one who will reap the benefits of the hotrodders like the parts I got from cheap to free here. I got these parts from the guys on the H.A.M.B. I had been looking for up to 35 years for some of them. The guys there take those rare parts and get rid of them to guys like me. I am VERY happy about it. #1-Clum 9150 light switch=$2.00. #2-Restored drag link=$20.00. #3-Lower window trim (coupe only)=$50.00. $4-Crankhole cover=$3.00. #5-DRT-08 air cleaner=$2.00. Nope....I am not freaking kidding you. By the way....PLEASE don't go to the H.A.M.B.....makes for more parts available to me. Thanks.

post-37352-14313886958_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138869582_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138869587_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138869591_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138869595_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have a running 218 flathead 6 in a 1950 Plymouth special deluxe (2 door). Also have a 218 flathead 6 in a Plymouth special deluxe (4 door), don't know the last time it ran. Building a street rod and looking to sell the engines.

I can understand how you might feel you are doing someone a favour by offering these engines to someone who could put them to good use but I am tempted to say you have no idea what a can of worms you are opening up (again) by posting as a rodder on this site. We really don't need to get into that bad place again just now. May I suggest you try a site more suited to your interests?

Ray.

Chances are good Ray its just someone trying to stirr things up, some people have nuthin better to do with their time and anyway that is a much more pleasant thought to keep in mind.