1934 Dodge Tail Lights & Stalks Wanted

Guest T J Richards

Guest DodgeKCL

I'm going to stick my neck out and say 'stalk' is Australian for 'stanchion',the post,bar or support bracket that headlights or tail lights mount on.

Guest T J Richards
I'm going to stick my neck out and say 'stalk' is Australian for 'stanchion',the post,bar or support bracket that headlights or tail lights mount on.

LOL and the winner is DodgeKCL :)

Everyone is a comedian !!! LOL

I've attached a photo of Mark's ( USA Mark who has a 34 Dodge Convertable ) rear tail light and "Stalk".

This is the same one on my ( yet to be restored so I wont post an embarassing photo ) 34 Dodge 4 Door sedan. You can also see in the next photo of another friend of mine who has a 34 4 Door Sedan with a Richards Body. Both of these lights are mounted to the rear mudguard.

The next photo is of a guy who has just finished his 34. These rear lights are mounted on a "stalk" which is moulded onto the metal surround that goes over the rear bumper bar iron ( which eventually goes onto the chassis /body bolt )

As far as I know these are the correct ones for the 34 but god only knows how often they changed things, especially for export models.

Hope this helps

Ian

notice how I put "stalk" in inverted commas....being Australian and all !! :D

post-44589-143138852754_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138852774_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138852777_thumb.jpg

I thought all 34 [passenger] tail lights were like the cream car, Mark.

Some Oz cars had the stalks that extended all the way to the edge of the bumper bar [like mine]. They were lengthened to suit the laws of that state.

And then there was the rear switch.

Manuel in Oz

PS I love those pics. I am interested in all 33s and 34s.

So Ian, are you telling us that the bracket ( stalk ) that is sheet metal and attaches tailight to fender is correct for all 34 USA models and the bracket that attaches tailamp to bumper is how they did it export?

Seems to me that I dont remember seeing the bracket that attaches to the bumper before so at this point I am assuming this was export only?

Are these the same brackets as used on 33 models?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest T J Richards
So Ian, are you telling us that the bracket ( stalk ) that is sheet metal and attaches tailight to fender is correct for all 34 USA models and the bracket that attaches tailamp to bumper is how they did it export?

Seems to me that I dont remember seeing the bracket that attaches to the bumper before so at this point I am assuming this was export only?

Are these the same brackets as used on 33 models?

The photos attached are the closest "Stalk" I could find are listed as 28-31 Chrysler made by Dennis Gooch in N.Z.

The Aussie 1933 Dodge used this type mounted on the rear fenders.

The DB1934 licence plated 1934 Aussie Dodge in the above photo is using the stalks I am looking for.

thanks

T J Richards

post-68806-143138853555_thumb.jpg

post-68806-143138853563_thumb.jpg

Hey guys.

The bracket "stalk" that attached from the fender to the brake light isn't sheet metal but in fact cast. The are reasonably sturdy. Mine are at the body shop otherwise I'd take a close up to show you. I've attached a few more photos.

The rusty car ( an american 34 car ) you can see the cast bracket attaching where the rear bumper iron bolts to the chassis. This is one type.

The other is a white convertable and this is the same type I have which is the same as on Mark's convertable. The cast "stalk" one. I don't believe either one was solely for export but either "option" I have seen I have seen on many types of 34's both here and in America.

post-44589-143138853567_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313885357_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138853573_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138853575_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138853578_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313885358_thumb.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

I stand by my original American/Canadian interpretation of the Australian term 'stalk'. A stalk up here is only used in the vegetable world. As in cornstalk. Webster's Dictionary,Springfield Mass.,which I keep at my desk, says "stalk- a plant stem". "stanchion-an upright bar or post or support". I believe if you are looking for head light or tail light stanchions in North America you will have to use the words we use as the British have learned to use. Fender instead of wings or mudguards, hood instead of bonnet,trunk instead of boot,roof instead of hood,convertible instead of drophead,passenger's side instead of near side,sidewalk instead of pavement,generator instead of dynamo,bulb instead of lamp,hubcap instead of nave plate, tire instead of tyre,gas instead of petrol,oil pan instead of sump,seat instead of squab,windshield instead of windscreen,direction signals instead of trafficators,right hand side of the road instead of the wrong,etc.

I stand by my original American/Canadian interpretation of the Australian term 'stalk'. A stalk up here is only used in the vegetable world. As in cornstalk. Webster's Dictionary,Springfield Mass.,which I keep at my desk, says "stalk- a plant stem". "stanchion-an upright bar or post or support". I believe if you are looking for head light or tail light stanchions in North America you will have to use the words we use as the British have learned to use. Fender instead of wings or mudguards, hood instead of bonnet,trunk instead of boot,roof instead of hood,convertible instead of drophead,passenger's side instead of near side,sidewalk instead of pavement,generator instead of dynamo,bulb instead of lamp,hubcap instead of nave plate, tire instead of tyre,gas instead of petrol,oil pan instead of sump,seat instead of squab,windshield instead of windscreen,direction signals instead of trafficators,right hand side of the road instead of the wrong,etc.

Then we lose a bunch of the interest in the world. For example this morning it took me a second to register what the fellow from England mentioned about the noise outside the office window was. He said that a "bin lorry" had blocked the road... Took me a moment to translate that to garbage truck.

Hi KCL,

Interesting the variations and some we have different words as well. All are unique in their own way.

The ones we tend to use are :

Mudguards, hood and bonnet depends who you talk to here, boot, convertible, we use passenger and drivers side ( drivers being on the right side of course ! ), we use footpath instead of pavement, generator, bulb, hubcap, tyre, petrol unless your filling up with LPG then it is Gas, sump, seat, windscreen, blinkers ( some use indicators ),

Now you know when we sometimes ask a question we tend to have our own slant on a word. But like I said, its interesting. The best thing about this forum, we all have one thing in common and I enjoy the bantering between our counterparts around the world. :)

I enjoy learning the different terms that are used throught the world just dont blame me when I send you a soft cloth top for the hood of your car :D

Bin Lorry, thats a new one.

Quote.......A stalk up here is only used in the vegetable world. As in cornstalk.......same down here

I enjoy learning the different terms that are used throught the world just dont blame me when I send you a soft cloth top for the hood of your car :D

Bin Lorry, thats a new one.

Quote.......A stalk up here is only used in the vegetable world. As in cornstalk.......same down here

I have seen both the ones I have on my 34 are the bumper mounted type, as in the photos

Hi KCL,

Interesting the variations and some we have different words as well. All are unique in their own way.

The ones we tend to use are :

Mudguards, hood and bonnet depends who you talk to here, boot, convertible, we use passenger and drivers side ( drivers being on the right side of course ! ), we use footpath instead of pavement, generator, bulb, hubcap, tyre, petrol unless your filling up with LPG then it is Gas, sump, seat, windscreen, blinkers ( some use indicators ),

Now you know when we sometimes ask a question we tend to have our own slant on a word. But like I said, its interesting. The best thing about this forum, we all have one thing in common and I enjoy the bantering between our counterparts around the world. :)

Well said Ian

Hi knobless,

When you check the car out see if they have any striker plates and those little spring loaded keepers that sit in the door pillars. I've been trying to find some but we are a little thin on supply here in Australia.

I'll make a list of things to check for.

Hey knobless,

3 things I'm after if you find em.

1/ Door striker plates. This pic isn't ours as mine has the holes offset.

2/ Spring loaded keepers

3/ Top left thing in the picture that a bolt goes through and this thing sits over the rear bumper bar iron.

Thanks for looking for me, but only if you get the chance.

Ian

post-44589-143138855276_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138855278_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313885528_thumb.jpg

Hey knobless,

3 things I'm after if you find em.

1/ Door striker plates. This pic isn't ours as mine has the holes offset.

2/ Spring loaded keepers

3/ Top left thing in the picture that a bolt goes through and this thing sits over the rear bumper bar iron.

Thanks for looking for me, but only if you get the chance.

Ian

The lower bumper bolt cover on your image 3 is available from N/C Industries in Sayre, Pennsylvania. The door strikes and spring loaded keepers used to be available from a fellow in the Los Angeles area, unfortunately he died a while back and I don't know of a current supplier of new or reproduction parts for that.